My Slow Divorce from Walt Disney World

The pandemic and subsequent closing (albeit short in FL) gave handed them a golden opportunity to "reset".
Yes it did which I think a lot of us figure. It's silly the system they created with genie plus, my fellow DISers in our area and ones that now live in Orlando agree as well. It's stressing everyone out trying to feel like you can get the rides you want and trying to plan for their families that don't go often. Silly I tell ya.

Ok ✅
I don't care about the political views of CEOs because they don't represent the people that work there. Boycotts hurt the economy and don't accomplish much. If I'm going to divorce a company it's going to be because I no longer like their product or I don't find value in it.

Agree....boycotts are dumb, and they never work. People like to think that they do, because those same people believe that most people feel the same way that they do. If boycotts worked....we'd see Disney offering up huge discounts, and that's not happening. This isn't Disney's first rodeo on the culture war front....and likely won't be its last.

The pandemic and subsequent closing (albeit short in FL) gave handed them a golden opportunity to "reset".

True, and lots of other companies and businesses did the same thing. Some are needing to adjust back now that everything is open again. Like Amazon....they hired like crazy during the pandemic, but now stated in a recent earnings call that they over hired. Peloton is looking for capital. Netflix is cancelling some upcoming projects, including Meghan Markel's upcoming animated children's series (which, if you're like me, is the first and last time you heard about it ;).

Monetizing the fast pass system was an obvious cash infusion I guess....but they'll need to do a better job with it. Sounds like it's mostly a disaster. Disney has made really smart moves over the years....they invested 3 billion into the parks division coming out of the Great Recession that really fueled boom times for the company up and until the pandemic. They've zigged when others have zagged. Time will tell if these current moves will stick.

True, and lots of other companies and businesses did the same thing.
And I'll be happy to call them out on their company themed discussion boards if I feel like they went too far with it.

I think the things with Disney I would compare to other companies is streamlining menus, taking away entertainment offerings and cutting staffing levels. But Disney went further than most by monetizing FP and ending DME.

Ok ✅

Agree....boycotts are dumb, and they never work. People like to think that they do, because those same people believe that most people feel the same way that they do. If boycotts worked....we'd see Disney offering up huge discounts, and that's not happening. This isn't Disney's first rodeo on the culture war front....and likely won't be its last.
It should be their last. The majority of people don't want to hear CEO', actors, or anyone in the entertainment industry's views on politics or culture wars. We just want to be entertained.

It should be their last. The majority of people don't want to hear CEO', actors, or anyone in the entertainment industry's views on politics or culture wars. We just want to be entertained.
I couldn't disagree more. There is a huge surge of people now paying attention to politics thanks to some recent events (I won't say more, for risk of points). People want to support companies that share their values (whatever side of the aisle those fall on). Maybe you don't, certainly some people don't, but the days of the general public giving their money to people whose values they don't support are largely over.

I often wonder what the actual percentage of people in this country can afford a Disney trip. Despite the crowds, I believe the percentage has to be really small. We got hooked on WDW during the mild 2008 recession. The 40% off discounts made it affordable for us. We took a five-year break from 2013 to 2018. I discovered some TA discounts and took a trip in 2018. We went three times during the pandemic taking advantage of the deep discounts and low crowds.
Frankly, there weren't a lot of vacation options during the pandemic or we wouldn't have done that.

I rented points this go around. I have a hard wrapping my head around what some people are paying to visit the parks this year. In reality, I know it's a very small percentage of people doing that. This forum gives you a distorted view of the economy.

I couldn't disagree more. There is a huge surge of people now paying attention to politics thanks to some recent events (I won't say more, for risk of points). People want to support companies that share their values (whatever side of the aisle those fall on). Maybe you don't, certainly some people don't, but the days of the general public giving their money to people whose values they don't support are largely over.
That may be the case in your world. In my world, nobody cares. Nobody even talks about that stuff.

That may be the case in your world. In my world, nobody cares. Nobody even talks about that stuff.
Not just my world. Maybe not your world, but your world is an increasingly shrinking place. The views of the American public, according to polling reported by Corporate Wellness magazine (references in the footnotes if you go to the link):
  • 87 percent of consumers will purchase a product because a company advocated for an issue they care about. (1)
  • 92 percent of consumers say they have a more positive image of a company when the company supports a social or environmental issue. (2)
  • 66 percent of consumers are willing to pay extra for products and services that come from companies committed to positive social and environmental impact. (3)
https://www.corporatewellnessmagazi...e-social-responsibility-connects-us-consumers

I think if someone is paying thousands more than me they should get more perks. I still get some, but not as many. I'm fine with that...if I wasn't I'd go elsewhere.
Perks are not an all encompassing thing. We were talking about evening EMH which used to be for all guests for quite some time and are now only for Deluxe. Respectfully it's a cop out to say what you are saying, it goes without saying that things can reasonably exist at different levels like proximity to the park, dining options, even the type of bed and square footage. However the comment was about EMH removed from all levels in the evening and shifted to just Deluxe. It's different than saying because you're at a Value you expect less simply because of that especially when the exact point was something that used to be given at that Value level.

HOW survey questions are worded can significantly influence the results as well as how objective the organization was in conducting their research. They also never tell you how many people the actually had to ask before they got someone who agreed to participate. Doubt that would make their results truly random. The article those % figures shown above were quoted from relate to surveys conducted back in 2017-8. A LOT has changed since then. I don't consider any one survey as the be-all/end-all position on any topic.

I honestly have NO idea how the 'majority' of people feel on any topic and doubt anyone else knows either. People often try to imply their view is what a 'lot' of others believe as a way to build credibility about their specific opinions.

Last edited:
I think over the next few years people are going to be happy just to find the products they want to buy. I was happy my Sam's had a supply of french fries. They've been out for a month.
LOL, I know what your mean:)
Our stores were out of Ritz Crackers Roasted Veggies for 2 years!!! I got really excited when I found some Roasted Veggie crackers at Walmart last week!

Perks are not an all encompassing thing. We were talking about evening EMH which used to be for all guests for quite some time and are now only for Deluxe. Respectfully it's a cop out to say what you are saying, it goes without saying that things can reasonably exist at different levels like proximity to the park, dining options, even the type of bed and square footage. However the comment was about EMH removed from all levels in the evening and shifted to just Deluxe. It's different than saying because you're at a Value you expect less simply because of that especially when the exact point was something that used to be given at that Value level.
Not following this logic at all. Perks are perks, Disney determines what they are and who gets them. If they change the rules for said perks/eligibility (as they have quite a bit these days), then as a potential consumer, I have a choice to make. I would fully expect more if I paid more - isn't that the major complaint on this thread - lack of value?

I remember buying an annual pass in my early 20s for $200 on my first credit card! I have seen the AllEars.com data and I appreciate you going to the trouble of sourcing it. Although, I had no doubt ticket prices have gone up in the last 40 years as has the population of the US (100M and shifted to the west and southern regions of the country interestingly), cost of labor, housing, goods, services and other things (whether in proportion to each other, to value received, household income, or aligned with inflation is a different story). Regardless, the market has borne the cost of tickets (until now), otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Back to my original question, it seems much of the anecdotal responses on crowd levels draw all the way back to the 80-90s - and while I am sure there were days with little or no waits (just as I saw in January during a few weekdays before the onslaught of Marathon weekend btw). Maybe I should have qualified my question a little better - what's so different now than 10-20 years ago. Yes, I am aware of the recent takeaways, anecdotal "experience" and "magic" observations etc (which I haven't really seen personally but ok)... I am actually impressed that people will wait 2-3 hours to get on a ride in the first place lol.

It seems we aren't even considering the impacts of the last two years, park attendee behavioral changes, and the constant pounding the CMs are taking. Yet, for some reason, its all the current CEOs fault. I am not a fan of the changes, especially as a new DVC owner, But, it still seems a bit imbalanced to me, so that's why I am asking - I am clearly missing something.
The difference is shortened park hours, less cast members manning the rides which means they aren't running at full capacity, more ride breakdowns, and more resorts/hotels without adding a 5th park.

The difference is shortened park hours, less cast members manning the rides which means they aren't running at full capacity, more ride breakdowns, and more resorts/hotels without adding a 5th par
So that I understand, you are advocating the solution is to add a 5th park?

It also depends on how much your world differs from what is seen as the norm. A family that isn’t part of the norm will more likely care if a company is inclusive.

Respectfully also, it's my opinion. You're allowed to see it as a 'cop out,' although I don't understand why you would say so. I'm not a Disney apologist by a long shot, but I don't think that my $3,000 vacation should have the perks of a $10,000 one. Feel free to disagree, it's fine by me. The loss of EMH was a bummer, but it won't affect me and my trip as a repeat guest, nor will it affect those who are choosing Value for their first trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter