My Slow Divorce from Walt Disney World

The solution would be to add more park hours, run rides at full capacity, maintain the rides so that they don't break down (they had plenty of time to do this when the parks were closed due to covid) and add a 5th park. All of those things combined would help.
You have quite a few assumptions built into your view - one being - that full employee capacity is being controlled as a cost cutting function - not sure I agree given that current unemployment in the Orlando area is almost back to pre-pandemic levels (Feb 2020 @2.5 / Mar 2022 @2.9), but I don't have the real data or insight to support what Disney may or may not be doing purposefully.

It also depends on how much your world differs from what is seen as the norm. A family that isn’t part of the norm will more likely care if a company is inclusive.
I'm part of the middle-class world. I would probably answer yes to the questions in pp survey, but in reality, I only look at price and quality when I'm shopping. I may be wrong, but I think that's how the majority of people shop.

Respectfully also, it's my opinion. You're allowed to see it as a 'cop out,' although I don't understand why you would say so. I'm not a Disney apologist by a long shot, but I don't think that my $3,000 vacation should have the perks of a $10,000 one. Feel free to disagree, it's fine by me. The loss of EMH was a bummer, but it won't affect me and my trip as a repeat guest, nor will it affect those who are choosing Value for their first trips.
It affects people that used EMH and stay in value resorts. I've always stayed deluxe and have never done an EMH. I didn't even know they changed it until I read it on this thread. I leave in 10 days I should probably start researching all the changes. Have I mentioned how much I'm looking forward to Universal?:rolleyes:

Respectfully also, it's my opinion. You're allowed to see it as a 'cop out,' although I don't understand why you would say so. I'm not a Disney apologist by a long shot, but I don't think that my $3,000 vacation should have the perks of a $10,000 one. Feel free to disagree, it's fine by me. The loss of EMH was a bummer, but it won't affect me and my trip as a repeat guest, nor will it affect those who are choosing Value for their first trips.
Sometimes it's about other people too. You don't have to be a person who even stays at Value to feel a certain way. As far as affecting as a first time guest of course it can, why would you say that?

Obviously you and I have differing opinions about treatment of guests. In any case I'm off to enjoy my ride on Hogwarts Express. Have a good day :)

Sometimes it's about other people too. You don't have to be a person who even stays at Value to feel a certain way. As far as affecting as a first time guest of course it can, why would you say that?

Obviously you and I have differing opinions about treatment of guests. In any case I'm off to enjoy my ride on Hogwarts Express. Have a good day :)
Perhaps I should have clarified-I meant the usual first time guest would have no idea that this perk was now missing and therefore wouldn't miss it or care. I sense you're annoyed with me, and I don't know why. I'm not selfish or self-centered, just stating my personal opinion, which of course doesn't affect yours-or anyone else's. You enjoy that trip on the Hogwarts Express.

I totally get what you're saying. My only suggestion to Disney would be to keep the EMH for all...because I think it's a nice benefit for anyone who wants to take advantage and rope drop. I've never been one of those people. But we only stayed at deluxe or DVC properties back when we went. And now, if I was actually going to shell out what they're asking for at one of their deluxe resorts, I'd like....I don't know...maybe a once a week after hours party at one of the resorts. I don't think the deluxe resorts are worth what they are charging. So what they did instead....is take something away from everyone, and give it only to the deluxe resort stay folks. It doesn't feel like a big perk when it's something everyone already had....and now it's been taken away from Moderate resort guests on down. It feels like Disney is being cheap. At least that's how I see it. I don't it as some big class thing...I've traveled around from 3 star to 5 star....and like you, if I'm going for a 3 star hotel in Europe...I totally expect that I'm going to get what I pay for.

I commented in another thread awhile back that DH and I are headed to a 5 star resort in Los Cabos soon...we've been there before, and the setting, service, food...etc, are really just next level. First trip out of the pandemic gate for us and we just want to chill with what we know will be an incredible week. Just for fun I priced out a comparable stay at the GF...club level....with park hoppers, genie+...etc, alone, no airfare....and it was actually more than this resort plus round trip business class airfare....which is kind of insane. I know...very different types of vacations, but if you're paying that much more for a deluxe, the service/perks should be better. Once you're in the parks...everyone is essentially in the same pool.

Without having actually read this thread, might I ask... which would you prefer? Park regeneration and expansion or low ticket prices? Because prima facie, you can't have both without some kind of black magic? Maybe I'm being naïve...

It should be their last. The majority of people don't want to hear CEO', actors, or anyone in the entertainment industry's views on politics or culture wars. We just want to be entertained.

I hear what you're saying, but at some point I guess I realized that in this insane social media/instant news world we live in, at some point, someone that I like or admire is going to say or do something stupid. And some companies that make products I purchase might do that too. Elon Musk is a brilliant thinker and has really done extraordinary things. Love him or hate him....that's the truth. At times, on Twitter, he comes across as a 13 year old looking for a fight. Sometimes I agree with he says, sometimes I think he's an idiot. But not enough that I won't get another one of his cars this December...because it's amazing car. Steve Jobs...another incredible innovator.....changed the world in a lot of ways for the good. I read his biography....and he was actually not a pleasant person most of the time. Still...my house is filled with Apple everything. I guess I feel like I can only pick so many fights in this life...it's just pointless for things like this in my opinion. And the only thing that the "fight" with Disney is accomplishing....is cable news ratings and acting as a potential stepping stone for people with ambitions we can't discuss on this board. It'll fade away soon enough....and then on to the next thing to rage about.

Without having actually read this thread, might I ask... which would you prefer? Park regeneration and expansion or low ticket prices? Because prima facie, you can't have both without some kind of black magic? Maybe I'm being naïve...
I don’t think the ticket prices are the issue.

I totally get what you're saying. My only suggestion to Disney would be to keep the EMH for all...because I think it's a nice benefit for anyone who wants to take advantage and rope drop. I've never been one of those people. But we only stayed at deluxe or DVC properties back when we went. And now, if I was actually going to shell out what they're asking for at one of their deluxe resorts, I'd like....I don't know...maybe a once a week after hours party at one of the resorts. I don't think the deluxe resorts are worth what they are charging. So what they did instead....is take something away from everyone, and give it only to the deluxe resort stay folks. It doesn't feel like a big perk when it's something everyone already had....and now it's been taken away from Moderate resort guests on down. It feels like Disney is being cheap. At least that's how I see it. I don't it as some big class thing...I've traveled around from 3 star to 5 star....and like you, if I'm going for a 3 star hotel in Europe...I totally expect that I'm going to get what I pay for.

I commented in another thread awhile back that DH and I are headed to a 5 star resort in Los Cabos soon...we've been there before, and the setting, service, food...etc, are really just next level. First trip out of the pandemic gate for us and we just want to chill with what we know will be an incredible week. Just for fun I priced out a comparable stay at the GF...club level....with park hoppers, genie+...etc, alone, no airfare....and it was actually more than this resort plus round trip business class airfare....which is kind of insane. I know...very different types of vacations, but if you're paying that much more for a deluxe, the service/perks should be better. Once you're in the parks...everyone is essentially in the same pool.
Everyone pays the same for the park tickets. Deluxe perks should be had AT the resort.

I don’t think the ticket prices are the issue.

Again, without having read this thread exhaustively (to my own detriment) I'd imagine that sometimes, people become disenfranchised with Disney due to spiralling ticket prices. I know that is my bone of contention with them. I mean, the inflation in park tickets has been ASTOUNDING!

I don't think the deluxe resorts are worth what they are charging. So what they did instead....is take something away from everyone, and give it only to the deluxe resort stay folks
That was part of my point about saying priorities and then talking about removing from the other resorts. It's not just Values, it's Mods they removed it from. The prices Disney has charged for their rooms is really more its own league. Dropping 10k is also not something I would be boasting (well you get what I mean not quite boasting but like "I'm paying this much" kind of mentality about because that's absolutely crazy talk (meaning the prices they charge are crazy talk).

In the world of travel the exact price you pay has less to do with things than people think. We stayed at The Wynn and The Encore both 5 star hotels for the price of Disney's Value.

ETA: here's our current offer we have
Rates from $119 per night
From $259 per night, Friday and Saturday
Two-night minimum stay required; Restricted dates may apply​
0s2bgEvKchpjiRSdZsFLoP7AN9Wki0xF6gSf32I3vStuhYB7mhvqY4SHTtHt1Z6744g6ZlJAzljJHJoKn2hQGCdEgx8eD2gynHmWAzI4MqG_pP7E6CliVX8lKv2A3FH0Dr-LcPbJlNB4PhZ0vg=s0-d-e1-ft
$25 in FREECREDIT
MpSCm2ovP5UcahlwpIinuH01ARy-QoB91l4XMS2BKzHevphMhcocqEm2-lvxeL_Bd4rqx12UM025pxY-N1TO0vi4fXf5b-dUIEF8wOJKht9_pC6_dHVNrsYBP6WiiI2a9U_RvPyQF-spdkC07HMf52T6bIiFHMsYXsnH02qz7tA=s0-d-e1-ft
$125 in Resort Credit
Plus, make the most out of your getaway and receive an additional $100 in Resort Credit when you stay at least five nights.​

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying, but at some point I guess I realized that in this insane social media/instant news world we live in, at some point, someone that I like or admire is going to say or do something stupid. And some companies that make products I purchase might do that too. Elon Musk is a brilliant thinker and has really done extraordinary things. Love him or hate him....that's the truth. At times, on Twitter, he comes across as a 13 year old looking for a fight. Sometimes I agree with he says, sometimes I think he's an idiot. But not enough that I won't get another one of his cars this December...because it's amazing car. Steve Jobs...another incredible innovator.....changed the world in a lot of ways for the good. I read his biography....and he was actually not a pleasant person most of the time. Still...my house is filled with Apple everything. I guess I feel like I can only pick so many fights in this life...it's just pointless for things like this in my opinion. And the only thing that the "fight" with Disney is accomplishing....is cable news ratings and acting as a potential stepping stone for people with ambitions we can't discuss on this board. It'll fade away soon enough....and then on to the next thing to rage about.
I disagree with you. Some issues are worth fighting for. I just don’t think boycotts are the way to go.

Again, without having read this thread exhaustively (to my own detriment) I'd imagine that sometimes, people become disenfranchised with Disney due to spiralling ticket prices. I know that is my bone of contention with them. I mean, the inflation in park tickets has been ASTOUNDING!
Not as astounding as the inflation of food and gas prices. At least people can live without Disney tickets and trust me they will. Its just a matter of time.

That was part of my point about saying priorities and then talking about removing from the other resorts. It's not just Values, it's Mods they removed it from. The prices Disney has charged for their rooms is really more its own league. Dropping 10k is also not something I would be boasting (well you get what I mean not quite boasting but like "I'm paying this much" kind of mentality about because that's absolutely crazy talk (meaning the prices they charge are crazy talk).

In the world of travel the exact price you pay has less to do with things than people think. We stayed at The Wynn and The Encore both 5 star hotels for the price of Disney's Value.
10k? You should visit the budget board where people are spending 20-30k. They need to change the name to the no-budget board.

Not as astounding as the inflation of food and gas prices. At least people can live without Disney tickets and trust me they will. Its just a matter of time.
To be fair, that decision was always being made. Disney vacations weren't ever at the bottom of the scale, there was no way my family could afford them annually growing up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter