• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Name your favorite Walt book

DVC-Landbaron

What Would Walt Do?
Hey guys I need some help! DisneyKidds asked me to name a few good bios on Walt and other than the Bob Thomas one my mind is a blank. (I usual use the library!)

So how about some good titles. I might even pick up a couple!!

Thanks!

I have one called Remebering Walt: Favorite Memories of Walt Disney. It is a hardback book by Amy Booth Green and Howard E. Green. It has interviews with people that knew Walt and they share there expirences. It is very good because the interviews are more personal than a straight out Biograghy. The people interviewed rang from celebraties to people working at Walt's studio to castmembers at DL to his own family and friends. I think its a wonderful book.

There is a new book called Inside the Dream, The personal story of Walt Disney. It is a huge coffee book table. I have many Walt books and this is the best one. The isbn # is 078685350-6

Hope this helps,

Jay

I'm a Big fan of
"The Walt Disney Railroad Story"
but I'm a train fan, so it may not be for everyone.

I've been looking for a biography on Walt Disney and/or a book on the design/construction of WDW. Does anyone have any recommendations?

A good one for the history of WDW is ...oh shoot, I forget the title....I'll have to find it and post tomorrow. Sorry!

I just finished reading the Bob Thomas one...interesting to pick up on the author's biases about some things....but I enjoyed the book. Its my first Walt biography so I have nothing to compare to.

I'd really like a book of Walt quotes...is there one out there?

Lesley - how did you feel the Bob Thomas book was biased? I would love to get an unbiased view of the man, his dreams, and the development of his parks. That assumes that an unbiased account is available, which is probably not the case. Most likely I'll have to read a couple of books - one biased for and one biased against, to get a good overall education. Good thing I have a lot of time on the train :).

I didn't feel that his opinion of Walt was biased....but his judgements of why this or that happened were definitely colored by his personal view. For example....the author goes so far as to blame Walt's persistant problems with his polo injury on the fact that he saw a chiropractor for it rather than having a cast put on.:rolleyes: Even if the guy is a doctor, to make that judgement without having personally examined the injury is quite biased.

I don't really know that it colors the portrayal of Walt at all....but definitely reflects a whole lot about the author!

And that book title is: Since the World Began

I really enjoyed it, though it only goes up to the planning of AK, I think.

Finding good books about Disney is actually very hard. Most books are either company sponsored puff pieces (like Eisner’s biography) or are the usual tracts about how Disney is an it effort to prop-up the white male American agenda and quash the freedom loving granola eating bunny huggers.

On the business side is ‘Storming the Magic Kingdom’ by John Taylor from 1987. It is about the corporate greenmail scandals that rocked the company and the takeover by Roy Disney and the Bass Brothers. And they in turn hired Michael Eisner. The book is written as a business book and from an outside & independent perspective. Reading it will definitely give you a different take on many discussions here on the board.

On the parks the best I’ve seen is “Designing Disney’s Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance” edited by Karal Ann Marling. This is a somewhat scholarly work that accompanied an exhibit which traveled to many art museums. The book is packed with behind-the-scene sketches, drawings and plans. You will find yourself amazed by the WDW that might have been. But the book’s text is also extremely insightful and explains Disney’s unique architecture as storytelling approach. It also explores the impact of the Disney style to the world outside the parks, and how that has in turn affected Disney’s approach. Overall an excellent work.

The best company book is “Disneyland: Inside Story” by Randy Bright. He was a long time Imagineer (one of the best), having worked his way up from the Disneyland itself. The book is a history of Disneyland told by the people who designed and operated the park. It has many stories, debunks and few myths and reveals a few little known events. Anyone who thinks Walt was nothing but a businessman who built cheap will have a very different opinion after reading the book.

There are others that I still have to locate in the vast AV Archieves of Knowledge. A more critical book is called “Vinyl Leaves” and is about Disney’s impact on Florida and American culture. There is another book that I’ve forgotten the title the argues Disney was a major stabilizing force in American society as the country moved from rural to urban/suburban between The Great Depression and Vietnam.

I will continue to dig and post more discoveries as I come across them.

The best book on Disneyland history that I have read is DisneyLand, The Nickel Tour". Inside Story is great, but its out of print and very hard to find (I bought my copy on ebay). Nickle Tour is also written by imagineers and is the most detailed history of Disneyland I have ever read.

Good Historys of WDW are very hard to find. Since The World Began is probably the best, but I wish it was more detailed. Disney published one called Walt Disney World Resort - A Magical Year-By-Year Journey. This give the Disney rose colored glasses version of the park's history, but its not bad. Unfortunately, I beleive it is now out of print.

Stay away from the Unofficial Guide's Inside Walt Disney World. This little book claims to be a behind the scenes history of the park, but it offers little more than speculation and is frequently gets its facts wrong.

I just found another Walt biography on my shelf....its aimed at younger readers, but it has a forward by Diane Disney Miller and she and her aunt Ruth Disney Beecher both approve of it and shared much with the writers during the creation of the book...it gives a more personal sort of look at Walt and tells some of the stories that he was known to tell over and over. I've only read a bit, but I find this one much more personal than the Bob Thomas one...which of course was aimed at an older audience, but is in a large part dry facts; names, dates, events and places.

Oh, the title is "The Man Behind the Magic"

Might be a good one to read to my kids if they're interested....my son and Walt actually have a lot of similarities!

Believe it or not, $350 is pretty much the going price for this book. It has been out of print for a while now and is very sought after by Disney history buffs. I got lucky and got a copy from ebay for $85 last year. Thats the cheepest I have ever seen it.

Wow – I had no idea the price for “Disneyland: Inside Story” so high!

And I definitely second Mr. WDWHound’s suggestion of “Nickel Tour”

Some things I don't think were mentioned

"A Window on Main Street" by Van Arsdale France. In Disney speak, Van France created the Disney University. In lay-speak he was responsible for the employee operating policies (standards, training) at Disneyland. This book was out of print, then last year it was reprinted and amazon had it for sale but it appears to not be available again

E-Ticket magazine. http://www.the-e-ticket.com/ Back issues are availalbe on 2 CD's. These magazines feature articles about the building of the various attractions in Disneyland, interviews with Imagineers. You can glean *a lot* of information about the philosophies that were prevalent during Walt's time.

Originally posted by WDWHound
Believe it or not, $350 is pretty much the going price for this book. It has been out of print for a while now and is very sought after by Disney history buffs. I got lucky and got a copy from ebay for $85 last year. Thats the cheepest I have ever seen it.
"Disneyland: The Inside Story" by Randy Bright -- got it for 50 cents last year. Picked up a 1982 Abrams "Walt Disney's EPCOT Center" hardcover book this year for $1 (the abridged edition, not the unabridged big art book edition).

But the best deal was 10 cents a few years ago for "Walt Disney's Disneyland," a hardcover book from the early 1960s; my wife bought it for our younger daughter, but I recognized it as a rare, early edition of the book by Marty Sklar. I didn't let my daughter touch it!

Where do I get these bargains? At the local public library's annual book sale! And, no, I'm not offering them for sale.

A Window on Main Street
Thanks Hopemax!!! :bounce:

I had forgotten all about that one. About five years ago a friend let me borrow it. It was the first one I read on Disney. It was an eye opener!!! I think it was there that I first heard about the backyard train story! I’m going to see if she still has it. I need to go through it again. And this time not as a naive WDW fan, but a fairly educated Disney nut!!!

Hey I have Randy's book. I'm rich!!!!!!
Vinal Leaves was a bit of a tough read. He could be fascinating but the discussion about consumerism from the Greek times was a bit long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter