NBA at Walt Disney World

Reading through here I don't think anyone did or I missed it. I'm not saying it's not, but MLB or NHL would have been a better comparison. Both are international sports and sure the MLB has gone to Japan but really neither have huge followings outside NA, Japan & Caribbean (MLB) and kinda Europe (NHL). Both leagues get good to decent numbers in their markets but even with national games they aren't getting the same numbers as the NBA or NFL by far. I'm sure Nascar has more viewers outside the playoffs.

I couldn't even tell you the last time I watched any part of an NBA game. I don't care about the league any more, our team got stolen and yes all of us up here in the corner of the country are still bitter about it all. But it's good to have live sports back no matter what it is. Though I'm hoping baseball can get it worked out, in the mean time I've got racing to watch.

Thunder Up!

I don't believe viewership for the NBA will be astronomical based on pent up demand. It's anecdotal, but I intended to watch the Nascar race and the golf match with Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson. I like golf, but don't care about racing. I ended up watching Cars one night and the Muppet Movie the other. Even though I'm dying for live sports, I just didn't really care enough to watch. I don't see the NBA satisfying a whole lot more than basketball fans. Just my humble opinion.

I don't believe viewership for the NBA will be astronomical based on pent up demand. It's anecdotal, but I intended to watch the Nascar race and the golf match with Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson. I like golf, but don't care about racing. I ended up watching Cars one night and the Muppet Movie the other. Even though I'm dying for live sports, I just didn't really care enough to watch. I don't see the NBA satisfying a whole lot more than basketball fans. Just my humble opinion.
If the NBA comes back first they most certainly will do very well in terms of viewership. I don’t think NASCAR compares. I have been watching that even because I’ve been dying for something different that reality TV. The golf match also isn’t until this Sunday with Tiger/Peyton and Phil/Brady. That’s why Disney is invested. They have TV deals with the NBA and if they can get them back that’s another piece of their business operating better.

If the NBA comes back first they most certainly will do very well in terms of viewership. I don’t think NASCAR compares. I have been watching that even because I’ve been dying for something different that reality TV. The golf match also isn’t until this Sunday with Tiger/Peyton and Phil/Brady. That’s why Disney is invested. They have TV deals with the NBA and if they can get them back that’s another piece of their business operating better.
So I didn't even know I didn't miss the golf match. Again, anecdotal, but I don't think I'd watch the NBA either especially since my state isn't locked down anymore and I can actually go to the beach or out for dinner. Besides it's not like Disney is also renegotiating broadcast rights so this is really about saving advertising revenue for ESPN so the next quarterly report isn't a total bloodbath.

So I didn't even know I didn't miss the golf match. Again, anecdotal, but I don't think I'd watch the NBA either especially since my state isn't locked down anymore and I can actually go to the beach or out for dinner. Besides it's not like Disney is also renegotiating broadcast rights so this is really about saving advertising revenue for ESPN so the next quarterly report isn't a total bloodbath.
Honestly, I’ll keep watching NASCAR and old college and NFL football games instead of the NBA. I find that kind of basketball wholly unwatchable.

But why does it have to affect WDW reopening? From what I understand, it seems CSR and GDT are completely open for the next several months.

There are 30 teams in the NBA so if you need say 20 rooms per team (players and coaches), then that’s about 600 rooms required. Throw in another 100-200 rooms for NBA staff, referees, etc and a resort like CSR has plenty enough room to house them all.

They would likely stay isolated to make sure none of the players get the virus so they wouldn’t be able to explore the WDW resort except for maybe private events. But no way do I see WDW shutting down everything for months to accommodate the NBA.

All speculation on my part, but I think they may be looking at an east and a west venue and will go straight to a play-off scenario so eastern conference teams in Orlando and western conference teams in Las Vegas. That would cut your numbers in half making housing the players/staff/coaches, etc. even more doable, IMHO!

I totally agree with you. The NBA coming to WDW and WDW opening to guests are not mutually exclusive.
Totally agree and mentioned it on another thread - and again, and not purposely trying to be vague, but out of he four major sports, the NBA would be the absolute worst for Disney from a PR standpoint - all you have to do is google NBA and/or LeBron James (the face of the league) and their relationship with certain (basically one) countries -
You said the NBA would be the absolute worst PR for Disney, that’s not even remotely the case

I'm with DCBuckeye on this one. tinkerhorn, maybe you aren't aware that Disney has been intricately entwined with the NBA for years. ESPN/ABC has multi-year broadcasting rights to NBA, WNBA and G-League games worth billions of dollars. The NBA Experience just opened last year in DS and WDW not only sponsors the Orlando Magic jerseys (the Disney logo is smack-dab at the top, left-hand side of the jersey so it's visible on TV) but has a huge presence at the Amway Center during Magic games. The Last Dance pulled in 5.6 million viewers - the most-watched documentary in ESPN's history. Bringing the NBA onsite to WDW isn't, all of a sudden, after their long-standing relationship with the NBA, going to be a PR problem for Disney. And, I'm sorry, LeBron James is not the "face of the league". He represents only himself when he tweets or speaks to the media.

The next quarter report will be a major problem. This wouldn’t impact until quarter 4. Disney’s fiscal years start Oct. 1st. No they aren’t renegotiating but the TV money they will get and high viewership will still help.

You might be right. We are rabid basketball fans and are literally foaming at the mouth for any news on this deal. I'm also, (obviously, or I probably wouldn't be on these boards) a huge Disney fan, so the idea of them playing at WWOS is making my brain explode. I'm hoping they come out with some merch!

Now if it was the NHL talking about playing I would excited. NHL playoffs are the best just wish more people would give hockey a chance.

They are talking about it. Looking at 24 teams coming back and potentially playing in Edmonton. But until the US/Canadian border is open for more than just essential travel I'm not sure they can. Unless they are allowed in one country or the other one time due to the games being played. I think MLB is slightly ahead of NHL as far as the league and union negotiations. But I only see what TSN posts about it on twitter, I haven't been following it too closely.

I don’t watch every NBA game, but I am super excited about it coming back.
I’m interested in how no fans will impact things. That’s sort of a wild card. I could see it being very a interesting novelty that is cool at first but will get old fast.

So they’re saying WWOS is a “single site” for games practices and housing. Is there housing actually there? I’ve never been to WWOS

The next quarter report will be a major problem. This wouldn’t impact until quarter 4. Disney’s fiscal years start Oct. 1st. No they aren’t renegotiating but the TV money they will get and high viewership will still help.
Fiscally it may not make a difference until quarter 4 but they get asked about ESPN and ad revenue every earnings call. Having something positive on that front will soften the blow of the astronomical loss they're going to declare from the parks being shut.

Honestly, I’ll keep watching NASCAR and old college and NFL football games instead of the NBA. I find that kind of basketball wholly unwatchable.
I play fantasy basketball and rarely watch the NBA. Keeping up with the stats is more entertaining than a game IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter