NBA at Walt Disney World

All speculation on my part, but I think they may be looking at an east and a west venue and will go straight to a play-off scenario so eastern conference teams in Orlando and western conference teams in Las Vegas. That would cut your numbers in half making housing the players/staff/coaches, etc. even more doable, IMHO!

I totally agree with you. The NBA coming to WDW and WDW opening to guests are not mutually exclusive.

I'm with DCBuckeye on this one. tinkerhorn, maybe you aren't aware that Disney has been intricately entwined with the NBA for years. ESPN/ABC has multi-year broadcasting rights to NBA, WNBA and G-League games worth billions of dollars. The NBA Experience just opened last year in DS and WDW not only sponsors the Orlando Magic jerseys (the Disney logo is smack-dab at the top, left-hand side of the jersey so it's visible on TV) but has a huge presence at the Amway Center during Magic games. The Last Dance pulled in 5.6 million viewers - the most-watched documentary in ESPN's history. Bringing the NBA onsite to WDW isn't, all of a sudden, after their long-standing relationship with the NBA, going to be a PR problem for Disney. And, I'm sorry, LeBron James is not the "face of the league". He represents only himself when he tweets or speaks to the media.

View attachment 496635

Not at all doubting the NBAs affiliation with the NBA - I don't believe I ever said that - not doubting the relationship -
I guess attempting to be vague lead to many misunderstanding where I was going with this, and if that is the case, i apologize -

Regarding LeBron, maybe "face of the NBA" can be debated ? - Most popular player ? Probably, along with Curry
As far as the PR - as others have mentioned , COULD be bad publicity - yes, Disney has a history with the NBA - but, obviously, (if it turns out to be the case) Disney has never delayed the opening of their theme parks due to the NBA

The idea of the NBA starting back up is exciting. But wait until you see how much you miss it without a crowd. My brother watches wrestling and says it’s not the same without a cheering crowd, and the numbers reflect that. I’m not saying no one will watch the NBA without a crowd, but I dont think you’ll see nearly as many people watching from home. By the time they start back up, they have to go through 2-4 weeks of regular season games. Then when the playoffs start in late August, Football is back. And in late July there will be more public areas around the country open that will surely have a lot of people taking advantage of rather than be inside watching sports.

The creation of the super teams kind of killed it for me. What’s the point of watching when you pretty much know who is going to be in the finals before the season starts.
Yeah unlike the 90s. I mean everyone was always surprised the Bulls were in the finals every year lol.

The idea of the NBA starting back up is exciting. But wait until you see how much you miss it without a crowd. My brother watches wrestling and says it’s not the same without a cheering crowd, and the numbers reflect that. I’m not saying no one will watch the NBA without a crowd, but I dont think you’ll see nearly as many people watching from home. By the time they start back up, they have to go through 2-4 weeks of regular season games. Then when the playoffs start in late August, Football is back. And in late July there will be more public areas around the country open that will surely have a lot of people taking advantage of rather than be inside watching sports.

Football back MIGHT be more exciting than wdw reopening!

I’m interested in how no fans will impact things. That’s sort of a wild card. I could see it being very a interesting novelty that is cool at first but will get old fast.
I was dying for baseball. Then I watched some of the Korean League games, and while they play a beautiful game, the novelty wore off after 4 games or so. No fans is really a bummer.

I was dying for baseball. Then I watched some of the Korean League games, and while they play a beautiful game, the novelty wore off after 4 games or so. No fans is really a bummer.
I think basketball with no fans could lead to some cool stuff. But it depends on how much they let you hear. To be able to hear the players and coaches talk would be very interesting to me. Would love to hear some of trash talk that goes on.

I think basketball with no fans could lead to some cool stuff. But it depends on how much they let you hear. To be able to hear the players and coaches talk would be very interesting to me. Would love to hear some of trash talk that goes on.
Might need to move that to ESPN+ side of the paywall, though, because language

Not at all doubting the NBAs affiliation with the NBA - I don't believe I ever said that - not doubting the relationship -
I guess attempting to be vague lead to many misunderstanding where I was going with this, and if that is the case, i apologize -

Regarding LeBron, maybe "face of the NBA" can be debated ? - Most popular player ? Probably, along with Curry
As far as the PR - as others have mentioned , COULD be bad publicity - yes, Disney has a history with the NBA - but, obviously, (if it turns out to be the case) Disney has never delayed the opening of their theme parks due to the NBA

Your comments weren't vague. Anyone who follows the NBA knows what you are referring to. You were insinuating that comments made by LeBron would lead to potential bad PR for Disney. "the NBA would be the absolute worst for Disney from a PR standpoint - all you have to do is google NBA and/or LeBron James (the face of the league) and their relationship with certain (basically one) countries -" There was no misunderstanding.

They are talking about possibly going right into some kind of playoff scenario, so the season may be shortened. I would imagine they have to keep in mind when they want to finish this season so they can get ready to start the next without too much of an impact on 2020-2021? I've read reports that said that some of the players on teams who are not in play-off contention do not want to come back this season and just want to wait until 2020-2021. I can't say I blame them. I can't imagine how much physical work will be involved to get ready to start again in July.

They are talking about possibly going right into some kind of playoff scenario, so the season may be shortened. I would imagine they have to keep in mind when they want to finish this season so they can get ready to start the next without too much of an impact on 2020-2021? I've read reports that said that some of the players on teams who are not in play-off contention do not want to come back this season and just want to wait until 2020-2021. I can't say I blame them. I can't imagine how much physical work will be involved to get ready to start again in July.
There is talk of starting next season in December. If that goes well they may just keep it that way.

There is talk of starting next season in December. If that goes well they may just keep it that way.

Oh no. I can barely wait until late October during normal years. And usually have summer league, the draft, WNBA and free agency craziness to get me through the summer. Ugh. At this point, I'll take whatever I can get.

Might need to move that to ESPN+ side of the paywall, though, because language

I love when they put microphones on some of the guys during the games and then play snippets of what they've said. You can tell they are trying to be on their absolute BEST behavior, LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter