• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nebulizer on plane?

TinkerPixxie

Mouseketeer
I need to take my sons nebulizer to WDW with us. Im afraid it will get thrown all about if I check it in. Will they have an issue if I try to carry it on?

TIA
Tink~ :cheer2:

short and sweet NO. It is a medical device and they have to let you on with it. :badpc: :flower1:

TinkerPixxie said:
I need to take my sons nebulizer to WDW with us. Im afraid it will get thrown all about if I check it in. Will they have an issue if I try to carry it on?

TIA
Tink~ :cheer2:

We don't have a nebulizer, but why don't you: 1) check with the airline and 2) be sure to bring your prescription documentation or doctor's letter.

We travel with a couple of epi-pens. We carry the original packaging with prescription information in case we need it, but noone has ever even asked to see it. As a matter of fact, the epis are usually in my backpack that goes through the xray at security check point, and noone has even ever looked in my backpack.

Every time that I've carried my son's nebulizer on board, security has searched the bag. Something about the wires and motor look like a bomb I guess. So, don't pack it in too tightly.

Our neb is always inspected thoroughly, including a chemical-swap for bomb materials. But we carry-on all our medical equipment, for the same reasons and concerns expressed above. Just be prepared, pack accordingly, and be patient and cooperative.

If you go to the Transportation Security Administration website (www.tsa.gov), all it says about nebulizers is:
"Supplemental personal medical oxygen and other respiratory-related equipment and devices (e.g. nebulizer, respirator) are permitted through the screening checkpoint once they have undergone screening."
I know from experience that the links to the TSA website don't usually work, so just go to the website and click on the link at the side that says "Travelers and Consumers", then on the page that comes up, click on "Persons with Disabilities and Medical Conditions."

I flew with a group of kids as the team nurse last summer from Omaha thru Chicago to Atlanta. In addition to a backpack full of kid's ADD and asthma meds, i carried an older model nebulizer--the kind that actually DO look like a bomb. We had no problem, other than having to have everything checked at every point. Once they opened it up and saw what it was, they looked so disappointed. :earseek:

Just be sure you get there early enough to do all the security hoo-ha so you don't miss your flight. :wave2:

They see nebulizers all the time. It is not unique, lots and lots of people have them. Don't worry about it, carry it on.

Anne

We've taken DS's nebulizer with us many times; the most recent was Nov. 2004 & never had a problem. I use a tote bag that came with one of our luggage sets for it & the accessories/medicines.

All of the screeners are very familiar with them. We did get checked for explosive resideue this last time on the way down from LaGuardia (LGA), but not for the return from MCO. Go figure..............I guess each airport is STILL different!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter