Need Help! Don't Want to Pay $71 to Avis for One Day!

atigeg

DIS Veteran
Hubby and I are going on a Disney cruise on January 4th, and we plan on taking Happy Limo to the port. However, we have some business to do in Celebration FL on the way home, so we were planning to take the shuttle in Cocoa Beach to get a rental car at Avis. We have an 11 a.m. appointment, so we figured that will give us plenty of time to pick up the car and drive back. Then we can drive around Orlando, where we're spending the night, and drop off the car at the airport. the next day
I just got a quote, and it was $71!!! I can't even imagine paying that much for one day. Is there any other alternative? Would I be better off having the towncar take us to the airport to get a car from a cheapie place like L&M or something I can get via Priceline? Is this outrageous price because we want to drop it off in a different location? We really want to be able to drive around after our appointment, or else we'd just do the towncar for all legs of our trip. Any advice to get a decent rate would be appreciated!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Try using a code at the Avis web site. In the AWD box, use code D002807. It can be used by anyone, no coupons or special cards needed. You will get a much better rate. More Avis codes can be found here: www.mousesavers.com/groundtrans.html#avis
Good Luck!

RobinLyn:D

Barb,

Please give us a little more information- size of vehicle and exact hours you will pick up and drop off. I suspect your sky high quote had more to do with the hours of pick up and drop off. For example, I went to the Avis site and got a quote of about $42 for an intermediate size vehicle to pick up at P3F (Radisson by port) at 9 am on Jan 11 and drop off at MCO at 9 am on Jan 12. The quote jumped to $84 if I assumed you were dropping the car off at noon on Jan 12. You pay a much higher hourly rate after 24-hours and in this case, essentially you pay for a whole extra day.

The problem with Hotwire and Priceline is that I can't figure out how, if possible, to put in a different pick-up and drop-off location.

I can't imagine you would save money paying for a towncar back to the airport for a cheaper rental.

Peggy

The times I got my quote on were for a 9 a.m. pickup in Cocoa Beach (Saturday) and a 7 p.m. drop-off the following day (Sunday) in Orlando. When I put that same info. into L & M, I came up with a total price in the $50ish neighborhood, but I am a little leery of using them. Avis with dropoff and pickup at MCO came up a lot cheaper than the Cocoa pickup-something like 50 percent less!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Originally posted by atigeg
The times I got my quote on were for a 9 a.m. pickup in Cocoa Beach (Saturday) and a 7 p.m. drop-off the following day (Sunday) in Orlando. [/url]

That would count as a 2 day rental since you are well over 24 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter