• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

need help - phone calls through car speakers, old car

that sounds super distracting to me! *hugs* Sorry to hear that your family is going through this challenge. Just please remember to stay *very* alert while talking and driving - you don't want to add to the count of loved ones being grieved over.

my family lives in horrible cell reception range so we actually schedule calltimes because the rural family members have to drive out to the local biker bar's parking lot to get any kind of signal. I would never want to talk to them while they are driving... that would be an incredibly traumatic last conversation to be on, IF anything ever happened.

plus insurance companies are getting more and more picky about how they pay out claims - if you are at fault, they don't want to hear about how you were distracted :(

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

This is not directed at you, Marcy, at all, just an observation in general:

I've had one wreck, a fender bender, that was my fault, at 16, due to dumb inexperience, so I consider myself to be a pretty good driver. I find it interesting that so much is being made over cell phone use being the worst type of distracted driving - I was SO STRICT with my kids, before cell phones existed - being settled down in the car, wouldn't even let them eat in the car, for fear of a spill or argument distracting me from operating the car. People put on makeup while driving, fiddle with the stereo system and each other, and heck, drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol - but the big bad wolf right now is cell phones. I get it; texting especially is a TERRIBLE idea. The new AT&T commercial, featuring people who died while texting and it shows them in age progression? One of the people in the commercial was from our county. My husband works outside and saw that fatal wreck happen. He is still not OK talking with about it. A coworker of mine lost his entire family one afternoon (wife and 2 small children) because the wife reached down to retrieve something while driving with the kids and lost control of her vehicle. I think we need to emphasize the HUGE responsibility of operating a vehicle, period, and the horrible, horrible consequences of doing almost anything else except driving. Nevertheless, I get that almost everyone has a cell phone and the only option for anything these days seems to be NOW.

That said, my commute is mostly in the country, and parts of it is without a cell phone signal. I just want to be able to hear my family member better than through the phone's speaker when we do talk.

I wanted Bluetooth in my 2007 Honda Odyssey and there were no parts from Honda for anything prior to 2008. I got an after-market piece and my husband installed it. I found somethings similar for a 2007 Nissan Versa: https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-ISNI531-Automotive-Auxiliary-Infiniti/dp/B0072L7W7O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1531850136&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:3822506011

Now this is something completely out of my wheelhouse. :laughing: I'll show it to my husband and son, thanks for the reply!

Now this is something completely out of my wheelhouse. :laughing: I'll show it to my husband and son, thanks for the reply!
It was totally out of mine too, but with a couple YouTube videos my handy DH put it in in a couple hours. It works pretty well and as close to a ‘real’ Bluetooth experience to the manufacturer types as I will get for a few years when/if I get an upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter