need help with LARGE family group

PirateFan

Mouseketeer
We're traveling to WDW in June, 2002. There will be at least 35 family and friends. I have been put in charge of arrangements since I'm the Disney freak of the family.

I would like to plan one thing for the group to do as a whole. Any suggestions? Would it be impossible to arrange a meal for everyone together? What about the Family Magic Tour? Is there a limit on the size of the group?

Also, is there a group discount for rooms or tickets? (this should be posted on the budget board?)

I've been to WDW several times and have been reading these boards for a long time. Usually I find the answers to any questions without posting them, but this time I think I need some help.

Thanks.

Call the group reservation desk at Disney World. They will give you group prices on the rooms if you are reserving enough rooms (don't know the amount). There is also a number for group dining.

The best thing to do is get in touch with a travel agent that is knowledgable about Disney or use the travel agency for this website www.dreamsunlimited.com

The only way you will get a discount on passes is if you have a Disney club card or purchase them through AAA. The discount is only 5% though.

Check www.mousesavers.com for room discounts. If you book a package it would be the easiest way to go but if you find a discount on rooms I don't think you can change them to the lower priced discount. But I could be wrong about this.

Which resort are you looking at?

Since my original post, I have contacted WDW Group Leisure Sales and they have been very helpful. We will be staying at All Star Movies and there is a small discount on the rooms, which I should be grateful for given the time of year we are going, and they are more than happy to help with meal reservations for the group.

Thanks for your response. Any suggestions or ideas on how to make this a special trip for everyone would be appreciated.

Make sure that everyone knows that it's ok to split up and meet up later so that everyone can go their own way for a while. I think it would be pretty hard to keep that many people together. Like meeting up for dinner and discussing what they enjoyed most during the day.

What does your family enjoy?
Put together a list of must do's so that no one misses some rides, attractions, etc that you think they will like. Put together a list of tips, special areas in the park, etc. Places to get a snack that is not right in front of you like the bakery in MK or the bakery in Epcot in France.

Print out the list of places that you can meet characters so that everyone gets to meet their favorite. Here is a website of an employee of Disney who has put this together http://argo668.tripod.com/palm/charlocationspalm.html

Put everything in a folder for each family group so that they have something to read and prepare for.

Look at this website and get the tips on each park www.wdwig.com
Here is a list of what not to miss from this board http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120052
Also remind everyone that some of the best times at Disney are the ones where you just sit on a bench and watch the world go by.

Make sure everyone stayes until closing at least one day at the Mk, to hear the goodnight speech and watch the castle change colors.
One last thing, leave some special tips out and watch everyone's reaction when they notice it.

Hope this helped some. You may also want to post on the Theme Park board for tips and the Restaurant board for tips on the restaurants.

I would want to suggest going to the hoop de doo review with everyone but I would make reservations now for it. It's not cheap but it's a fun dinner show for the whole family.

Here is a great website for pictures of the parks, restaurants and resorts www.ourlaughingplace.com

Josie,

I've been busy with Christmas lately and now that it's over I can get down to some serious planning. Thanks for your suggestions. I think putting together a list of must do's is a terrific idea. I have told them that I am not a tour guide, but it wouldn't hurt to have maps and tips for everyone.

I just hope they love WDW as much as I do (how could they not). Although, my uncle says it's just a big carnival. We'll show him!

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Hope you had a very merry holiday.

Lesia

If I ever do a family reunion at WDW, and I hope to someday, I plan on doing some sort of scavenger hunt. Not one that they would have to collect anything, but just one that asked them questions they could only find the answers to by riding rides. Then you could have some kind of get-together, like a meal, the last day and give prizes to the winners.

Another thing people would probably appreciate is the room numbers for each family so they can call them on the phone. My family travels together sometimes, and it can be hard remembering who is in what room. After you arrive, just make a list of room numbers with names and have them copy it at the front desk. If some people are arriving late or leaving early, make a note of that on the list so that no one calls the room when they aren't in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter