Need insights on DVC Point accumulation for an Annual Aulani Grand Villa Vacation

john7994

DIS Veteran
A friend is looking to accumulate enough points to cover a Grand Villa at Aulani annually for a week - with travel flexibility in the Jan - Mar timeframe. They are starting with 0 points / no contracts. Resale is clearly the focus here due to the expected number of points/cost to cover this type of travel/accommodation. Yes, they are aware of the investment level.

To that end, looking for insights on:
- Best Use Years (with contract availability)?
- Big Contracts or Small Contracts?
- What to expect on average cost/point - if focused on Aulani contracts only for 11 month booking window
- As an alternative strategy, for that timeframe, does it make sense to mix resale contracts and go with 7 month booking window

For travel in January to March you want a Use Year that precedes travel. There is no January Use Year, so probably December is best. Big contracts will be cheaper but harder to resell. Small contracts will be more expensive but easier to resell.

For Aulani at 11 months versus anywhere else at 7 months, you need to decide between the standard view or the ocean view GV. If going for standard view, there are only a two so you’ll need Aulani’s 11 month window and still have to book fast. For ocean view (there are 18) it looks like 7 month window will suffice.

See this site which shows historical availability tables. The standard view has almost no availability at 7 months in Jan-Mar. The ocean view has plenty at 7 months in Jan-Mar.

For Aulani at 11 months versus anywhere else at 7 months, you need to decide between the standard view or the ocean view GV. If going for standard view, there are only a two so you’ll need Aulani’s 11 month window and still have to book fast. For ocean view (there are 18) it looks like 7 month window will suffice.

See this site which shows historical availability tables. The standard view has almost no availability at 7 months in Jan-Mar. The ocean view has plenty at 7 months in Jan-Mar.
Great Insight on the inventory of the GVs - thank you! Appreciate the linked resources as well.

I’ve not seen one night in a standard gv available for a couple years now. I look pretty frequently and even at 11 months to the second they’re not available. I see it available for cash reservation but never on points. Something is definitely wrong with that category. I’ve commented before and people say it’s just really competitive. It’s not that because even 11 months to the second it shows unavailable for the following days too. Other hard to get like akv concierge will at least have subsequent days and an occasional odd night pop up here and there.

given zero chance for standard, I’d plan on ocean front points on the gv. Subsidized contract would save quite a bit. Gv’s outside of peak times have some of the best 7 month availability so not critical to own Aulani. Cash rate on standard gv might be a better deal than the dvc ocean view gv so I’d definitely pencil the comparison before investing in that many points.

They will probably need 900 points.

At an average of $100pp that would be $90,000. It will probably be a mix of 100-200 points contracts with ~ $1000 closing cost per contract, so over $6000 in closing costs. Dues will be just under $9000 per year + inflation.

You could go for subsidized contracts, but the only thing on the market right now is March Use Years and that wouldn’t be optimal for the desired travel time. Closer to $140pp, so around $126,000 upfront but only $6600 a year in dues. Also easier to sell.

I wouldn’t try the game of buying cheap SAPs from WDW if the goal is to use them at Aulani at the low cost point time of year.

They will probably need 900 points.

At an average of $100pp that would be $90,000. It will probably be a mix of 100-200 points contracts with ~ $1000 closing cost per contract, so over $6000 in closing costs. Dues will be just under $9000 per year + inflation.

You could go for subsidized contracts, but the only thing on the market right now is March Use Years and that wouldn’t be optimal for the desired travel time. Closer to $140pp, so around $126,000 upfront but only $6600 a year in dues. Also easier to sell.

I wouldn’t try the game of buying cheap SAPs from WDW if the goal is to use them at Aulani at the low cost point time of year.
Had wondered about the subsidized maintenance cost contracts - so thank you for doing the math and providing the perspective - March Use Year could be problematic as you said and appreciate the view on SAP.

Here's an out of the box idea based on 👆...

Purchase 900 CCV points and alternate between OV GV and CCV Cabins year to year. "SAP+" for the win!
If it were me - and my money - this is what I would do because I am more interested in WDW than Aulani. But, they are very focused on the annual Hawaii trip due to family.

I’ve not seen one night in a standard gv available for a couple years now. I look pretty frequently and even at 11 months to the second they’re not available. I see it available for cash reservation but never on points. Something is definitely wrong with that category. I’ve commented before and people say it’s just really competitive. It’s not that because even 11 months to the second it shows unavailable for the following days too. Other hard to get like akv concierge will at least have subsequent days and an occasional odd night pop up here and there.

given zero chance for standard, I’d plan on ocean front points on the gv. Subsidized contract would save quite a bit. Gv’s outside of peak times have some of the best 7 month availability so not critical to own Aulani. Cash rate on standard gv might be a better deal than the dvc ocean view gv so I’d definitely pencil the comparison before investing in that many points.
Good idea on looking at the cash GV as a comparative given the investment - to test the value of owning overall. Thanks

Good idea on looking at the cash GV as a comparative given the investment - to test the value of owning overall. Thanks

It really is a huge investment.

Cash outlay for a standard GV for 2/4 - 2/10/2024, I got the "room only" offer at $2589/night + tax. No rooms available for their Winter offer. I checked throughout January (yeah, I know, it's only a month away) and no availability. I just did a Sunday through Saturday week. Taxes are $2,790.18 (you will pay tax on the points too) for a grand total of $18,324.18.

So, considering $9000/year in dues (I believe that's the unsubsidized dues) + the initial outlay of $90K+, well, it'll take some time to "recoup" the investment. And the $90K + is the price on the resale market, not purchasing direct through Disney.

It really is a huge investment.

Cash outlay for a standard GV for 2/4 - 2/10/2024, I got the "room only" offer at $2589/night + tax. No rooms available for their Winter offer. I checked throughout January (yeah, I know, it's only a month away) and no availability. I just did a Sunday through Saturday week. Taxes are $2,790.18 (you will pay tax on the points too) for a grand total of $18,324.18.

So, considering $9000/year in dues (I believe that's the unsubsidized dues) + the initial outlay of $90K+, well, it'll take some time to "recoup" the investment. And the $90K + is the price on the resale market, not purchasing direct through Disney.
It’s a huge investment with ongoing costs / fees, and it made my eyes water - and why I turned to the DIS for things that this potential buyer needs to know … thanks!

It’s a huge investment with ongoing costs / fees, and it made my eyes water - and why I turned to the DIS for things that this potential buyer needs to know … thanks!

But… you get this view and Disney Magic….

Also, I’m going to state an unpopular opinion that I would also buy 150 direct points so the buyer and their guests feels like a “full member” while they are there. It would be no fun to spend all of that money and then have constant reminders of the little perks, events, and classes that you don’t get to attend every time you go….

I would buy the direct points after purchasing a resale contract because they will match use year, often with double points, and current members have a lower buy in price than new members.

A very nice guide who is based in Hawaii is Ashley.Patinio@Disney.com and she will email you every year before your point banking deadline.

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
A friend is looking to accumulate enough points to cover a Grand Villa at Aulani annually for a week - with travel flexibility in the Jan - Mar timeframe. They are starting with 0 points / no contracts. Resale is clearly the focus here due to the expected number of points/cost to cover this type of travel/accommodation. Yes, they are aware of the investment level.

- What to expect on average cost/point - if focused on Aulani contracts only for 11 month booking window
- As an alternative strategy, for that timeframe, does it make sense to mix resale contracts and go with 7 month booking window
Your friend could also buy half the points needed initially, maybe a few with double points, and just borrow for the first year or two to see if Aulani resale has dipped even more in 2025/2026 when they need more points for a 2026/2027 vaca.

But… you get this view and Disney Magic….

Also, I’m going to state an unpopular opinion that I would also buy 150 direct points so the buyer and their guests feels like a “full member” while they are there. It would be no fun to spend all of that money and then have constant reminders of the little perks, events, and classes that you don’t get to attend every time you go….

I would buy the direct points after purchasing a resale contract because they will match use year, often with double points, and current members have a lower buy in price than new members.

A very nice guide who is based in Hawaii is Ashley.Patinio@Disney.com and she will email you every year before your point banking deadline.
I am inclined to agree on the one time purchase of direct points as well. My guide is also based in Hawaii!

Based on these availability charts, booking a GV OV at 7 months during Jan-March should generally work, but not always. If they want Hawaii, then they should buy Hawaii. Those same charts do confirm the impossibility of getting a SV unit even at 11 months out, which has also been my experience.

I am definitely more biased towards the Aulani subsidized contracts, but the optimal use years (Sep-Dec) for Jan-March travel do contradict finding a matching subsidized contract. The subsidized contracts are all pre-July 2011 and are therefore much more likely to have Feb-June use years. Someone would have had to buy pre-July 2011 and specifically ask for a later use year. I've seen them mostly for March use years (what we own), and maybe a couple with February and June use years and a fixed 1BR New-Year's week with December use-year that can also be used as regular points during any other time of the year (purchased by someone on these boards).

I'd go for smaller contracts if possible. But for subsidized contracts you kind of take what you get as they are pretty rare. Larger contracts will cost less per point, but are also harder to sell due to the larger cash outlay required.

Would they consider alternating years between Aulani and the Marriott? It would be much more economical too. They can buy a resale deeded 3BR OV week at Marriott Ko Olina for around $25K-$30K and the annual dues on that are around $3500. And for the Disney part they would only need half the points to go every other year and use banking/borrowing, and they can rent the Marriott in years they don't use it (Marriott also has every-other-year deeds, but I think it's much harder to find a 3BR unit with that usage).

Some of those Marriott Ko Olina views are pretty superb...

20231113_084528.jpg

Your friend could also buy half the points needed initially, maybe a few with double points, and just borrow for the first year or two to see if Aulani resale has dipped even more in 2025/2026 when they need more points for a 2026/2027 vaca.
We actually discussed this very strategy as well this morning and they are considering it heavily as the first reservation won’t likely be until 2025 due to availability now for 2024 along with closing contracts that quickly for resale so late in the game.

Based on these availability charts, booking a GV OV at 7 months during Jan-March should generally work, but not always. If they want Hawaii, then they should buy Hawaii. Those same charts do confirm the impossibility of getting a SV unit even at 11 months out, which has also been my experience.

I am definitely more biased towards the Aulani subsidized contracts, but the optimal use years (Sep-Dec) for Jan-March travel do contradict finding a matching subsidized contract. The subsidized contracts are all pre-July 2011 and are therefore much more likely to have Feb-June use years. Someone would have had to buy pre-July 2011 and specifically ask for a later use year. I've seen them mostly for March use years (what we own), and maybe a couple with February and June use years and a fixed 1BR New-Year's week with December use-year that can also be used as regular points during any other time of the year (purchased by someone on these boards).

I'd go for smaller contracts if possible. But for subsidized contracts you kind of take what you get as they are pretty rare. Larger contracts will cost less per point, but are also harder to sell due to the larger cash outlay required.

Would they consider alternating years between Aulani and the Marriott? It would be much more economical too. They can buy a resale deeded 3BR OV week at Marriott Ko Olina for around $25K-$30K and the annual dues on that are around $3500. And for the Disney part they would only need half the points to go every other year and use banking/borrowing, and they can rent the Marriott in years they don't use it (Marriott also has every-other-year deeds, but I think it's much harder to find a 3BR unit with that usage).

Some of those Marriott Ko Olina views are pretty superb...

View attachment 817461
Great thoughts on alternating years and maybe a different location/timeshare option. They have a specific affinity for the Aulani property - so I could even see a - oh this our year for non-Aulani - oh well - looking forward to next year! Nothing against other properties, but sometimes hard to argue with what the heart wants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter