Need insights on DVC Point accumulation for an Annual Aulani Grand Villa Vacation

Famous last words....but once those points load into your dashboard.....
Ha! I personally know the feeling - I have been actually talking them down and setting some expectations especially for availability - For me it was hard to get over the idea that I have points - therefore - there is always a reservation perfect for me waiting on my points …

I was in WDW at the beginning and end of November - back again on January 1st - and my dashboard is looking lonely and empty in the rest of 2024 :(
Maybe build up to 550 points (with 150 of those being direct) to get access to a 2BD OV every year or a GV OV every other year at various points in the year (not just the low point season) and then see how that feels.

Here's an out of the box idea based on 👆...

Purchase 900 CCV points and alternate between OV GV and CCV Cabins year to year. "SAP+" for the win!
The cabins sadly are a far cry from a GV and the way they are set up, it’s more like a family room. I was disappointed on the way the space is laid out in the cabin. Would never take two families like we do with 2 bedrooms

I’ve seen cash rates on the standard view 3 bedrooms as low as $2200/night cash rates in January/feb.

Idk if they’ve stayed in an Aulani gv but aside from the cost there are a couple downsides. I’m not so crazy about the long narrow balconies. Last year we were in an oceanfront 3 bedroom and I was awoken by the four seasons delivery trucks back up beep beep sounds every morning which seriously affected my morning coffee zen on the balcony. I found I didn’t spend much time on the balcony as I typically do on a Hawaiian vacation. They have a great kitchen compared to the one and 2bedrooms. I like the smaller kitchens that are not as nice and practical as home so still an excuse to eat out. With the 3 bedroom I have guilt for not doing more cooking.

At that buy in and mf cost i’d probably be mixing it up and sometimes getting a 3 bedroom oceanfront villa at the Fairmont with my own private pool on Maui or some other options. Fairmont offers up some great rates on these especially when packaged with a vacation. So a person could potentially reach platinum or diamond with delta airlines just by booking one nice family package through them.

And one more thing about resale Aulani points- they cannot be used to stay at Rivera or Disneyland hotel villas. Those two properties are very much on par with Aulani. We own at all 3 and having the ability to mix it up at 7 months is critical in being able to use all our points and stay at our top three Disney choices.

We have stayed in an Ocean View GV 5 or 6 times. We book at the 7 month window without problem. I think it's because they take so many points that most people can't "afford" them. We are fortunate enough to have friends that we travel with that are also DVC members and we split the points requirement. We go every 1-2 years, mostly in the April/May window but have also been in February and October.

We have stayed in an Ocean View GV 5 or 6 times. We book at the 7 month window without problem. I think it's because they take so many points that most people can't "afford" them. We are fortunate enough to have friends that we travel with that are also DVC members and we split the points requirement. We go every 1-2 years, mostly in the April/May window but have also been in February and October.
Our goal is to annex ourselves to the trip - like the idea of splitting the room.

We went on a grand villa tour in July. The CM confirmed that the standard view is not bookable for points and they were advertising the villas as starting at 122 points per night. That’s the lowest ocean view price. I didn’t press him for further info.

I’ve read a very rare report of someone booking the standard view but it seems like it may be at 60 days out if a cash stay hasn’t booked.

One other caution about Ocean View Grand Villas...Those on the lower floors actually have their view blocked by the trees. If you book this category, request a high (6th or up) floor.

One other caution about Ocean View Grand Villas...Those on the lower floors actually have their view blocked by the trees. If you book this category, request a high (6th or up) floor.

definitely. I think when we toured, it was the highest floor in the building.

But… you get this view and Disney Magic….

Also, I’m going to state an unpopular opinion that I would also buy 150 direct points so the buyer and their guests feels like a “full member” while they are there. It would be no fun to spend all of that money and then have constant reminders of the little perks, events, and classes that you don’t get to attend every time you go….

I would buy the direct points after purchasing a resale contract because they will match use year, often with double points, and current members have a lower buy in price than new members.

A very nice guide who is based in Hawaii is Ashley.Patinio@Disney.com and she will email you every year before your point banking deadline.
I have a question about this! We have a direct contract at VGF and just bought an Aulani resale contract. If we stay using our resale contract, do we not get to do the member events or is it ok that we use our direct VGF membership?

I have a question about this! We have a direct contract at VGF and just bought an Aulani resale contract. If we stay using our resale contract, do we not get to do the member events or is it ok that we use our direct VGF membership?
I think as long as you have a card that says you are DVC-Y you qualify for all of the membership extras at Aulani.

Correct you don’t loose your member benefits once you get them unless you sell the contract that awarded you those benefits so as long as you still own the VGF contract then you qualify for all member perks within DVC.

Correct you don’t loose your member benefits once you get them unless you sell the contract that awarded you those benefits so as long as you still own the VGF contract then you qualify for all member perks within DVC.
Correct. The only DVC "perk" that only slightly varies, and only when talking within the context of resort stays, is the early Moonlight Magic registration afforded to members who are staying on property at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter