• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New AbD promotion

We're seriously thinking about taking Disney up on the offer. We've been talking about taking a short cruise as a trial to see if we like it. We have the advantage of living just an hour from the Disney ships so we won't have all the added expense. Combining that with the Costco gift card, which we are regular customers, it's a great deal for us. I still think the early booking rates were a better incentive.

We just booked the June 20 BSM (Hollywood) tour yesterday and I can't wait! I'd already been trying to convince DH to switch around our DL trip plans (we had already booked a one-bedroom at GCV), but when I pointed out that we could actually squeeze in the free cruise just before Thanksgiving, he was on board.

I'm so excited about going. Thanks for posting this deal, OP!

I think this shows that ABD will continue to offer incentives to try to fill the low-booked Adventures. We will continue to keep an eye out and hope that a deal that works for us materializes. (We're not cruisers.)

Well everyone , there is a catch with the free cruise. If you are a returning ABD guest you do not get the loyalty discount of $100 per person. You cannot combine the offers. SO....... it's either take the cruise or loyalty discount. If something seems to good to be true , it usually is !

Well everyone , there is a catch with the free cruise. If you are a returning ABD guest you do not get the loyalty discount of $100 per person. You cannot combine the offers. SO....... it's either take the cruise or loyalty discount. If something seems to good to be true , it usually is !

It states this in the offer! It says cruise available when booking an ABD at the full rate. I was not surprised at all it usually is one or the other.

Disney is not one for customer loyalty, are they?. I have been on 2 ABD's at a cost of $15,000, for which I am offered the same discount as someone who subscribes to Travel and Leisure, or someone who has done neither can now get a free 3 day cruise. Maybe it is just me, but I would love to think my business was important enough to them that they would offer a loyalty incentive. I guess business is just that business. Takes something out of the magic for me.

Disney is not one for customer loyalty, are they?. I have been on 2 ABD's at a cost of $15,000, for which I am offered the same discount as someone who subscribes to Travel and Leisure, or someone who has done neither can now get a free 3 day cruise. Maybe it is just me, but I would love to think my business was important enough to them that they would offer a loyalty incentive. I guess business is just that business. Takes something out of the magic for me.

I totally agree with you. I can understand not allowing this offer to be combined with a group discount or something like the free airfare offer they had last year. But if ABD offers bigger incentives to the general public than they offer to returning clients, and you have to give up your $100 loyalty discount to get the general public offer, then there really is no loyalty discount. Last year we were allowed to combine the EBD and the loyalty discount. Why is this different?

I don't know too many business that let you double up on an incentive. It's usually one or the other. I can't blame Disney for not offering both. The cruise deal is a pretty nice incentive. Too bad I already booked and even if I didn't, they are not offering the free cruise for the adults only Italy trip. Although, I may have reconsidered the Adults only for a free cruise.

I do understand your point that offers aren't usually combined. However, Bobo912 made the point I was trying to make, in that, there is something wrong when your old customers are treated worse than your new ones. Having to give up the small loyalty discount to get a better offer made to anyone, doesn't seem to show much gratitude to past customers. I do love ABD, but think they could use better customer service sometimes.

But realistically, these are small incentives, aren't they? The cruise is nice--but not likely something we'd do (especially having to make our way from San Diego), and the $100 discount (whether as a return patron or magazine subscriber) is OK but not a deal breaker. If I didn't think the trips were worth it I wouldn't go; but I do think they are worth it, so I guess I'm just not bothered if I don't qualify for a certain incentive. I did like the early booking discount--but on the other hand, I'd rather see Disney weather the economy and have a great travel company in place than insist on a lesser price simply because I'm a repeat customer. (And if someone who hasn't tried it out likes ABD--and the small incentive intices them to do just that--then don't we all benefit? Remember the turmoil of cancelled trips?? Yes small groups are great, but not if it is at the expense of the whole operation--so I certainly can't fault the business side of the Mouse House for wanting to fill up the spaces, and attract new people to the program.) And finally...I find that the great customer service comes from the guides--and the trip itself. :cool1:

I do agree that the great customer service comes from the trips and guides. No complaints from us on that end at all. However, I do think, (and I am no business person so just my humble opinion), that it is nice to recognize your established customers with some type of discount not available to those who have not been before. I would assume they form an important customer base. I am assuming from the promo that between the lack of EBD and the economy they are having to try something to fill up the trips. Having said that, I do hope all who are going have as good a time as we have had in the past.

Doesn't Disney Cruise Line offer 10% off your next cruise if you book onboard? I would like to see ABD do something like that. Not while you still on the trip, or course, but within a couple of months of the release of the next year's trips, perhaps. I would really like to take an ABD trip next year, but the free cruise would cost me money, since I wasn't planning on taking another 3-day cruise. Still hoping for another incentive. If they would offer the $500 per person off airfare like last year, I would definitely go for that.

I know this isn't going to make a difference if you book AbD or not but I just wanted to clear something up.

I called AbD and asked them about this Travel & Leisure offer. It is $100 off a booking; not per person like the guest loyalty discount.

I know it's a small break and not much when last year you also got the early booking rate. But I just wanted to get rid of the thinking that you could get the same discount as someone with a "12 dollar magazine subscription".

:upsidedow

Doesn't Disney Cruise Line offer 10% off your next cruise if you book onboard? I would like to see ABD do something like that. Not while you still on the trip, or course, but within a couple of months of the release of the next year's trips, perhaps. I would really like to take an ABD trip next year, but the free cruise would cost me money, since I wasn't planning on taking another 3-day cruise. Still hoping for another incentive. If they would offer the $500 per person off airfare like last year, I would definitely go for that.
They actually had a promotion like this in 2008 (at least for some of the tours!) There was a note in my room when I checked in offering some amount (I totally forget how much) off another ABD, but you had to book it within, I think it was, 10 days after your ABD concluded.

The big problem was, that was in May 2008, and the only trips available to book at that time were for 2008. The 2009 dates didn't come out for another 2 1/2 months. I think one reason they can do this sort of thing with cruises is that they have their cruise schedules out like 1 1/2 to 2 years ahead of schedule, it seems. Not that I don't think it's a good idea to give us that sort of incentive, I just think it would be hard for them to administrate because a lot of people take their trips well before the next years' schedule is known.

Sayhello

They actually had a promotion like this in 2008 (at least for some of the tours!) There was a note in my room when I checked in offering some amount (I totally forget how much) off another ABD, but you had to book it within, I think it was, 10 days after your ABD concluded.

The big problem was, that was in May 2008, and the only trips available to book at that time were for 2008. The 2009 dates didn't come out for another 2 1/2 months. I think one reason they can do this sort of thing with cruises is that they have their cruise schedules out like 1 1/2 to 2 years ahead of schedule, it seems. Not that I don't think it's a good idea to give us that sort of incentive, I just think it would be hard for them to administrate because a lot of people take their trips well before the next years' schedule is known.

Sayhello

They could implement it the same as the $100 loyalty discount. Say if the trips come out in August and you book by the end of Nov (or Oct or whatever length of time they want to make it) you get 10% as a loyalty discount, instead of the measly $100. If they had offered me 10% off I wouldn't have minded the defunct EBD and I would have booked in August. So I guess all I'm saying is $100 so small that it is irrelevant and I would like to see something more significant to retain my loyalty. But it's all about making money and I guess they figure they can make more this way. And they will if the trips fill up with the incentives they are offering. We didn't get that offer on our 2008 trip, but our guide mentioned it in passing at lunch one day. I was expecting an email or something when I got home, but I never got anything.

It is good to know that the magazine subscription is only $100 per booking, didn't realize that. We also got a 10% off incentive to book another trip during our first trip in 2008, but you had to use the 10% offer in 2008 and book it within 10 days. So, no one I know was able to take advantage of it.

Guides have stated that the ABD management is aware of this board--so we should definately offer up creative ways that would reward the repeat customers and intice those new to the program. (Of course--Disney is as good as anyone at marketing--and I have felt that ABD is treated as an unwanted stepchild in many respects. When polling goes out re the cruises and parks, rarely is ABD also mentioned. I did see a nice article in the new D23 magazine about the Alpine trip, so maybe things are improving--and a tie in to the cruise program is also a good step, although not one I could really use but certainly good for Florida residents! When the Wonder comes out to LA in 2011, I'd certainly think hard about a cruise discount offered with an ABD trip!). Oh and by the way...it seems like one of the best parts of the ABD trips is the excellent service provided by the guides; I wrote to ABD (email) suggesting that they have a "guides guide" on the ABD website, where you could look up the guides, see a photo and read about them--mini-bio sheets if you will. I never heard back--so if you guys are listening, I'm suggesting it again!)

Promotion ideas? I agree with everyone that the EBD was great, and we used it for all four trips--and it was enough to entice us to book immediately. We aren't going on an ABD trip in 2010, but not because of the trips listed but because we are doing a Disney cruise and have limited travel time and money. The cruise promotion might attract some--and while on a Disney cruise if they offered an ABD promotion (i.e. discount of some sort)that would be very tempting. A parks tie-in exist for all but the Japan parks and WDW. I think they are better about guaranteeing the departure of the trips, as I understand the current policy.

They had the signature trips being tried out, but that didn't really seem to take off (bad timing with the economy?) But what about some sort of frequent user discount that gets better with the more ABD trips you do? (The Disney cruise operates that way to some degree--if you have 5 plus cruises under your belt--I think it is 5--then you get first shot at booking a cabin on a newly announced route (like the recent Alaska addition)--and you get first shot at booking shore excursions. Harder for a land tour to do "add ons" for only some of the guests--but maybe a free pre or post night for returning customers (or you earn points toward something like that with each trip you take)??

Guides have stated that the ABD management is aware of this board--so we should definately offer up creative ways that would reward the repeat customers and intice those new to the program.
More than once, when I've gone to the ABD site, I've been asked to take a survey, and I like some of the suggestions I've seen, none of which have materialized. Like an official message board, or a place to post our Trip Reports. Seems like that would be nice, because I know I at least would feel more like I'm being listened to on an official board (NOT that I don't LOVE the DIS!) :disrocks:

Promotion ideas? --but maybe a free pre or post night for returning customers (or you earn points toward something like that with each trip you take)??
Now I like that idea! That would be easy for ABD to do, and could be a significant discount!

We also got a 10% off incentive to book another trip during our first trip in 2008, but you had to use the 10% offer in 2008 and book it within 10 days. So, no one I know was able to take advantage of it.
Momof3greatkids, I don't know anyone who was able to use that booking discount, either.

They could implement it the same as the $100 loyalty discount. Say if the trips come out in August and you book by the end of Nov (or Oct or whatever length of time they want to make it) you get 10% as a loyalty discount, instead of the measly $100. If they had offered me 10% off I wouldn't have minded the defunct EBD and I would have booked in August. So I guess all I'm saying is $100 so small that it is irrelevant and I would like to see something more significant to retain my loyalty. But it's all about making money and I guess they figure they can make more this way. And they will if the trips fill up with the incentives they are offering. We didn't get that offer on our 2008 trip, but our guide mentioned it in passing at lunch one day. I was expecting an email or something when I got home, but I never got anything.
You're right, of course. They could implement it that way, instead of the $100. I agree, it's a pitiful amount considering how much these trips cost -- ABD isn't allowing us to use our loyalty discount on the K&L trip I'm taking. It's a TA "private departure" Dotti is organizing, and since she's getting a group price we don't get the $100 off. (It's really not a huge discount, per se, just the lowest level of the advertised price range for that trip, so, theoretically, a price anyone could get) It was an "Oh, well" moment, because it *was* such a piddly amount to quibble over. But I still think it's petty of ABD not to allow us to use it.

Sayhello

I think the reason that DCl can offer the 10% discount is because they own the cruise ship and don't have to negotiate with other suppliers where as ABD does have to use outside suppliers so it is harder (not impossible) to offer a flat discount.

Guides have stated that the ABD management is aware of this board--so we should definately offer up creative ways that would reward the repeat customers and intice those new to the program. (Of course--Disney is as good as anyone at marketing--and I have felt that ABD is treated as an unwanted stepchild in many respects. When polling goes out re the cruises and parks, rarely is ABD also mentioned. I did see a nice article in the new D23 magazine about the Alpine trip, so maybe things are improving--and a tie in to the cruise program is also a good step, although not one I could really use but certainly good for Florida residents! When the Wonder comes out to LA in 2011, I'd certainly think hard about a cruise discount offered with an ABD trip!). Oh and by the way...it seems like one of the best parts of the ABD trips is the excellent service provided by the guides; I wrote to ABD (email) suggesting that they have a "guides guide" on the ABD website, where you could look up the guides, see a photo and read about them--mini-bio sheets if you will. I never heard back--so if you guys are listening, I'm suggesting it again!)

Promotion ideas? I agree with everyone that the EBD was great, and we used it for all four trips--and it was enough to entice us to book immediately. We aren't going on an ABD trip in 2010, but not because of the trips listed but because we are doing a Disney cruise and have limited travel time and money. The cruise promotion might attract some--and while on a Disney cruise if they offered an ABD promotion (i.e. discount of some sort)that would be very tempting. A parks tie-in exist for all but the Japan parks and WDW. I think they are better about guaranteeing the departure of the trips, as I understand the current policy.

They had the signature trips being tried out, but that didn't really seem to take off (bad timing with the economy?) But what about some sort of frequent user discount that gets better with the more ABD trips you do? (The Disney cruise operates that way to some degree--if you have 5 plus cruises under your belt--I think it is 5--then you get first shot at booking a cabin on a newly announced route (like the recent Alaska addition)--and you get first shot at booking shore excursions. Harder for a land tour to do "add ons" for only some of the guests--but maybe a free pre or post night for returning customers (or you earn points toward something like that with each trip you take)??

This idea (the part I bolded) I really like. They could do maybe a early booking discount for repeat customers, say 3 ABD'S 5 percent 5 Abd' 10 percent with a max of ten percent and then little add ons or surprises on the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter