new annual passes - short term thinking from Disney?

No question. Those magic bands were great investment. No telling how valuable the data was from them.
What additional data do you think Disney got from a MB? Were you not already using your ticket to get into the park? How about already charging your purchases to your resort? Getting a Fast Pass by inserting your ticket?

The one they used to offer.

What specifically do you feel has become lesser or worse? I assume you don't mean the accommodations or park additions.

Are you referencing service only? If so when did this decline happen for you? I see a lot of people judging the park/resort experience over the last year and a half which is completely unfair to Disney and cast members especially - all of whom have had an incredibly challenging time managing guest expectations and enforcing covid policies.

please allow me to repeat a question I asked in a different thread, which received zero reply’s.

Not directed to anyone specifically but for anyone who wants to answer.

As an AP holder, how do you feel valued by Disney?

I know this thread is about APs, but really to me Disney use to respect all of their guests a lot more. It's not just about what extras AP holders use to get. It's really all about whats been lost to everyone and all the blatant cash grabs that mark a visible turn in Disney Park's business model going forward. Of course Disney was always in it for the money. But previous management understood the art of the give and take. And how to make a customer feel special. Were MagicBands ever "free"? Probably not. Im sure it was in the ticket price. But it created the illusion that you were receiving something special or free. Currently management has no intent of making anyone feel special. In fact its the opposite they are saying WE AS DISNEY ARE SPECIAL and you will pay through the teeth to enjoy us.

Last edited:
What specifically do you feel has become lesser or worse? I assume you don't mean the accommodations or park additions.

Are you referencing service only? If so when did this decline happen for you? I see a lot of people judging the park/resort experience over the last year and a half which is completely unfair to Disney and cast members especially - all of whom have had an incredibly challenging time managing guest expectations and enforcing covid policies.
I haven't been since 2016 and IMO the decline started around that time so no I'm not basing it off the pandemic time period. There is a really good thread on the Trip Planning board where members are posting what they've taken away that outlines things that people miss. I have some of the most incredible memories at Disney with my family, ones that none of us will ever forget, but it feels like the experience has just decreased. And look I'm not saying a vacation at Disney is bad, I'm sure if I went today I would have a ton of fun. But for me its not like it was and my vacation dollars are being spent elsewhere.

I know this thread is about APs, but really to me Disney use to respect all of their guests a lot more. It's not just about what extras AP holders use to get. It's really all about whats been lost to everyone and all the blatant cash grabs that mark a visible turn in Disney Park's business model going forward. Of course Disney was always in it for the money. But previous management understood the art of the give and take. And how to make a customer feel special. Were MagicBands every "free"? Probably not. Im sure it was in the ticket price. But it created the illusion that you were receiving something special or free. Currently management has no intent of making anyone feel special. In fact its the opposite they are saying WE AS DISNEY ARE SPECIAL and you will pay through the teeth to enjoy us.
Totally agree. I wasn't specific to AP when started this. I was thinking wider about cost vs guest experience and an approaching of charging more and having wealthier but few guests in the parks. My thought was that this might work financially in the short term but as a longer term strategy might not. Those things that made you feel special like Magic Bands, Magic Express, etc going may not end up being good ideas. And I accept the 'new customers know nothing of the old benefits' argument.
I really hope the 'magic' is preserved as much as possible for us and for all future guests.

I think many folks want quality and value.

Disney, IMO, had both.

But it seems most folks believe the value has really slipped the last 5 years. How do they get it back?

Universal Orlando is phenomenal and Diagon Alley is probably the most immersive land in any theme park period. But they just can’t compete overall. Maybe in 20 or so years but they are a very long way off being a destination to spend 8 days straight. And as mentioned they provide little to no appeal for younger kids and never will be able to. The Disney IP catalogue cannot be beat.

This might change with their Nintendo themed land in their third gate when that park opens.

I think many folks want quality and value.

Disney, IMO, had both.

But it seems most folks believe the value has really slipped the last 5 years. How do they get it back?

They don't as long as people are paying.

What’s the only difference in going to the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT in 2016 vs 2021?

Fireworks show?

Thats it?

And how much have costs increased since then?

Think on it. Kinda amazing?

They don't as long as people are paying.

Yeah thats the nail on the head right there. As long as people keep coming and paying they won't stop.

It's the core reason we are changing our visiting style to once a year. We are big enough fans to put up with it on occasion, but not visit like we did with APs. So yeah, we are even part of the problem and the reason Disney knows they can do this.

What’s the only difference in going to the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT in 2016 vs 2021?

Fireworks show?

Thats it?

And how much have costs increased since then?

Think on it. Kinda amazing?

I think quite a bit is changing in the parks. I am happy with the level of investment. Epcot has a a lot of projects in development, doesn't that justify a price increase?

I think quite a bit is changing in the parks. I am happy with the level of investment. Epcot has a a lot of projects in development, doesn't that justify a price increase?
It justifies an increase but from a guest experience, other than things lost due to pandemic, materially there’s no difference in those 2 parks the last 5/6 years, right? How much have tickets increased since then? Pretty significant.

It justifies an increase but from a guest experience, other than things lost due to pandemic, materially there’s no difference in those 2 parks the last 5/6 years, right? How much have tickets increased since then? Pretty significant.
How much did you pay for your DVC contract? Will you be selling it for the same price you purchased it, less the value of the years you used?

And what's your take after reading that?

Buy Disney stock. They have pricing power. People will pay more than inflation rate increases to go to Disney. And less lower/middle income people will be able to afford Disney without getting into debt. Disney has the power like He-man, not the consumer. Nothing to get angry at as this has been the trend for decades.

This is why I think it peaked for me in the 90s. I was able to afford to go to WDW working a part time job while going to university. I wouldn't be able to get the same experience for the same money today.

Universal Orlando is phenomenal and Diagon Alley is probably the most immersive land in any theme park period. But they just can’t compete overall. Maybe in 20 or so years but they are a very long way off being a destination to spend 8 days straight. And as mentioned they provide little to no appeal for younger kids and never will be able to. The Disney IP catalogue cannot be beat.
There might be something to this for some kids. I took my 8 yr old twin nieces for their Birthday
to WDW and Universal. They seemed to have a good time at Universal but end of the day wanted
to go back to see the "princesses". Only one of my kids loves Harry Potter and read the books. Having
teens I always combine WDW trips with Universal because they enjoy it but I always notice they have
never stayed till closing and always call to pick them up early. Yet they seem to enjoy.

Come December we have 16 people for WDW ages from 5 to 70. We are the only ones doing UO also.
There has been major grumblings recently from them about recent changes/ price hikes and misgivings
about going at all. I put it out there we can go to Universal and all I heard was "why would we want
to go there" or "so and so wants to see Mickey and Minnie not Shrek". Or my Uncle stating he and
my Aunt are not going to a park with a lot of "teeny boppers". They want a nice "Family Place". :rotfl2:

We will continue to go and enjoy combo of both when we visit but UO definitely does not appeal to everyone. Honestly we want to take our kids while we can because with the crazy prices trips soon
will be down to zero.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter