New buses coming in early 2024 - ECV restrictions

Actually, that states "never travel down an incline or ramp backwards." (bolding is mine)

View attachment 834492

It does not state not to travel UP a ramp or incline backwards.

ETA: I don't understand the graphic icon -- it appears to be more of a "do not push up a ramp" rather than anything about tipping going down a ramp.
So the new rules of having ECVs backing UP the ramp so they don't have to travel down a ramp backwards when exiting are actually finally in accordance to the manual!

Could the OP be referring to the monorails? Don't they have an entrance on one side and exit on the other? So if you have to back in you would need to back out? I shouldn't speak for the OP, but that's what I thought they were talking about.

I actually like the new system on the buses now that I know it will be the DRIVER that drives me up the ramp backwards and parks me in the scooter place, and then I can just drive forward back to the ramp and down. It has to be a time saver for them.

Now if they could come up with a way to board, park and unload better on the boats, I'd be really happy!
So many sharp turns...

Could the OP be referring to the monorails? Don't they have an entrance on one side and exit on the other? So if you have to back in you would need to back out? I shouldn't speak for the OP, but that's what I thought they were talking about.

I actually like the new system on the buses now that I know it will be the DRIVER that drives me up the ramp backwards and parks me in the scooter place, and then I can just drive forward back to the ramp and down. It has to be a time saver for them.

Now if they could come up with a way to board, park and unload better on the boats, I'd be really happy!
So many sharp turns...
If all the drivers do that, that would be great. I know DH is always concerned. Sometimes he gets it just right, something it take three tries back and forth to get it in the right spot. Anytime a bus driver would say, would you like some help, he jumps at it.

Actually, DH's manual specifically DOES state to not go backwards down an incline or ramp and advises extreme caution backing down inclines or ramps for the Victory 10.2 and other Pride scooters. This on page 10 of the consumer safety guide at:
https://www.pridemobility.com/pride-mobility-scooters/victory-10-2-3-wheel/manuals.asp

That seems pretty clear to me to not go backwards on an incline or ramp or am I missing something here?

View attachment 834488
Well, yes - going DOWN an incline backwards is a problem (hence this change). You said that the documentation said not to go UP an incline backwards. So, yes, I guess you are missing something (the difference between going up and going down).

Actually, that states "never travel down an incline or ramp backwards." (bolding is mine)

View attachment 834492

It does not state not to travel UP a ramp or incline backwards.

ETA: I don't understand the graphic icon -- it appears to be more of a "do not push up a ramp" rather than anything about tipping going down a ramp.
Sue MN had said the manual for Pride Mobility devices never said anything about backing down a ramp, I was responding specifically to that comment because this clearly does say not to back down a ramp, but I do agree about the icon seeming odd.

Well, yes - going DOWN an incline backwards is a problem (hence this change). You said that the documentation said not to go UP an incline backwards. So, yes, I guess you are missing something (the difference between going up and going down).
Yes, you are right, I did miss that before, but there are still many times you are told to back down ramps.

Sue MN had said the manual for Pride Mobility devices never said anything about backing down a ramp, I was responding specifically to that comment because this clearly does say not to back down a ramp, but I do agree about the icon seeming odd.
No, she didn't. She said that the manual never said anything about backing UP a ramp because you have claimed that backing up a ramp is dangerous.
But you aren't supposed to back up an incline in most mobility devices, as it is not safe.

Pride is one of the major manufacturers for ECVs. Their owner manuals don't mention anything about backing down ramps. They DO advise users to lean forward when going up ramps to help avoid tipping backwards.

No, she didn't. She said that the manual never said anything about backing UP a ramp because you have claimed that backing up a ramp is dangerous.
She did indeed state that the manual never said anything about backing down a ramp, see above quote. Bold is me making the part clear, she didn't put it in bold originally.

And I did clarify in a post above that I was incorrect about backing up the ramp after rereading the manual, perhaps not as clearly as just now, but still.

She did indeed state that the manual never said anything about backing down a ramp, see above quote. Bold is me making the part clear, she didn't put it in bold originally.

And I did clarify in a post above that I was incorrect about backing up the ramp after rereading the manual, perhaps not as clearly as just now, but still.
That was more of an aside to the beginning part of her post which was regarding her experience with many high end powerchairs and the fact that none of them advise against backing UP an incline.

The rest was simply notating info she found on a few common scooter type devices… To my knowledge, she has never claimed to have first hand experience with ECVs.

Has anyone taken the new busses in an ECV and written a first hand account? Maybe I'm just missing the obvious.

I saw a live-streamed yesterday on a bus and he had his camera pointed at the two spots in the front which I think are the WC/ECV backup spots (the seats were up - the bus looked kinda empty). No one was in them.

I'm looking forward to describing my experience - I'll be staying at Port Orleans - Riverside from Friday March 1. I'm curious to know which resorts or parks have the new ECV busses at this point.
Just to add to the stay on ECV or take regular seat chat - I have always preferred to remain in my ECV because I don't want to take up anymore seats than necessary and I feel very secure in the ECV.

I was on one today. There are no regular seats on the level with mobility hook ups. You have to go up the stairs to get to those and there are only 19. More than half the bus is the mobility spots. First group on bus folded one section and sat. After that we filled the upper section and the guests behind us folded down the other seats. No devices were there when bus pulled up so I didn’t see any process for staying in seat or not. It would seem to utilize these spots, any family will need to stand to stay with them.

The other day I watched as a lady in wheelchair was parked, hookups front and back to chair, and then a seatbelt of some sort was put on her.

IMG_5713.jpeg

Are you saying that if all 3 of the HA spots are taken by mobility devices, that leaves only 19 spots for sitting? Sounds as if a parent holding a toddler could get sore arms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter