New buses coming in early 2024 - ECV restrictions

Which means that EVERYONE should wait in the same line for the bus. If there is room when you get to the bus, great, and if not, you wait for the next one.
I do think there needs to be a "compromise" because the mobility devices should always be loaded before other guests. I like the "system" at MK in theory but structurally it doesn't work. The turn off to the device loading lane is too late. It should be moved back several rows. This would insure the device user is loaded on the bus they would have been on if they had been in the standard line the whole time. By time they get to the cut off now the bus is already loading (if the bus is there). If they back the entrance up a few rows it is fair to all. It is a very workable system at the parks, if done right. At the resorts that depend on buses it will be more difficult to retrofit the system.

Last edited:
TouringPlans posted a picture of the new bus setup in TouringPlans Travel Beat 2-10-2024 - New Buses Join the Disney World Fleet.

Photo below by Erin Foster.

View attachment 833129

From the article:

"A member of our team happened to be on the maiden voyage of a new model of bus rolled out at Disney World this week as part of the resort’s transportation for guests. According to the bus driver, 90 of these new-style buses have been added to the existing fleet. So what’s different?

You won’t notice anything as the bus pulls up to the stop; comparing our photos side-by-side it seems like the front window is a little rounder. But when you board, you’ll find that the lower level is all stadium-style seating (with USB ports!) that offers more flexibility to fold up and make space for strollers or mobility vehicles. The older style buses can hold two ECVs, but the new ones can hold three and use new Q’Straint securement systems that offer better safety in case of an emergency or sudden stop."

Here's the link to the securement system on Q'Straint's website.
Make space for strollers? No, those need to be folded and not taking up seats that people need to sit on. If it's a stroller as wheelchair that has the proper frame for being used in a moving vehicle, that's different, of course.

Under a public bus seat? Gross
Not sure how this is any worse than using the other public USB ports at WDW. 🤷‍♀️
Yeah I’m kinda worried myself about this. I have a lot of trouble balancing standing on a bus. I guess I will have to wait for the next bus when it is standing room only.
i have balance issues due to a neurological condition and standing on a moving bus is very hard (I have a difficult time even on the “shuttle” section of RotR. This has always been a concern of mine even before the new buses.

Unfortunately, yes. Much more difficult!
I don’t think my DH could do it. He has problems looking over the shoulder. He has issues driving forward on buses. Think this is a ploy so people hire more Minnie vans?????

I don’t think my DH could do it. He has problems looking over the shoulder. He has issues driving forward on buses. Think this is a ploy so people hire more Minnie vans?????
No.

The problem they said they are addressing is the possibility of the ECV flipping backward… which has apparently happened on the monorail. The weight with the batteries and the person on the seat is entirely in the back of the vehicle… the front is comparatively very light… thus the possibility it can flip backwards. My understanding is the bus drivers find locking the scooter in place to be overly time consuming.

I’m not a fan of the new backup monorail protocol but honestly I don’t for a minute believe it is a ploy. I do think it is someone’s idea of how to solve a problem… and generating a whole new problem…. because they really don’t have any real life experience. Same with the new buses… hopefully the bus drivers will be happy. I think it will create a whole new set of problems.

BTW, some very nice CMs backed me up the monorail ramp which I could not have been more grateful for!

I think overall it will also save time with loading and unloading of the scooters.

The drivers that I have had are very skilled and polite - they always asked if I could do it myself or needed help. I got pretty good at it, but if there is a long line waiting, I usually let them do it. I even watched as they turned a scooter around in the aisle once.... I was amazed that there was room, but he did it!

It sure beats someone who is not used to tight spaces trying over and over again with a long line of other guests waiting to board (no critizism here, just that sometimes it happens to all of us).

Having the driver skillfully back me into the spot, the system "straping me down" and being able to drive forward to unload will be much quicker all the way around.

This whole backing up on the buses thing makes me thankful that Disney has the ramps in the MIDDLE of the buses instead of the front where you’d have to worry about getting around the driver’s seat.

Last edited:
No.

The problem they said they are addressing is the possibility of the ECV flipping backward… which has apparently happened on the monorail. The weight with the batteries and the person on the seat is entirely in the back of the vehicle… the front is comparatively very light… thus the possibility it can flip backwards. My understanding is the bus drivers find locking the scooter in place to be overly time consuming.

I’m not a fan of the new backup monorail protocol but honestly I don’t for a minute believe it is a ploy. I do think it is someone’s idea of how to solve a problem… and generating a whole new problem…. because they really don’t have any real life experience. Same with the new buses… hopefully the bus drivers will be happy. I think it will create a whole new set of problems.
The ploy comment was meant to be a joke. Guess it didn’t come across that way.

This whole backing up on the buses th makes me thankful that Disney has the ramps in the MIDDLE of the buses instead of the front where you’d have to worry about getting around the driver’s seat.
What I would rather have is two ramps, one in the front and one in the middle, drive in forward on the front ramp and into place, then drive off the middle ramp, again going forward.

No.

BTW, some very nice CMs backed me up the monorail ramp which I could not have been more grateful for!
But you aren't supposed to back up an incline in most mobility devices, as it is not safe.

Yeah, most wheelchair manufacturers (especially the high end powerchair builders) HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINST doing that.

The scooters are not very heavy on the front end...

On our last trip, my companion and I were both using scooters and entered the elevator in a "V" formation at the Land pavillion to go to the lower floor, which we have used many many times in the past and had no issues getting in or out.

This one time, there were a couple of other ladies that we figured could also fit around the scooters, so we all got on. When the doors opened to unload - doors open on the opposite side, so we should have been able to just drive out - she realized that she had driven a bit too far into the corner to allow room for the other two passengers, and couldn't turn her wheel to the left to exit.

From my scooter seat I was able to reached down and grab the bar in front of the wheel and easily tug it up and over a bit, and then she was able to turn the wheel far enough to exit. (This was a three wheeled scooter).

We all almost died laughing reliving that, and they called me "super woman," when in fact, it was mostly just a little wedged in, and not heavy at all.

So I can see where it could be very back heavy.

As fr as the driver backing the scooters up the ramp on the bus, I think with their extra control and weight, it shouldn't really be a problem. Monorails are different if the CMs don't help the scooter on and off.

Last edited:
Yeah, most wheelchair manufacturers (especially the high end powerchair builders) HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINST doing that.
You have posted this multiple times. My daughter is on her 3rd high end power wheelchair and we have never been told this or seen it in a manual. All the manuals give maximum slopes, but don't say only go forward. I rechecked manuals reçently to make sure nothing changed.
Please provide documentation if you have any

My daughter currently has a Permobil F5 VS power chair - very high end. There is nothing in the user manual for that model or the M-series that says anything about not backing up slopes.
Quickie Power chair user guides mention using the rear view mirrors when backing (if equipped) and making sure to take into account how far out the mirrors extend. They also advise not backing down curbs into traffic.
Invacare power chair manuals don't say anything about backing UP ramps, but state this:
"Traveling down inclines in reverse could cause the wheelchair to tip over resulting in death or serious injury
-DO NOT travel down inclines in reverse."
Jazzy power wheelchair user manuals say to go up inclines if possible. Quantum doesn't address.

Pride is one of the major manufacturers for ECVs. Their owner manuals don't mention anything about backing down ramps. They DO advise users to lean forward when going up ramps to help avoid tipping backwards.

You have posted this multiple times. My daughter is on her 3rd high end power wheelchair and we have never been told this or seen it in a manual. All the manuals give maximum slopes, but don't say only go forward. I rechecked manuals reçently to make sure nothing changed.
Please provide documentation if you have any

My daughter currently has a Permobil F5 VS power chair - very high end. There is nothing in the user manual for that model or the M-series that says anything about not backing up slopes.
Quickie Power chair user guides mention using the rear view mirrors when backing (if equipped) and making sure to take into account how far out the mirrors extend. They also advise not backing down curbs into traffic.
Invacare power chair manuals don't say anything about backing UP ramps, but state this:
"Traveling down inclines in reverse could cause the wheelchair to tip over resulting in death or serious injury
-DO NOT travel down inclines in reverse."
Jazzy power wheelchair user manuals say to go up inclines if possible. Quantum doesn't address.

Pride is one of the major manufacturers for ECVs. Their owner manuals don't mention anything about backing down ramps. They DO advise users to lean forward when going up ramps to help avoid tipping backwards.
Actually, DH's manual specifically DOES state to not go backwards down an incline or ramp and advises extreme caution backing down inclines or ramps for the Victory 10.2 and other Pride scooters. This on page 10 of the consumer safety guide at:
https://www.pridemobility.com/pride-mobility-scooters/victory-10-2-3-wheel/manuals.asp

That seems pretty clear to me to not go backwards on an incline or ramp or am I missing something here?

SC_Consumer_Safety_Guide_om_RevJ_Jul23_3989-indd-sc_consumer_safety_guide-pdf.png

That seems pretty clear to me to not go backwards on an incline or ramp or am I missing something here?
Actually, that states "never travel down an incline or ramp backwards." (bolding is mine)

1708105878880.png

It does not state not to travel UP a ramp or incline backwards.

ETA: I don't understand the graphic icon -- it appears to be more of a "do not push up a ramp" rather than anything about tipping going down a ramp.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter