New Dining Plan Brochure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so let me ask you all this ...

I too have a 10yr old son who usually wants the kids menu. I wonder if he can order of the kids menu ... we pay oop for him and save his bonifide A credit for later?

WDWO

wdwobsessed said:

I too have a 10yr old son who usually wants the kids menu. I wonder if he can order of the kids menu ... we pay oop for him and save his bonifide A credit for later?

WDWO

I think that would work from what I just read on another thread. I would put a link here to it , but am not sure how to do that yet. One lady said her child/adult would order an adult appetizer, a child entree and a dessert from either menu.

wdwobsessed said:

WDWO

If I can order off the child's menu and pay OPP for my ds10, why couldn't I use a child credit for him instead(if the credits were indeed separated) - same difference, isn't it? I guess simply put, that was my question in the beginning...ahhhhh, my brain is fried!

akalittleeva said:
If I can order off the child's menu and pay OPP for my ds10, why couldn't I use a child credit for him instead(if the credits were indeed separated) - same difference, isn't it? I guess simply put, that was my question in the beginning...ahhhhh, my brain is fried!

That was my thought. I think your situation is a good example of why separating them would be a VERY good thing...that way when they looked on the computer, they would know you had adult credits to spare when you DID want two adult meals for your children, or a signature meal for just the two of you. Does that make sense in writing, or only in my head? :confused3
I do hope they change the computer system...as a group of three adults, we don't like subsidizing those who abuse the system, and it stinks for people with kids who aren't trying to pull anything...if the credits were clearly distinguished in the system, there'd be no question and you could probably use your credits effectively without the raised eyebrows and hassle.

What is the wording on the CS and TS non-buffet places where kids meals are concerned?

Would a "normal" family with a 10 year old child not on the DDP be able to order off the kids meal at a non-buffet place? I think THAT is the question.

Are they marked "For our guests 9 & under"?

I also know of adults who order kids meals if they are not that hungry. I think if you are paying for it you should be allowed, it is a smaller portion hence why it is less money.

WDWO

I am an adult and often order off the kids menu at restaurants because it is all I can eat. I don't think Disney of all places will complain about this.

PureTcrazy said:
I don't know of any restaurant at WDW or anywhere else that will let adults order off the children's menu and pay children's prices.

My 14y old DD and her best friend order childrens meals 50% of the time in places such as Fridays, or Dennys for breakfast, and about 75% of the time when we are at places IE Burger King etc... This is just what they like, and I have NEVER been told no. Once while I was preggers in early '05, before Ariel was born, I ORDERED A KIDS MEAL, and loved it :rotfl:

Wow, I'm really starting to think my kids must eat an unusual amount...there is no way my 6 year old is going to be satisfied with any kids meal, and I'm trying to figure out how I can feed him on the DDP!?:confused3

kcrew said:
Wow, I'm really starting to think my kids must eat an unusual amount...there is no way my 6 year old is going to be satisfied with any kids meal, and I'm trying to figure out how I can feed him on the DDP!?:confused3

I know exactly what you mean. On our last visit to WDW we were having lunch at the ABC Commisary at MGM and my 9 year old got the adult burger meal. He finished it all off, then was trying to snag a piece of my fish (from the fish & chips meal). Back off buddy! :rotfl:

I'm glad that he will be 10 during our November trip. Portion size aside, he doesn't like the standard kids' fare of chicken fingers and mac & cheese. Give the boy a steak and he's a happy camper! :woohoo:

I have occasionally order a child's meal at DW restaurants when I was not very hungry and wanted to keep my dh company while he chowed down. :sunny:

We ate at the Japanese TS place one time and I ordered the child's meal which was about half of the adult meal and my hubby was kind of put off because I got just as much food as he did and got a drink and ice cream to boot. He shut up when I gave him the dessert. ;)

I always ask and have never been turned down at DW. Other places, off site, sometimes they allow it and sometimes they do not.

Slightly Goofy

So wait..lol, im sorry im dense.

I have a son who turns 10 the week we go. He wieghs all of 52lbs and is about the same inches tall. He's very small, and easily passes as 7 or 8. Now he will be 10 and we paid the extra for EVERYTHING to get him there as an adult,HOWEVER...he eats like a not so hungry bird. I do good to see him eat all of a kids meal. There are several places he has looked at the menu and WANTS the kids meal. Kona Cafe, California Grill, and 50's Prime time.

Does this mean he can not order off the kids meal and I can pay OOP? I hate to make him waste a credit on a kids meal (and yes im thinking of myself, blast away, but with a light eater we could use the extra credits at Cali grill...)

So how much trouble would this be for us to attempt. Were also eating at Crystal Palace, Ohana, Spoodles, and Le Cellier, but he wants to order adult here. Thanks!

I could be totally wrong, but IMHO this is what I think Disney is trying to do. They are trying to implement changes because it is getting to be very difficult for servers to determine who should be able to order what and how it all should be paid for. Possibly also to clear up the issue of people paying out of pocket for the child meals and then using the child credit to order an adult meal for the adult in the party. :confused3 If you are planning a signature meal that needs 2 credits, then you would need to save credits for both adult and child, not just the child. If this is the case, and you choose to eat more TS meals then you have credits for, you would then need to pay OOP for ALL people in the party, not just the children. I'm also afraid that issue like these are going to make it difficult to even share meals. :rolleyes:

Now, also IMHO, the issue of what kind of food someone would like to order is a seperate issue. I would be very suprised if a restaurant would turn down a request to order a meal of the same type of food that is in a children's meal for any "adult" regardless of age, but especially one between the ages of 10 to 18. Servers are people just like you and me, they have children that will not eat adult type food also and would understand if someones 12 year old wanted chicken tenders and fries instead of lobster stuffed ravioli. Just with any special dinning request, respectfully ask the server if this is an option prior to deciding on what everone wants to eat and placing your order. You may be suprised what the answer is.

I'm going to call tomorrow and get some clarification. should be an interesting call . . . maybe I'll have fun and call back a couple of times and get a few different CM's. :)

I'm disappointed but understanding, because a few times now we've done various incarnations of the dining plan (paid) and were always able to save/split points as we saw fit. I knew it was too good to last! :rotfl:

Even so, now we have ADR's based on the old set-up . . . we'd been planning on paying OOP for some of my child's meals and saving her TS points for HDHMR. Now I'm thinking about continuing to pay OOP for her meals, and using the child points to order child's meals for myself at some venues instead so I can save some of my TS credits for the special meals. There's certain places I prefer the child's menu anyway (especially Sci Fi, the child's dog is actually palatable there!) and I'm a very light eater and would be perfectly happy with a child's portion. In this case I would be getting exactly what I paid for and not scamming them at all (yes, we paid for the dining plan) so I wouldn't think they would be able to deny me? :confused3

BlindTyldak said:
I'm going to call tomorrow and get some clarification. should be an interesting call . . . maybe I'll have fun and call back a couple of times and get a few different CM's. :)

:rotfl: That should be a very interesting call! :lmao: But, I think part of what started so many of these type of threads is because someone was told the credits were seperate. (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1145085) :confused3 Well, any way good luck with your call and let us know what they say. :thumbsup2

GoofyforDisney3 said:
:rotfl: That should be a very interesting call! :lmao: But, I think part of what started so many of these type of threads is because someone was told the credits were seperate. (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1145085) :confused3 Well, any way good luck with your call and let us know what they say. :thumbsup2

well it definitely now sounds like they are, based on the new brochure. :confused3 I'm still going to call to be on the safe side, but I actually just went through a couple of the menus for the ADR's we have and found a few that based off of the lunch prices and what they offer, we wouldn't have gotten our dollar's worth if we used TS anyway (Sci Fi and Whispering Canyon, to us, have skippable entrees and very sharable desserts). It would be pretty much a waste for us to use TS credits at those.

So IMHO, if the split credits do end up being a fact, my personal suggestion for people would be to preruse the menus before you go, and look to see if you have ADR's where the adult entrees are mostly in the $10-$15 range. These would be mostly lunch menus at non-buffet/family style places. Pay OOP for those and save the TS points for your 2 pointers, or for dinners only, which tend to be a lot more expensive.

Tink10 said:
It has been explained to me that the change in the works will "officially" differentiate adult & child credits. It will work the same as it does now as far as the KTTW cards are concerned.

just out of curiosity, who gave you this explaination? I was just wondering if it was another DISer or a CM or someone in corporate at Disney? Thanks

BlindTyldak said:
well it definitely now sounds like they are, based on the new brochure. :confused3 I'm still going to call to be on the safe side, but I actually just went through a couple of the menus for the ADR's we have and found a few that based off of the lunch prices and what they offer, we wouldn't have gotten our dollar's worth if we used TS anyway (Sci Fi and Whispering Canyon, to us, have skippable entrees and very sharable desserts). It would be pretty much a waste for us to use TS credits at those.

So IMHO, if the split credits do end up being a fact, my personal suggestion for people would be to preruse the menus before you go, and look to see if you have ADR's where the adult entrees are mostly in the $10-$15 range. These would be mostly lunch menus at non-buffet/family style places. Pay OOP for those and save the TS points for your 2 pointers, or for dinners only, which tend to be a lot more expensive.

:dance3: I see why so many people think the dining plan is a hassle.

IMHO, people should just book the ADRs they want, go to the restaurant, enjoy the meal, and not worry about "maxing out the plan". :sad2:

My son(he was 13 then) and I used the plan during our April 2005 trip. We had lunch at Sci-Fi, dinner at Whispering Canyon Café, breakfast at Crystal Palace...

There were plenty of times we didn't order a dessert and/or appetizer. Even so, we still came out ahead by using the dining plan.

I think everyone should just relax, enjoy your trips and all the great food

I'm not as concerned with the TS credits. My boys are 8 and 4 and both enjoy the childrens choices (well, ds8 does...ds4 is hit or miss any time he's eating!). Anyway, we're fine with ordering a children's meal during TS dining.

For me the issue is the CS meals. I know that WDW is trying to offer more "healthy" alternatives at some of the CS places, but there is no way that my ds8 will ever eat a cold chicken meal. He wants the burger and fries. And to find that there is no child version of the main items being offered at most CS places makes it difficult to feed him. Even my ds4 won't eat most of those things (neither will touch PB&J...neither will I for that matter).

So I don't have a problem with them differentiating the TS credits for A/C. But I wonder if they will also do it for CS.

During one of our last trips, when I tried to order 3 A meals at Cosmic Ray's, the CM told me that I couldn't do it and I had to order 2A meals and pay then 1A meal and pay. Our cards said 2A/2C. I was allowed, but not at the same time. No problem, as long as I could get the A meals to share between all of us.

So does anyone have any hard knowledge if they are going to separate the CS credits as well? This is where most of my interest lies.

Thanks.

4mcbjCtr said:
I am an adult and often order off the kids menu at restaurants because it is all I can eat. I don't think Disney of all places will complain about this.

The menus at Disney all state that the child's menu is for ages 3-9. It used to be higher a few years ago, like 10 or 11. I think they made it in line with their ticket prices when the new MYW plans came out. I'm sure a child who is close wouldn't have a problem ordering off the children's menu. However, at San Angel Inn in Dec the table next to us had two young teenagers who wanted to order off the children's menu and they were told "no, it's for ages 3-9." They even had the manager come over and he said they could order the kids meal but, they would have to pay double or something higher. The mother was making quite a fuss about it. Anyone who has eaten there knows how close the tables are...LOL. Other people eating started muttering "they are over 9, just order an adult meal..." The manager REFUSED to back down and the people did order adult meals for the kids. They were not happy about it, but the people eating around them were!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter