New eatery @ Saratoga Springs?

:earseek: You mean they actually serve food in that place we cut through to get to Buzz Lighlyear? ;) I have seen it open once in 2.5 years (other than a place for hot chocolate and cookies at the Christmas party).

For my family, the AP works wonderfully! If my kids think its pizza, they will eat it 3 times a day for a week! However, I can see how some would not like the food. I actually an happy to have a quick service restaurant onsite. If we want a sit down dinner, I don't have a problem walking to DTD (or driving) or going over to Olivias, etc. Our needs will change obviously, but the thing that REALLY appeals to me about all the DVC resorts is how different they all are and how each one has something wonderful to offer. I see going to try restaurants at other resorts as part of the thrill of being there. (but I certainly "understand tired, hot, just get me a decent meal without making me travel" feelings as well.

My biggest concern about an onsite restaurant is that it will not make good income and will cost US big bucks as SSR owners. We tend to travel "off season" for now so I can't really know for sure, but a lot of the times we have been at restaurants at the resorts, they were not even close to being full. (even the week of spring break for GA last year). I am not sure how BIG a restaurant would have to be to break even, but hopefully if they DO add one (as most people want), they wont over build it.

Laura

I'm the one who posted last week upon returning from SSR that I had a discussion with a front-desk CM about the new buildings (Grandstand & Carrousel - they are currently excavating them now) as well as a propsed restaurant. He said that the restaurant details are the most difficult to hammer out as they have to look at: location, type of food, style, feasability. He said that they are well aware of the need for a restaurant as Artist's Palette doesn't appeal to as many as they thought, as well as the fact that it's difficult to dine at Downtown Disney due to high traffic as people visit here from all over the city. He said they are seriously looking at a restaurant at this time, but as with all corporate ideas, some things take time to come to fruition.

Hope this helps, Tiger

lllovell said:
My biggest concern about an onsite restaurant is that it will not make good income and will cost US big bucks as SSR owners. We tend to travel "off season" for now so I can't really know for sure, but a lot of the times we have been at restaurants at the resorts, they were not even close to being full. (even the week of spring break for GA last year). I am not sure how BIG a restaurant would have to be to break even, but hopefully if they DO add one (as most people want), they wont over build it.

Laura

I was searching for the veggie sides in the cold case, and was told that they were removed as they were not selling and rather than pass the cost on to members, the decision was made to discontinue them. Laura, that supports your concern. (They did cheerfully go and find me something to take away ie hummus and a few other items)

I'm surprised to see so many negatives here about Olivia's. We love it! It's casual, with good food, farely reasonable prices (and DVC members get the added discount) and we've always had the best service. We especially love breakfast there -- they make a pineapple jam for the pancakes that I get for my toast. YUMMY! Coconut Shrimp and Conch Chowder are great later in the day.

I'd personally love to see a casual sitdown place like Olivia's at SSR -- obviously different theming and an appropriately-themed menu. To me, DVC is about relaxing. When we want to eat a fancy meal, we're willing to go elsewhere for it. If we're eating at our resort, it's usually because we just want to relax!

That said, we won't be staying at SSR for the first time until next week -- but given how much we eat at Olivia's when we're at OKW, I'm guessing I'll agree that a sitdown is necessary.

Did anybody ever eat at Seasons? Can anyone confirm that it is still there?

I liked the noddle place by Buzz, but the kids HATED it. I think it was a little too trendy. They would have liked a more basic noodle bowl, more plain for the kids I guess is what I'm saying... The kids meals were a little too fancy there.

Is the Italian food already in Fantasyland?!? I think that is great! My DD7 hates hotdogs, not a big fan of hamburgers and the only other thing they had for kids there was PB&J - which she is allergic to. We usually cruised back over to Columbia if we ended up in that area around lunch time.

lenshanem said:
I liked the noddle place by Buzz, but the kids HATED it. I think it was a little too trendy. They would have liked a more basic noodle bowl, more plain for the kids I guess is what I'm saying... The kids meals were a little too fancy there.

Is the Italian food already in Fantasyland?!? I think that is great! My DD7 hates hotdogs, not a big fan of hamburgers and the only other thing they had for kids there was PB&J - which she is allergic to. We usually cruised back over to Columbia if we ended up in that area around lunch time.

As of last week the Village Haus had not changed over. The comparable place in DL has been 'Italian' for years ie personal size pizza and pasta with tomato sauce - nothing to write home about, but a change from the usual burger place!

JerJan said:
IMHO the Artist Pallet doesn't do enough business...because the selection there isn't very appealing :sad2: ...especially for children that are "PICKY" eaters. I love my "HOME RESORT, SSR" but I will probably avoid staying there in the future until they have another restaurant with better food choices available.

SueOKW........ I see we're nieghbors! :wave2:

That's what I was thinking too. What they need to do first is get a food court/counter serve that's kid-friendly. When I was there, I had a turkey and cheese on wheat bread. What was the cheese? Brie! Now I love brie, but it didn't seem kid-friendly. And do kids nowadays eat wheat bread? When my kids were little, it had to be the squishy, white bread for them.

Our family liked the options at SSR and we have picky kids but they love Chicken nuggets so that was a plus but even without that the food options were good. It seems to ber more picky adults by the sounds of things I hate to say.

bavaria said:
I was searching for the veggie sides in the cold case, and was told that they were removed as they were not selling and rather than pass the cost on to members, the decision was made to discontinue them. Laura, that supports your concern. (They did cheerfully go and find me something to take away ie hummus and a few other items)

I am very glad to know they do pay close attention to things like that. Obviously, its in all of our interest for there to be little waste at the DVC resorts.

I have just asked our guide and there is to be a new restaurant built at SSR. sorry but I never thought to ask where

lllovell said:
I am very glad to know they do pay close attention to things like that. Obviously, its in all of our interest for there to be little waste at the DVC resorts.

Definitely, and it was explained to me politely, along with an offer to find me something. Luckily the hummus I like is still part of the sandwich prep, so I was able to walk away with lunch.

Oddly, the take away items like eggs, dips, etc do best at POP, I am told, as the guests are more value concious and like the price range, etc. I just like the veggie option, and stock up whenever I find items like that.

bavaria said:
Definitely, and it was explained to me politely, along with an offer to find me something. Luckily the hummus I like is still part of the sandwich prep, so I was able to walk away with lunch.

Oddly, the take away items like eggs, dips, etc do best at POP, I am told, as the guests are more value concious and like the price range, etc. I just like the veggie option, and stock up whenever I find items like that.

I don't think we have bought much at the "pick up" or grocery side at any resort. I guess we have been coming down enough that I know where the grocery stores are now and I am too "value conscious" to pay for a Coke there when I can get 3-4 at the grocery for the same price. (and boy does that come full circle with some other conversations people are having here on other boards about guests spending money at disney lol)

We DO eat at the hotels though and I am looking forward to lunch at the AP many times during our trip in December. :)

...a quality full service restaurant and food service facility @ SSR could do a healthy business with weddings, private parties, meetings, conventions, etc. The setting and location, at that corner of The World, would be unique.

Indeed, a first-rate restaurant should have been a cornerstone of the resort. Put it right on the water to take advantage of that gorgeous view across the lake. They could've made a big production out of it at DD too, with an upscale "check-in" dock and dedicated luxury boat launch. The synergy of increased exposure to the public might have sped sales of the property as well.

I also wish they would create a sit-down restaurant. We don't always want to pack up the kids in the car, or walk to Downtown Disney for dinner after we're tired from a busy day. If SSR's going to be one of the biggest DVC resorts, I'm sure a restaurant is in the future plan somewhere... :earboy2:

lllovell said:
I don't think we have bought much at the "pick up" or grocery side at any resort. I guess we have been coming down enough that I know where the grocery stores are now and I am too "value conscious" to pay for a Coke there when I can get 3-4 at the grocery for the same price. (and boy does that come full circle with some other conversations people are having here on other boards about guests spending money at disney lol)

We DO eat at the hotels though and I am looking forward to lunch at the AP many times during our trip in December. :)

I agree about most grocery items - I buy my water, etc offsite. I do like the sides however, and the fresh hummus is no comparison to the rubbery stuff found in most grocery deli sections. I also like to pick up a few hard boiled eggs to have them on hand... I just like having some nice dips and other veggie items in my fridge 'just in case' for those short trips... so I DO often drive over to POP to pick them up! :)

As I've said before, I think SSR missed the boat not having a nice centrally located restaurant. Putting one in the Phase 3 section would be a plus but far removed from some of the buildings and it'd be a shame to miss out on the water view. I think a very nice family style restaurant would have been the best, something along the lines of Spoodles or maybe Boatwright's or maybe a little above. But I could see a more upscale restaurant also, similar to Artist Point, Narcossee's, etc. Or even a combo like at VB with encouragement for use from DD.

I hope they do so but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

spiceycat said:
when I was there - Artist Pointe was not doing enough business to warant a second restuarant.QUOTE]

We've tried the place once and enjoyed the food when we eventually received it from the rude CM. We were the only family in line and the CM acted as if we were putting her out by placing an order.

We'll try it again but with service like that I'm not looking forward to it.

Yep, I got attitude also for asking for a to go box for my DD's food. Interestingly the box was within my reach, but she told me I couldn't take one myself. Said - you'll have to wait, so I waited and then she ignored me for forever. I finally asked the CM working the store and she walked over and got me a box with smiles. Didn't quite understand what that was all about. It was the only rude CM we encountered at SSR.

spiceycat said:
when I was there - Artist Pointe was not doing enough business to warant a second restuarant.

but the newer section that DVC hasn't started yet will be further away - so maybe one there would be nice. At the least a snack bar.

JMO, but I think that people are staying away because of the menu - lack of variety and quality of food. I know we only tried it once (in Nov. after it opened) and decided we wouldn't bother going back. For the price, quality and choices, we would rather make sandwiches in our room before going there. The CMs that were behind the counter taking the order acted like we were bothering them by ordering and there were several tables with garbage, such as dirty cups, plates, etc. on them. I just wasn't impressed and was disappointed that this was all that was available to us, after staying on some of the other DVC properties.

Don't get me wrong - I like the SSR (my home resort) and enjoy the new, beautiful decor and the quietness of it, after a long day of overload at the parks, etc. My complaint is strickly with the AP - I just felt that the AP is disappointing and not up to DVC standards...Of course, I can understand if that was all they were opening, during the first phase and if the next phase was alsways to include more of a sit down restaurant when the rest of the resort is open. That would make sense...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter