New Gardner

eeyorefanatic

Devoted 2 Eeyore
I live in a town house that has no soil so i just planted my first attempt at a container garden. I started with some basic herbs from seeds but would love to branch out. I am thinking of buying some plants so that my empty pots don't look so pathetic out there. I dont get a whole lot of sun (only in afternoon) and would love any advice. I have historically had a black thumb but am determmined to try to make a go at this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I "gardened" for years in pots when we were apartment dwellers...I grew orchids indoors and lots of herbs, lavender, annuals like geraniums in pots out on our deck.

you don't say what area you live in - but it is almost impossible to kill lavender and rosemary in pots (both will forgive you if you forget to water on a daily basis). geraniums are great for color and can be moved indoors into the fall.

now that we've been in our house for 10 years with a pretty big yard - I still do up pots of annuals for the front porch and grow herbs in pots in the back. I also have two rose trees in pots and these have wintered over well for 2 years.

give it a try - talk to someone at your neighbor home depot or loews and get a few pot and get started.

-LA

I do a LOT of container gardening, and have found that even in shade, you can do some really unique arrangements. Coleus plants (since you're from GA, you'll be able to get these) do very well in less than sunny spots (they do even better in sun, but I've had great luck with them). Also, Bromiliads are fairly hardy, and VERY easy to care for. Impatiens do very well in shady spots as well (I have two double-impatien hanging baskets that are thriving right now). Also, (and I know I sound like a broken record here) but Orchids love the indirect outdoor light. I have them scattered around my patio, and they are doing quite well! Also, a Boston Fern will add some nice big GREEN color to your balcony and does well in shade.

I'll let you know if I think of any others.

Pete

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter