• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Hotel at DI

thefman

Earning My Ears
I hear rumor of a new small but luxury hotel to be placed on Discover Island.
The only way to and from will be launches, but a main check in building will be along the lagoon.
Similiar to AKL when it opened, this one will not allow guest who are not staying at or have a dining reservation.

Have not heard anything about the theme or amoint of rooms yet

Anything's possible... but this rumor really sounds like wishful thinking.

First, consider the cost and complexity of building a major structure where all building materials must be loaded and unloaded from trucks to barges and back to trucks -- or where trucks need to be ferried over. And you can't just drive the crane onto the construction site either.

Next, once completed, consider the logistics of bringing food (including refrigerated and frozen items) and other supplies to such an island resort. Trash removal becomes much more difficult and costly. Even luggage handling becomes complex and costly compared to a resort where you can drive up.

Then, consider fire safety and emergency services. The island would have to have its own fire station, as well as emergency boat service with transfer to ambulances.

Next, consider that the guest check-in and dock would need to be fairly distant from Discovery Island, such as by the Wilderness Lodge -- or that they would have to cut a road to some place near the Pioneer Hall / Crockett's Tavern area of Ft. Wilderness. For guests, the boat ride to the island would be fun at first, but it would get old fast.

Sure, if Disney could charge a high enough rate, they could pay for the additional cost and complexity of building and running a resort on Discovery Island. But now-a-days, Disney doesn't seem interested in projects that require premium construction costs and premium operating costs.

For guests, a Discovery Island Resort could be a nice experience, at least while at the resort. And there could be direct boat service to the Magic Kingdom. But for other destinations, guests would first need to wait for a boat to the Wilderness Lodge or the Contemporary or possibly to the check-in builidng -- and then wait for a bus to their destination. Not very convenient, is it?

There are still plenty of other undeveloped waterfront locations on WDW. If Disney decides to develop another deluxe resort -- or even an ultra-deluxe resort -- there are plenty of other good places to build.

Anyway, this is a fun rumor, but I consider the chance of it actually becoming a reality to be near zero.

This one has actually surfaced a couple of times since I started moderating this board - so far no go for the very reasons Horace Horsecollar mentions, I suspect.

Sarangel

I think there's also an issue of endangered species that live on the island.

It's unlikely any major development would happen there. I could make a cool place for a really out of the way dining/show experience of some sort. I've heard rumors along those lines too....

rumors I've heard over the past couple of years from sources of varying credibility:

1. "High end" small resort
2. Honey moon cottages
3. Day camp for children; "Camp Hakuna Matata"
4. New mini-park themed after MYST computer game
5. Expanded pirate experience for children modeled after grand floridian pirate cruise
6. picnic spot for guests at the wilderness'es
7. Family "recreation" area (?)
8. Spot for special corporate meetings / retreats
9. family scavenger hunt
10. left to rot

Actually I think I've heard more but I can't remember them now.

DR

There was always the fun Beach Blanket Bingo rumor...

But really the honeymoon cottages and MYST rumors seemed to be the only serious ones, and both are now very dead.

Wow a Myst island....I can just see the plans now.

First you must sign many waviers before being allowed to go. Then you given large amounts of GHB to erase you memory. Your then droped off on the island with only a letter to guide you.

No really what were the rumors about the Myst island?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter