New Luggage - Rolling Duffels or Standup

WDWorld2003

DIS Veteran
Saw the thread below - we are also in the process of purchasing luggage. Brought home a set of 4 nesting stand up pieces by Samsonite but am having second thoughts as they seem SO heavy and hard to store. I do like them because you can attach other things to them and they seem more durable and seem easier to get around in the airport, but...

I like duffels because you can store them under the bed. We already have two nice duffels but they don't roll:(

Would like to hear any experience you have had with either type of luggage. Especially, when you have all carry ons and luggage with you and are making your way through airports and hotels. Thanks!:D

Last I knew LLBean had rolling duffles. I haven't looked lately. My DH cousin has their largest one and that thing can hold everything. It has also been through a few "wars" and is still going strong. Since they live on an island and regularly travel back to the northeast via boat and pickup you know what abuse it can get.
Plus they have great warrenties on their stuff.

I love my Eagle Creek rolling duffle. I purchased it to carry scuba gear but usually use it in the US to carry a queen size down comforter and two down pillows. I travel a lot and like the comforts of home.

Empty, the bag weighs less than 10 lbs. It will stand on end and has a "U" shaped zipper for easy access instead of a straight zipper.

My Eagle Creek bag is made of durable Cordura nylon and being dark green, is easy to spot on a turnstyle. Eagle Creek has a lifetime warranty so I know it will last. I have had no problems getting free repairs after an airline damages my Eagle Creek luggage.

It won't flatten completely when empty because of its plastic protective bottom used while it stands on one end.

Luggage tips: Try not to use a bag that is very large. Airlines recently implemented maximum dimensions for normal checked luggage. Those traveling with bags larger than the max have been charged large penalties. Also, large duffles can get very heavy and be subject to overweight charges on overseas flights.

To keep a big duffle organized, pack articles in mesh bags. Test the wheeled bag in a store and make sure it wheels easily without ever tipping over.

I highly recommend a rolling duffle or other soft sided (light weight but durable) rolling luggage. I can easily handle two large rolling bags plus a carryon with no strain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter