New member buying VGF direct

crazydecoratoruk

Earning My Ears
Hi

we are very new to DVC and in the process of buying 100 points resale for BLT and trying to also buy 150 points direct for VGF. We are from the UK so don’t qualify for many incentives but still feel it’s the right time to get in. we had wanted to split our purchase into two smaller contracts in case we ever need to sell but she says we need to have a 150 point contract to qualify for the blue card.

Based on what I have read I don’t think that’s right, I think even as a brand new purchaser we should be able to buy 150pt split into 100 and 50, but she says she has checked with her manager.

I guess I want to know from your experienced DVC’ers whether it is administratively easier to hold just one 150 pt contract and also on resale (hopefully not for a long time) whether it makes that much difference to have a 100 and a 50 pt versus on 150pt contract

thanks very much!

You have to have a total of 150 direct points to qualify for member benefits. I believe the minimum buy-in for new members is 150 points, but once your re-sale goes through you won't be a new member. So, you could split the direct purchase into 100 and 50 point contracts to get the "blue card". You'll pay extra closing costs, but if that doesn't matter...

For what it's worth, I don't think you'd have a huge problem selling a 150 pt contract at VGF. Both my contracts are over 200 pts each and, though I have no intention to sell, I don't think it would be too hard.

You have to have a total of 150 direct points to qualify for member benefits. I believe the minimum buy-in for new members is 150 points, but once your re-sale goes through you won't be a new member. So, you could split the direct purchase into 100 and 50 point contracts to get the "blue card". You'll pay extra closing costs, but if that doesn't matter...

For what it's worth, I don't think you'd have a huge problem selling a 150 pt contract at VGF. Both my contracts are over 200 pts each and, though I have no intention to sell, I don't think it would be too hard.
The minimum buy in for new owners is 100 (not 150) so the OP could split to 100/50 right now however like you said 150 is needed for member benefits. If they were to sell below that amount they would lose the member benefits.

Also once their resale closes they can go down to 50/50/50 if they wanted (some resorts even allow 25 as the smallest amount for existing members).

Hi

we are very new to DVC and in the process of buying 100 points resale for BLT and trying to also buy 150 points direct for VGF. We are from the UK so don’t qualify for many incentives but still feel it’s the right time to get in. we had wanted to split our purchase into two smaller contracts in case we ever need to sell but she says we need to have a 150 point contract to qualify for the blue card.

Based on what I have read I don’t think that’s right, I think even as a brand new purchaser we should be able to buy 150pt split into 100 and 50, but she says she has checked with her manager.

I guess I want to know from your experienced DVC’ers whether it is administratively easier to hold just one 150 pt contract and also on resale (hopefully not for a long time) whether it makes that much difference to have a 100 and a 50 pt versus on 150pt contract

thanks very much!

On average, the smaller contracts might resell for 5%-10% more than somewhat larger contracts. The bigger benefit to me is that, if your travel habits change later on, it allows you to partially divest as opposed to fully divest. You don't have to sell the full 150 points, but can sell only 50 and keep the rest (albeit it may cost you blue card benefits, the points will still be unrestricted and can book Riviera for example).

How far along if your Bay Lake purchase? These incentives are expected to last through the summer (and I don't think you qualify for Magical Beginnings as a non-resident, so you don't have to worry about that part going away without notice). It may make sense to wait for that to finalize and then go through with the direct purchase, so you get better incentives and more flexibility splitting the contracts, and you can also make sure everything ends up in the same owner account.

As mentioned, the minimum for membership extras, the blue card is 150 points. So, while you can split the 150 into 100/50 if you want, selling either one of those contracts will make you ineligible for membership extras later on, and then you’d need to meet whatever minimum might be in play.

I own at VGF and I have contracts of 250, 150, and 168. So I don’t think it is a problem.

The only reason I can think of that they will not split it for you is that the new member minimum is currently 150. If someone wanted to game the system, they could split into 100 and 50 and then cancel one of them during the recission period. Also, someone might try to take advantage of a higher discount level and then cancel One of the contracts. I am still surprised they will not do it for you, because this would seem to be a pretty rare case

I own at VGF and I have contracts of 250, 150, and 168. So I don’t think it is a problem.

The only reason I can think of that they will not split it for you is that the new member minimum is currently 150. If someone wanted to game the system, they could split into 100 and 50 and then cancel one of them during the recission period. Also, someone might try to take advantage of a higher discount level and then cancel One of the contracts. I am still surprised they will not do it for you, because this would seem to be a pretty rare case

New member minimum was lowered in March to 100, but only for purchasing and not membership extras.

The membership extras program requires 150 which is why I think guides make sure to explain that point.

So, you can buy with only 100 but can’t get the extras without hitting 150.

My 2¢, 150 is not considered an especially large contract. A 100 point contract doesn’t get much at VGF and 50 is next to useless so I don’t see a huge market for those and you’d be self limiting if you went to sell. If I were buying resale, I’d prefer one closing at 150 with points that I can take a full vacay with that paying premium plus fees on 2 contracts. Yeah, there’s always some looking to add a few points but not as many buyers as those looking for a reasonable in that allows for a full stay every year or two. I personally won’t look at a contract less than 200 for those reasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter