New pool heat policy? ***update see post 549 ****

mrsminniemouse

DIS Veteran
We just got home from 14 nights in a one bed at SSR. We were in the Springs section and had a great time on the whole. We struggled with the AC in the room though. During the night we would wake up feeling awful as it was so stuffy in the room, totally airless. I think it was because the AC cut off in the night. We tried to override the AC controls as I had read here but it did not seem to help. We live in England and are not used to AC but we have never encountered this problem before, we were glad to get home and sleep in a room with an open window! We kept waking up feeling hungover - woolly head, dry mouth...yuck.

The pool was the really annoying issue for us. DD2.5 loves to swim and being pregnant I was looking forward to relaxing in the pool. However, the main pool was freezing cold. I could not bear to get in. DD would cry and shiver as she got in but wanted to get in so badly she would suffer it. Of course, you got used to it after a while but it was not pleasant. The pool had lots of people sitting around it but not getting in. You could actually watch people dip their toes in the zero entry part, pull a face, shake their heads and walk away. I heard several mums say to their kids they wouldn't get in with them as it was too cold.

I complained to two lifeguards who were vague about it and said it was heated. A front desk CM and another guest told me WDW have a new policy, across property that pools are now heated to a lower temp than the old 82 degrees ( or whatever it was) as a cost cutting measure. I have no idea if this is true but it was very cold. In the past I have swum in WDW resort pools in December and found it ok. This was horrible. Anyone know anything about this? Sorry if I am repeating another thread, haven't had time to catch up yet.

I loved SSR last time we visited (Sept 04) but these issues (AC and pool heat) took the shine off a bit this time. I was so disappointed with the pool situation, it is freezing here in England and I so wanted to splash about in the pool but I just could not face it. Please dont think I am whingeing, lots and lots of people were complaining about this. Maybe in the summer it wont matter so much but in Feb you need a good level of pool heat. I understand it is good for the environment and cost saving to lower the heat, but to make it unbearably cold seems unacceptable. I feel quite annoyed and cheated about it.

Interested to hear other peoples experiences and views,
Mandy :sunny:

In February the pool temperature at the BWV quiet pool was noticeably cooler than it had ever had been in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if they had uniformly changed the temperatures.

HBC

I hope not, that was one of the great things about WDW.

We were at WL in Feb - and so looking forward to a warm pool. There was no way the temp was over 80...it was too cold for me and my youngest shivered constantly. I asked the lifeguard at the time and she said the heat was on but she wasn't sure the temp it was set at. Obviously they've made a quiet adjustment in the hopes noone will notice and they can save some money. "It's too cold to swim, let's go spend some money at the parks!"

The best way to respond to a "quiet adjustment" that reduces the value of our vacation purchase is to respond non-quietly. If this inconvenienced or disappointed you, let member services know in writing and by e-mail. For every letter they receive, they should assume that another 10 or so families were annoyed but did not write, so it doesn't take that many letters to make an impression.

That cuts both ways. If so few guests make note of it then that projects the message quite clearly that the decision (assuming there was one) was a good decision.

:sunny: Last month when we were at BWV, the Luna Park pool was nice and warm, so no skimping there apparently.

It could have been that the pool heater was just getting repaired. I can't imagine all of us DVC members putting up with frigid pools at our beloved DVC resorts. Perhaps this needs to be brought up with Jim Lewis and the rest of DVC management's team. A letter to management and a well-placed question at the annual meeting (unfortunately not until next December) should take care of things. I for one would pay a little more in my dues to keep the pools in swimming condition.

Then again, water temperature is a subjective thing. As I am from the State of Maine, swimming weather is any time the pond ain't frozen. :teeth: Most normal people require a little more warmth before they go swimming.

Others have reported this lately too.

We were at SSR in January (NYE) and I believe the pool temp was 84 degrees. We swam every day and most nights. After our return, I started reading reports of WDW lowering pool temps across the board.

We plan our 2 week visit every Christmas and NYE mainly because of the heated pools because my boys love to swim. We rarely visit the parks because they are so crowded. We pay prime points to stay during this time, but again, being able to swim, made it worth it to us.

It is something I will definitely address and will support by paying my fair share. If it were not for the heated pools, we probably would not go to WDW over the holiday break.

If this is true, it will be heartbreaking for us. We loved the warm water. Where can we write and e-mail? We go in October and January. If the water is too cold to swim, DVC will not be valuable to us any longer.

I guess is depends on when you go. We were there last Oct and the water was SO warm that it wasn't refreshing to swim at all. It was hot outside and hot in the water - no relief from the heat at all. But in Feb I can see wanting the water to be warmer than in June.

I wonder what the new temp is?

D4D

Oh, no!! We check into Saratoga Springs on Saturday and we're playing to hang out at the resort a LOT. A cold pool will put a real damper on our trip plans. Maybe this is Disney's way to force more people into the parks. What a real bummer. Now, how do I tell my family - who wanted to stay offsite this trip - that it may be too cold to swim?

We were also at Saratoga over President's week and the main pool as well as the quiet pool were both freezing. I would not go in but my son did. He shivered like crazy until he got used to it. I just couldn't do it! We were also at POP Century for a few days and that pool was just as awful!

The funny thing though was we went over to the Grand Floridian for lunch during our stay and then we walked the grounds. My husband put his hand in the pool over by the beach and it was sooo warm! I was so jealous and at the same time it made me disappointed.

I didn't think to complain about it at the time, but I definately will!

We were at the WL in Janaury. Boy was the water cold. DS and DH quickly got out of the pool and went over to the hot tub. Granted, it was a very cold few days when we were there.

We were at the Beach Club Villas in January and Stormalong Bay was FREEZING!!! I thought it was because it was January and it was cooler outside. Everyone was in the one hot tub that was working (by the kiddie section), the two others weren't open. The hot tub was so crowded people were taking turns. At one point I counted 14 people in one tiny hot tub and no one in the pool! Then we just got back Saturday from Port Orleans (ran out of DVC points) and the pool there was even worse.

We were at POP the first week of January this year, went down to the bowling pin pool the 2nd day, went back to the room five minutes later freezing my you know what off, very disappointed. I remember the quiet pool at CBR the year before being so warm, I was really disappointed. Hope what I'm reading in this thread isn't true, I'm not a big swimmer, but WDW just isn't the same not being able to enjoy a swim while your there. JMO :sad2:

We just got back Saturday from The Boardwalk villas. They have definately lowered the temperatures at the pools! Its just too cold! Disney does not need to cost cut by making the pools unpleasant!!! :rolleyes2

As I am from the State of Maine, swimming weather is any time the pond ain't frozen. Most normal people require a little more warmth before they go swimming.

Yes -- but-- since you're now 'in excile' -- you've turned into a 'wimp'....comparitively speaking! ;)

We were at VWL in late January and the main pool at WL was wonderful! We didn't try the pool over by the villas. We're planning to go back next January and we will be very disappointed if the pool temperature is too cold for swimming!

So I was planning on getting up quite early to get my swims in at the main pool at OKW next week without having to deal with families and floaters, but maybe I won't have to because it will be too cold for them:) I can hope can't I? Pool temps can be very subjective- I like it cooler to actually swim(coach used to say the best temps were in the mid to upper 70s) but I liked the temps warmer when I was teaching lessons. My old gym kept the pool at 88 stinking degrees for the water aerobics classes and I got sick to my stomach if I tried to swim a hard workout there. If the water temp is too warm to cool your body, you're at risk for hyperthermia.

I stayed at SS last week. Main pool was way too cold. I also saw many people wince as they put their feet in the pool. I heard the pool temp policy was to keep it heated between 78-80 degrees. The weather was in the mid 80's, and a 78 degree pool temp( and that might have been generous) is just not warm enough.

I have a pool at my home and there is a huge difference between 78-80 degrees and 82-84 degrees. 82 degrees has to be the minimum.

I have stayed at many different resorts, and this was by far the coldest water I have encountered at a high-end resort. Disney may try to use conservation or high energy prices as an excuse, but for the retail prices they charge and for the investments people make in the DVC, I think it is unacceptable.

Please let me know who I should contact or write to express my displeasure (Saratoga Springs directly or DVC)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter