New pool heat policy? ***update see post 549 ****

Not sure if this related or not, but I was at the Swan and Dolphin for a conference for about a week a couple weeks ago, and I found the pools there to also be overly cold at times. At least for their large main pool. Granted, it isn't a resort hotel, but perhaps it is indicative of something larger going on.

Hi OP here

Well, it seems lots of people have had the same 'cold water' experience lately. What a shame.

One of the guests at SSR who I spoke to about this told me a friendly lifeguard had told her (off the record) it was a new policy and that she should complain and tell others to do the same. I fully intend to complain, but I am not sure who to write to or call. Any info on who I should contact? I did complain to the lifeguards while in resort but they didn't seem to be able to do anything as it seems to be a WDW wide decision.

Mandy :sunny:

Since the pools were cooler at SAB and Luna Pool,where DVC "shares" the pool with regular Disney hotels, as well as the one at SSR, I'm thinking that the lower temperature may be a new DISNEY policy, not just DVC policy. If that's the case, would complaints by DVC members have any control? Although I wonder if maybe they'd at least get the pools at SSR and OKW (dedicated DVC resorts) to have warmer water. Does this make sense?

Simba's Mom said:
Since the pools were cooler at SAB and Luna Pool,where DVC "shares" the pool with regular Disney hotels, as well as the one at SSR, I'm thinking that the lower temperature may be a new DISNEY policy, not just DVC policy. If that's the case, would complaints by DVC members have any control? Although I wonder if maybe they'd at least get the pools at SSR and OKW (dedicated DVC resorts) to have warmer water. Does this make sense?

I got the impression that the new policy was for ALL WDW resorts, DVC or otherwise. Not sure though...

In February the pools at the Wilderness Lodge were SO COLD! In fact, two nights even the jacuzzis were cold as well. We noticed this problem at both the main and quiet pool. One of my favorite things to do while down there is relax in the jacuzzi at night after a long day in the parks - we didn't even get to do that as much this last trip because the water was too cold. In fact, the jacuzzi at the quiet pool didn't even have the jets on the last 3 nights we were there.

I'm sorry, but don't we pay to operate the pool heater. This WDW policy is not saving Disney any money at a DVC resort, since they just pass along the costs to the members.

A cooler pool may be great for lap swimming, but most guests use the pool for fun and relaxation. A warmer temperture is appropriate.

Find somewhere else to cut waste out of the budget...like charging guests for damage to the units!!

There may be a strong correlation between a high temperature of the water in the pool and the fostering of various pathogens. If it makes the pools safer, then I'm all in favor of making the pools cooler.

Oh ,so now our dues and the room rates of the resorts should go down right? ;) If you go in the winter you should be able to swim. That is just crazy. I am sure that the heating bill goes down in the summer so there should be no reason to skimp. JMHO I'll complain. Disney is usually listens.

:rolleyes: Hi,

See if this works.

This is the email add. I was given for complaints for DVC when I had a problem with room at VWL last year. They said I would get a response back to the email I never did.

member satisfaction:
reply wont let me put in the email addr. So I have put it in the title.

ATT:MEMBER SATISFACTION

;) Try this I was given the following email addr. from DVC customer service.

Address it to :

See email addr. in the title of this post,this reply will not let me put the email address in the context of the message

ATT: MEMBER STAISFACITION

Adding to the timeline here ...

We were at BWV for our annual long January weekend. We go the same weekend every year. The quiet pool by Community Hall was SO COLD!! Our teens were really disappointed as pool time is one of our favorite parts of that weekend.

With energy cost skyrocketing EVERYWHERE I am not surprised if they aren't heating the pools as warmly as they were in the past.

There is no way we can afford to heat our small backyard pool, heat or cool our home and put gas in our cars.

Now.. with that being said.. if members want the pool warmer then Disney should heat them to the desired temp..but it may make our dues go even higher.

I'm not trying to make anyone unhappy.. just being realistic. Heating a swimming pool is VERY expensive and even more so when energy costs keep going up up and up.

This is the main reason we come to Disney so much, to get away from cold CHicago and swim.

Please send your issues / concerns to:

Disney Vacation Club <members@disneyvacationclub.com>

I'm suggesting DVC, because DVC is supposedly very profitable for Disney, and should have some pull.... Also, this issue needs to be addressed because it would effect my decision to purchase.

JMHO,
Goldi

Just back from OKW and we did notice the lower temp in the pool. Granted, the weather was warm, but not hot enough to want such a "refreshing" dip! The funny thing is that the pool was warmer earlier in the week, but as the week went on, it got cooler and cooler. Saw lots of people poke a toe in, then say "no way!"

Sammy

We tried to override the AC controls as I had read here but it did not seem to help. We live in England and are not used to AC but we have never encountered this problem before, we were glad to get home and sleep in a room with an open window! We kept waking up feeling hungover - woolly head, dry mouth...yuck.

We were also there last week. You hit it right on. We felt the same way every morning. I really struggled to open the window, but they are fastened from the outside.

Could someone direct me to the AC override? I had ours set to 65 and it never went below 72. Our only solution was to keep water on the nite stand and pry our super dry mouths open every few hours to wet them down.

Just called OKW, and spoke with staff there (not naming people, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble).....

They told me that upper management has made an initiative to turn all the pools down to 80 degrees for feature pools, 78 degrees for quiet pools, from a previous 84 - 86 degrees, as a cost savings measure.

I was also told, that a study was run, where it was shown how this effected negatively the resort guests, and they are doing it anyway....

The person said that the study was started when they lowered the pool temps, about 2 months ago, around January....

I tried to talk to the OKW manager, and the front desk didn't allow me to.... THey insisted that I talk to DVC member services about this issue.

So please everyone call MS, speak to management, and email your concerns to:

I'm madder than you know what right now... I am taking my parents to OKW, and they dislike Disney... they are only going there for the pool and sun, and now that will be a bust too!!!!

Goldi

isabella65 said:
:rolleyes: Hi,

See if this works.

This is the email add. I was given for complaints for DVC when I had a problem with room at VWL last year. They said I would get a response back to the email I never did.

member satisfaction:
reply wont let me put in the email addr. So I have put it in the title.

ATT:MEMBER SATISFACTION

Thanks for this address, I have just emailed them.

I just emailed MS also. :thumbsup2

For shame!! I knew we really enjoyed the SSR main pool and we left there on January 6, 2006. One of the Rec CM's told me the pool was heated to 84F after I was complimenting about how great and warm the pool was.

I would really hate to cancel our annual Christmas/NYE trips, but the warm pools are 90% of the reason we go during such a high point time. My Ds's love to swim!

and was told initially that no, I can't talk to MS management.... I threw a fit, and said I at least wanted to voice my concerns....

The MS said to write guest services... This isn't a DVC manager.

so please write to both:

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Goldi

I spoke with Jackie at member services, who in my opinion, is great, and told her my concerns....

So at least we have a DVC voice to be our advocate.

Thanks Jackie.

Goldi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter