New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister is at CSR now, and unfortunately, unwell. She had the sign out and told me they called before they came.

That is normal at CSR. As someone who has spent 75+ nights at CSR since 2010 and typically has the DND sign on the door for 60%-70% of the stay, they usually call to see if you want housekeeping. With any luck it will be business as usual at CSR.

"It's their property and they can enter when they want."
Really? 3 AM, 4 AM? When they want?
Without any actual suspicion or cause?

If they really start entering "when they want," it will be a bunch of vacant rooms they will have available to enter.

So sad.
I'm glad many folks aren't just going to lie down like scared sheep when their rights and privacy is violated.

It just occurred to me when reading another thread...since there will be daily security checks, why not make them more productive? Disney has bed bug dogs that inspect rooms when there’s an issue. Wouldn’t it be great if the dogs could do a sweep of the room during the security checks? We will be inconvenienced anyway. It would be nice to know that the room is clear of bed bugs.

"It's their property and they can enter when they want."

If they really start entering "when they want," it will be a bunch of vacant rooms they will have available to enter.

So sad.
I'm glad many folks aren't just going to lie down like scared sheep when their rights and privacy is violated.

Your rights are not being violated if you have to agree with something before purchase. If you don't like the Terms and Conditions that go along with any purchase your have the right then to not make that transaction. You do not have the right to make the transaction and then try to negate the Terms and Conditions you agreed to.

It's their property and they can enter when they want."
Hyperbole much? And reasonable suspicion has been used to enter private homes with hearsay evidence...
However-
1st Disney doesn't have housekeeping 24 hours to just randomly check
2nd disney isn't beefing up security staff to do 3 am random checks nor are the resort managers eager to work 24/7 to disturb you.
3rd-the resorts require a band or card to enter or a stop at security gate. Really a thief or scammer is going to take the trouble to bypass all that when there are much easier targets??

My daughter worked during the prep to Hurricane Irma-this is a situation where every room was REQUIRED to have information out regardless of the sign on the door. period & no exceptions!

What the CMs are supposed to do-knock and announce 3 times prior to entering. If there was a DND/or room occupied sign then they still had to knock-although she learned quickly to knock softly and listen for sounds in the room. Often she was able to wait until someone opened the door and able to NOT disturb a sleeping child (or disturb a dog or cat!) BUT the info on the hurricane had to be left in a guests hand or on every room bed.

For the security checks it often works same way-they are on radios and a "check in" service where if a Housekeeper can't get into a room on their shift it is marked that way. Next shift checks to see if can get in room-if by end of that shift it is still marked DND or unable to get to then a manager/coordinator is notified. If this isn't rectified within a certain amount of time then it escalates through management with last step being the manager of the resort. Oh-and this system lets the coordinators know where the CM on that resort is at most times (I say most because there were a couple times my DD had to take longer than usual to clean up a bio event-after her coordinator and manager got notified she was told to sign off for a while so the resort manager doesn't get beeped-blood on a bathroom wall is harder to clean apparently-she was custodial BTW). She did help housekeeping out on occasion as a "runner" for extra towels etc-again if the guest isn't marked off as completed on that task/request within a certain time frame (think she said 15 minutes) then the request escalates up through chain of command. They can also see if the guest has to request a second time for that service (so no, can't just mark off towels provided if they haven't been-if the guest call again shortly with same request then the coordinator is likely to investigate).

This is the way it is supposed to work, but as with any human endeavor there will be errors and kinks to work out. Disney also has a habit of rushing policies into place prior to alerting managers and staff as to protocol lately-frustration on guests side and staff side for sure.
Also realize the housekeepers have a strict schedule and time allotment to clean all rooms. So if they know you are checking out they will try to get to those rooms quickly (to get it ready for all the guests requesting early check in/room location requests/extra cleaning etc). I don't mind the knock as we can let housekeeping know the approximate time we will be gone so they can plan their day. Having worked in service industries for years I have a lot of empathy for these staff.

Wondering if entering your room without your consent is even legal? Found the below online:

In the USA law, respect for guest room privacy means (Jeff eries, 1983, 13): 1) guest’s peaceful possession of the room, 2) not allowing unregistered and unauthor- 702 Oliver Radolović ized third parties to gain access to his room and 3) entrance to the guest room only for routine housekeeping and in the case of an emergency. Hotel-keeper may enter a guest room only when it is necessary or proper (DeWolf vs. Ford, 1908, 193 NY 397), with “reasonable attention” (Sherry, 1993, 197).

"Hyperbole much?"
I suppose you haven't bothered to read the horror stories from recent guests.

"The resorts require a band or card to enter or a stop at security gate."
Um, no, it is quite easy to get around if desired. Are you saying Disney security is 100% effective? LOL!

Oh, and citing an instance DURING A HURRICANE as a reason?... Give me a break.

"Hyperbole much?"
I suppose you haven't bothered to read the horror stories from recent guests.

"The resorts require a band or card to enter or a stop at security gate."
Um, no, it is quite easy to get around if desired. Are you saying Disney security is 100% effective? LOL!

This is what stood out to me, and is the basic issue at the core of this. Regularly, including trip last week, pizza flyers stuck under my door meaning something went right through security, parked, walked along using stairs and elevators (we were 2nd floor) with piles of flyers sticking them under the doors. No one stopped them.

As I've said before, I myself followed two men who went from door to door knocking, hesitating and then jiggling handles trying to push in. It wasn't until I got close enough, took their photo and they saw me they took off running.

Your rights are not being violated if you have to agree with something before purchase. If you don't like the Terms and Conditions that go along with any purchase your have the right then to not make that transaction. You do not have the right to make the transaction and then try to negate the Terms and Conditions you agreed to.
And that’s what ppl will do if they continue to make these checks invasive. They are still a competitive business. If they competition offers better accommodations, ppl will start choosing that.

My daughter worked during the prep to Hurricane Irma-this is a situation where every room was REQUIRED to have information out regardless of the sign on the door. period & no exceptions!
Are you talking about placing information in the rooms regarding things (like park hours and resort food service and instructions) impacted during the hurricane?

I do agree with another poster it's not exactly the best example.

We checked in on September 8th so it was on our table and as we were checking in that day we didn't get impacted by an interruption but:

1) It was just papers that they could have slide under the door if they wanted to

2) They honored our DND sign on Saturday the 9th and gave us this to prepare for the hurricane was to do this:
upload_2018-2-3_22-56-39.png It contained extra towels, toiletries, etc (and what appears to have been what they would do should someone have their DND up when they were coming around with extra items).

3) There was NO housekeeping Sunday (10th) and Monday (11th)--now granted this is a big big lofty hypothetical IF but during that time no one was looking in the rooms. Because of that someone if they were so inclined to could choose to do something bad during that time period. But theoretically if we were to look at Irma with the new policy that means we would have had a security check (or chosen to have down housekeeping) on Saturday the 9th (instead of using our DND sign up) but no one would have seen the room until Tuesday the 12th. They also had ride it out crews so I'm guessing they had less than normal numbers of employees on-site during the actual event and boy oh boy is that a lot of rooms to check with a less than normal numbers of people if they were forcing a security check on folks plus a hurricane headed for them.

4) Which brings me to my last point. To me a hurricane is not a good example because I can't imagine people doing security checks during natural disasters when they've been advised to seek shelter or are under a curfew that Disney also abides (as there was a curfew in place from I think 6pm Sunday to 7pm Monday..can't exactly remember the hours off the top of my head). So while you say they had to get into the rooms no exceptions period it's not really going to work during an actual incident of a hurricane thus leaving the room without a security check for X amount of time.

*All depends on how long the hurricane impacts WDW and if they do do security checks when a hurricane is breathing down Orlando's neck well then all bets are off as that would mean Disney is a bit crazy in my mind lol.

Wondering if entering your room without your consent is even legal? Found the below online:

In the USA law, respect for guest room privacy means (Jeff eries, 1983, 13): 1) guest’s peaceful possession of the room, 2) not allowing unregistered and unauthor- 702 Oliver Radolović ized third parties to gain access to his room and 3) entrance to the guest room only for routine housekeeping and in the case of an emergency. Hotel-keeper may enter a guest room only when it is necessary or proper (DeWolf vs. Ford, 1908, 193 NY 397), with “reasonable attention” (Sherry, 1993, 197).

You have to consent to it now when you make your reservation. If you don't consent you are free to stay elsewhere.

Definitely WDW is entitled to check the room whenever they want but really they're still in a service industry --- so it is in their interest to do it in a way that doesn't impact the overall guest experience.

They ask me at online check-in what options I want in my room.. full balcony, close to elevator, etc.... --- perhaps they could add another question.... "When do you prefer that we clean/visit your room?" While it may require them to change how they schedule their housekeeping visits it may also allow them to schedule their housekeeping resources more effectively. Yeah... I get they won't guarantee this based on room availability but at least they'd understand how their guests plan to use their room and they could try to take that into consideration to minimize disturbing guests in the use of their room.

Disney has big data about all its guests --- where we've stayed for the past 15 years, who is in our party, where/what we eat, which parks we go to, which rides we like (FP+), when we enter parking lots, what we buy in shops, and now when we enter/leave our room, etc.... they should be using that data to target where these checks will be most effective and least intrusive.

The thing I find sort of funny is that at least 2 of their recent changes (giving gift cards for skipping housekeeping and having unattended, loose dogs in rooms) seem to work against the objective of someone visiting the room each day.

Last edited:
There probably is more to it than they are telling us. Not sure why he acts so surprised.

Definitely agree --- big data influences the decisions of businesses/government (around security, marketing, etc...) and I'm guessing the random guest search wasn't what uncovered this..... Likely someone set up alerts on their accounts and flagged that the purchase weren't legit and then they traced from there (i.e. dumb criminal attached their name/booking to a fraudulent card) or big data decided that the cardholder wouldn't have made the purchase they did which caused either WDW, the US gov't, card provider, or some observant witness (be it WDW housekeeping, CM in the store, or external entity) to act. The likelihood that a random room check uncovered this is remote. If I were a cynic (which I am) I'm guessing that the room search was a convenience to validating the crime but not the identifier of the crime.

Last edited:
I'm not certain who WDW hires as housekeepers but many places I have stayed they are rarely fluent in English.
That said, is Disney actually relying on them to play hotel detective along with their other responsibilities?
I hope they get a raise!

There probably is more to it than they are telling us. Not sure why he acts so surprised.
Yeah..it's more than spending $$$$ and their length of stay..those two pieces of information by themselves would not elicit a room check such that they did.

Maybe employees at DS noticed certain behaviors when he was checking out at the store or noticed something about the methods of payment, etc. Could have been it caused Security to look further into the purchases and it went from there.

It wasn’t just the money. The money problem set off a red flag and they looked more at the person the transaction and ths card and something didn’t add up. Could have got the bank involved too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter