New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We stayed at Coronado end of January 2018, and we did not have a DND sign for the door. We looked for it during check-in since we didn't get to the room until 1 AM. Now the room next to us did have a DND sign and had it hanging on their door for our whole trip (3 nights).

Definitely let them know how you feel about the daily room checks. But don't book and then be obnoxious to the person checking your room. They are doing their job. If you have a complaint, let management know and let the company know. But don't book a room knowing about the room checks and be surly and rude to the person knocking on your door.

Definitely let them know how you feel about the daily room checks. But don't book and then be obnoxious to the person checking your room. They are doing their job. If you have a complaint, let management know and let the company know. But don't book a room knowing about the room checks and be surly and rude to the person knocking on your door.
I am an educator who deals very professionally with challenging students and parents. I teach my students good manners in my daily routine. Not to mention, my mother raised me to have respect for others. I would never be “surly” (great word!) or “rude” especially toward someone doing his/her job and following supervisor’s orders.
I have enough class to get my point across without being “obnoxious.”

Don’t worry. I’ve got this.

I am an educator who deals very professionally with challenging students and parents. I teach my students good manners in my daily routine. Not to mention, my mother raised me to have respect for others. I would never be “surly” (great word!) or “rude” especially toward someone doing his/her job and following supervisor’s orders.
I have enough class to get my point across without being “obnoxious.”

Don’t worry. I’ve got this.

I wasn't meaning you in particular. It was a general comment. Sorry that you thought it was directed at you. There have been many posters coming up with ways to get at the person doing the room check. From having a baseball bat to being naked, some seem to seek to cause a confrontation.

I tend to be surly when woken up before I want to be but I agree that it's not the fault of the CM. They do take the brunt of the complaints though. It unfortunately comes with the territory.

I recently went on a bday trip elsewhere (I know *gasp*) and noticed we did not have a do not disturb sign. I was going to ask, but didn’t bother. We were in and out of the hotel throughout the day. The kids left their electronics in the room on the table. Everything was cool. The housekeeping came in once that weekend, when we were gone.

Now saying that, I doubt Disney is going to bust up in your room, swat team style at 5 am or midnight when you are nackie or wearing pjs. I doubt they are going to frisk you and then interrogate you, for just being a resort goer.

I’m just happy they want to be proactive. I hate mousekeeping (well not hate, more of don’t like being disturbed) as much as the next guy, but I’m not letting it get to me. Safety first. I have nothing to hide and don’t mind a visit, with or without me being there.

I feel like they will come descent hours and I’d rather be safe than sorry. I just don’t seeing it a big deal. If you have stuff your afraid will get stolen, don’t bring it or hide it better. If your scared because your alone, tell them you will call front desk to make sure they are who they say they are. Or invest in mace. Just my two cents.

"I have nothing to hide."
Neither do I or likely anyone on these boards.
That said, I don't appreciate the cloud of suspicion that is resonating with daily room searches.
Yes, searches. The maids are basically asked to spy on you along with hotel security.

You know that feeling when you have to wake up early and you don't sleep right because you fear missing the alarm clock?
This is the same feeling.
Can I put the kids down for a nap, be intimate, take a shower?
No the cloud of suspicion is darkness hanging over you in your overpriced hotel room.
During your vacation to boot, it is a sinister development indeed.
People go on vacation are tired of bosses looking over their shoulder only to have Disney do it too?
Ridiculous.

I recently went on a bday trip elsewhere (I know *gasp*) and noticed we did not have a do not disturb sign. I was going to ask, but didn’t bother. We were in and out of the hotel throughout the day. The kids left their electronics in the room on the table. Everything was cool. The housekeeping came in once that weekend, when we were gone.

Now saying that, I doubt Disney is going to bust up in your room, swat team style at 5 am or midnight when you are nackie or wearing pjs. I doubt they are going to frisk you and then interrogate you, for just being a resort goer.

I’m just happy they want to be proactive. I hate mousekeeping (well not hate, more of don’t like being disturbed) as much as the next guy, but I’m not letting it get to me. Safety first. I have nothing to hide and don’t mind a visit, with or without me being there.

I feel like they will come descent hours and I’d rather be safe than sorry. I just don’t seeing it a big deal. If you have stuff your afraid will get stolen, don’t bring it or hide it better. If your scared because your alone, tell them you will call front desk to make sure they are who they say they are. Or invest in mace. Just my two cents.
Agreed. I don't get what the big deal is either. There are things in life to get worked up over, and this is definitely not one of them for me. There have been several reports out there of people not even noticing anything different. And I find that there are many people making a huge deal out of this who haven't even been there to experience it for themselves yet. Pretty strange to me, at least I get a good chuckle out of it.
If it bothers you that much, stay offsite. I have zero issue with it, so more room for me!

We stayed 1 night at ASMU. I couldn't find a DND sign or an Off to Neverland sign but it didn't matter anyhow because we got in late and left early.

At AKL we had an Off to Neverland and I had it on the door when we were in the room. We were never disturbed.

Now we're at POFQ and there isn't a DND sign or an Off to Neverland sign. This morning at about 9:10 I woke up to some very light and quick tapping followed immediately by our door being opened. They couldn't get in, they tried, but I had used the latch/arm thing (I can't remember what it's called). That any of us heard, nobody announced themselves.

In all honesty, it gave me a quick scare. We had been out until midnight so we were tired and still sleeping. I don't know who it was for certain because by the time I could find my glasses and look out the curtain there was no one there. I thought maybe housekeeping but there weren't any carts up there and they usually annohnce themselves.

"more room for me."
Hmmm, methinks less folks staying on property might lead to higher prices...

BRILLIANT!

"I have nothing to hide."
Neither do I or likely anyone on these boards.
That said, I don't appreciate the cloud of suspicion that is resonating with daily room searches.
Yes, searches. The maids are basically asked to spy on you along with hotel security.

You know that feeling when you have to wake up early and you don't sleep right because you fear missing the alarm clock?
This is the same feeling.
Can I put the kids down for a nap, be intimate, take a shower?
No the cloud of suspicion is darkness hanging over you in your overpriced hotel room.
During your vacation to boot, it is a sinister development indeed.
People go on vacation are tired of bosses looking over their shoulder only to have Disney do it too?
Ridiculous.

I very much get this and appreciate it and agree with it

I do hope though that this is something that settles down over time and largely becomes not a big deal and Disney works out the kinks so that they can do what they feel they have to do without negatively impacting guests - and that guests adapt and adjust as well

I keep thinking that disney must see some benefit in doing this as it costs them money to have these checks done (and at the same time the are offering gift cards for those ending down housekeeping). Now the reason they are doing it might be their insurance company meant is making them or something like that, but I just can't see Disney doing something costs them money and at the very least may upset guests for no good reason

Ultimately it makes sense for WDW to find a way to make this work for everyone. It really seems at cross purposes that I can throw up a "my dogs are in the room" sign and they'll work around me or "no need for housekeeping and we'll give you a credit" --- but they really want to check every room every day.

As with many of the recent changes at WDW it seems the implementation of this policy has been made without really thinking about how it impacts all its guests.... I'm thinking that park commandos won't care about this one whit.... they're at the parks all day and not in their rooms. For those that aren't park commandos this presents more of a challenge --- if you have kids that nap, or spend a resort day for longer trips (VERY common for us international guests since we tend to stay longer), or if someone winds up going back to the room if they're not feeling well, needs to work remotely from their room or wants to check in on their dog --- the implementation of the policy (not the policy itself) presents challenges. We have a DS11 who wants to be able to relax in the room and read his book while we go to pick up food from the marketplace or stop at the gift shop. We will not be okay with that as we can't be sure that there won't be some security person come and demand they be let in when we're not there --- which we're totally not comfortable with.

There are ways to do this that would allow WDW to check the rooms without inconveniencing guests... they just have to take the time and spend some effort/$'s to make it work. Allow me as guest to tell you when the best time for housekeeping/security check is and you can come in the room with no problem. For a company that manages room ressies at a year and a half out, dining at 180 days, fast passes at 60 days, multiple special events, room requests all through MDE it should not be rocket science to figure this out. In a lot of ways to me this doesn't break down as stubborn guests versus WDW policy --- but more as basic consideration for your paying customers. For WDW --- make it work for your customers and it will make it work for you too...

Last edited:

I don't think there is a correlation to people's concerns and having something to hide and pinpointing that as a reason to shrug it off completely misses people's points. Just my two cents.

Ultimately it makes sense for WDW to find a way to make this work for everyone. It really seems at cross purposes that I can throw up a "my dogs are in the room" sign and they'll work around me or "no need for housekeeping and we'll give you a credit" --- but they really want to check every room every day.

As with many of the recent changes at WDW it seems the implementation of this policy has been made without really thinking about how it impacts all its guests.... I'm thinking that park commandos won't care about this one whit.... they're at the parks all day and not in their rooms. For those that aren't park commandos this presents more of a challenge --- if you have kids that nap, or spend a resort day for longer trips (VERY common for us international guests), or if someone winds up going back to the room if they're not feeling well, needs to work remotely from their room or wants to check in on their dog --- the implementation of the policy (not the policy itself) presents challenges. We have an DS11 who wants to be able to relax in the room and read his book while we go to pick up food from the marketplace or stop at the gift shop. We will not be okay with that as we can't be sure that there won't be some security person come and demand they be let in when we're not there --- which we're totally not comfortable with.

There are ways to do this that would allow WDW to check the rooms without inconveniencing guests... they just have to take the time and spend some effort/$'s to make it work. Allow me as guest to tell you when the best time for housekeeping/security check is and you can come in the room with no problem. For a company that manages room ressies at a year and a half out, dining at 180 days, fast passes at 60 days, multiple special events, room requests all through MDE it should not be rocket science to figure this out. In a lot of ways to me this doesn't break down as stubborn guests versus WDW policy --- but more as basic consideration for your paying customers. For WDW --- make it work for your customers and it will make it work for you too...
OMG YES!!!

Thank you for articulating this so well. It’s very frustrating that some people don’t seem to understand why this policy is irritating to many of us.

You really said it so well.

OMG YES!!!

Thank you for articulating this so well. It’s very frustrating that some people don’t seem to understand why this policy is irritating to many of us.

You really said it so well.

Thanks.... Much appreciated. The notion that only those who have some to hide are affected by the policy is a humongous red-herring. Most guests just want some measure of certainty that WDW will respect their 100% private legitimate use of their room. If they allowed us to set a preferred "housekeeping/security visit" each day in MDE while we're there it would be a total non-issue for us --- it would also likely make their scheduling of housekeeping/security check personnel more efficient.

I also don't have anything to hide. But I do like to be able to wake up on my own, shower and get dressed before I have to open the door for our daily inspection.

Well, not really an inspection. I guess I should say, before I have to open the door so they can drag trash around. Heck, just leave the nasty bag outside of the door. I promise I will drag it around my room and leave it for a later pick up.

I've said much the same in a couple of different threads. I don't know the specific laws, but I find it hard to believe that hotel guests have no legal expectation of privacy at all.

Certainly the hotel operator retains the right to enter the room at any time when necessary, but demanding immediate entry without urgent cause is quite a different thing.

I'm not sure how much leeway Disney itself has, but I do know that there have been court cases where Police searched hotel rooms and those searches were tossed on the basis that a hotel room is while staying there effectively your home. I would think they can come in for housekeeping and such, but I would love to know if they can really come in whenever they please without a reason (e.g. housekeeping, trash pickup, emergency). Now, if they were to see something in plain view while housekeeping/trash pickup...I would imagine you'd be SOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter