News Round Up 2017

Agreed. The architect/designer lived about 10 minutes from me but he passed away in 2015. I always wanted to ask him this question as to "why" but never got a chance. The best explanation I have been able to find is this:

Graves chose a swan and a dolphin on purpose, creating two characters not yet used by Disney. The dolphin was inspired by the work of Italian sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini. An example of these dolphins can be seen at the King Neptune fountain at the Italian pavilion in Epcot. The major difference, however, is the dolphins in Bernini's work all have their mouths curving down as if they are frowning. Michael Eisner, CEO of the Walt Disney Company, insisted the dolphins were not to be displayed this way on Walt Disney property, and so Graves' dolphins have their mouths curving upward to give the impression that they are smiling.
His basic concept for the Dolphin was that it was an island formed by a sudden cataclysmic event—an upheaval by an underwater volcano or earthquake. When the island emerged from under the sea, it lifted dolphins out of the water, and these are the dolphins on the roof. The banana leaves on the side of the building are the tropical plants growing on the island. The mysterious “black box” was never intended for monorail usage; it was the heart of the island, which burst open from the sheer force of the events. Water went spilling down the outside of the building into that “dolphin fillet” [two-dimensional dolphin] pool, and then splashed over to the Swan. The railings and the curving landscape connecting the two hotels indicate waves moving from the Dolphin and splashing up along the side of the Swan. These are the waves that you see on the side of the Swan. Two swans were so entranced by this natural phenomenon that they alighted to watch it up close—and were turned to stone.

Edit: Sorry Rteetz...just saw your comment. Will stop.
Graves also designed the Burbank office building for Disney.

For those that say say DDP price increases are done to match costs...

DDP prices have gone up about 92 % in the last 10 years. (Standard plan was $39 in 2007, currently $75)
Disney food prices have gone up about 40-50 % in that last 10 years. (Example: Crystal Palace was $28 for dinner in 2007, $42.00 in 2017. I will leave those with more time than I to verify this at other locations.)

DDP prices have gone up about 92 % in the last 10 years. (Standard plan was $39 in 2007, currently $75)
Disney food prices have gone up about 40-50 % in that last 10 years. (Example: Crystal Palace was $28 for dinner in 2007, $42.00 in 2017. I will leave those with more time than I to verify this at other locations.)

when the plan first came out it was very good and a good deal as not only was it cheaper but it came with more ... but now they just push it to see what can they get for it that people will still pay for, etc. Tends to be a trend - they start out with something at an affordable price to get you hooked on it and then they jack up the price once they have you

I rode the RC Racer ride in Hong Kong Dinseyland when it was raining and when you zip up the track directly into the rain it really does feel like little bb's peppering you rface
Same kind of thing happened to us on Expedition Everest last August, we pulled out from the loading dock and turned the corner to start up the hill and this downpour started, the whole ride it felt like bb pellets! Luckily it was at night and it cleared out the park so my family (who usually single riders the ride) got to ride 8 times in a row with a walk on! It was amazing considering it is one of my favorite rides!

I agree to a point. At some point these other divisions are a big part of the company and those working for them are also part of Disney under TWDC umbrella.

These names just to name a few should not be Disney Legends due to being part of acquisitions.

Jack Kirby
Stan Lee
Mark Hamill
Carrie Fisher
Susan Lucci
George Bodenheimer
Dick Clark
Steve Jobs
Billy Crystal
John Goodman
Regis Philbin
Jim Henson
The Golden Girls
Barbara Walters
Frank Gifford
The Golden Girls!! I love that show and I have watched my whole life with my Mom! They are legends anyways!

And the avg family's income has not gone up 50%, yet alone 92% in the last 10 years!

Plus the dining plan increase is significantly more IF the loss of tip being excluded is factored in.

The good ole days of dinners being $28.....
THEN lunches went up to $28!
NOW lunches are the same as dinners
--$46,
and breakfast buffets are $35!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter