News Round Up 2017

I certainly don't disagree with the overall thought process/concerns here. I definitely think Disney has become to near-term focused - as as much as I know and accept they need to make the shareholders happy, at the end of the day the DIS stock is a long term play not a growth stock/day trading stock and part of the value is in the name and franchise and loyalty of the customer - and negatively impacting that will negatively impact the stock long term.

The challenge for them in the parks is that one of the biggest complaints is the crowd levels - so how do they address that? Adding in more parts of the day is one way to do that and to provide an experience for those that truly view the crowds as a deterrent. What would you realistically do to address the crowds? And yes, we can say they should have built three more theme parks and starting expanding DHS and EPCOT 20 years ago - but they didn't and we are where we are and they are addressing it now (at least to some extent). What else can they do? Cap the number of people in the park and double the price?

To me the bigger concern is the drop in quality that is already being seen and the potential for it to drop further when you hear about them eliminating staffing, etc. You see things like the monorail failing apart, overflowing trash cans, Traditions being reduced from 3 days to less than 1 - those are more warning signs to me than costs or trying to figure out other ways to make more revenue. I see Disney as a luxury brand and the experience needs to match that. It used to - I know when we went as kids the one thing my mother always commented on was how clean the place was - not sure she would say that anymore. And so now if you have first timers go and they dont' see the "magic" and go back and mention the negative things to their neighbors who were considering a first trip, maybe now they don't take it.

I can concede all your points...though I don't have to because I agree with them.

Here's where I point out the duality of after hours magic.

First - and most importantly - they are during slow times (yes...I know...nothing is as slow as it was 20 years ago...but that's DISNEYs fault...and you should call them on it)

So it's a 10 hour operating day- 9-7...then they "add" 3 hours (which can be 6 if you don't hop that day which is unlikely in the misdirected, disney dominated, travel agent world).

They've added NOTHING. Because the prime comment I see "you can get more done in that 3 hours than the whole day" is not correct.

If the crowd required only a 9-7 day...then it is below the bar. They don't turn down revenue, so limiting the hours indicates there isn't enough being generated to justify the operational cost. Therefore the argument to spend $120 is invalid. If the day was 8-11 and they added 3 hours - then the place was packed and you have a better argument.

The calendars are set to try to accommodate crowds - because happy crowds spend more. Some things have changed - That hasn't.

Let's call this for what it is: people - like we here at the dis - not having the self control to say "no" and further screwing everyone in the process.

If you're a one and doner, and you want to splurge...I don't have a problem with that.

But...Why is the offset pricing targeted specifically at dvc?

Ask yourself...

First, because Florida residents would call BS And they know it.

Second, it's because dvc might bite so they can "go to the parks like their first 20 years - when it didn't suck"

Thinly veiled psychology there...it doesn't take Freud.

That is igers fault! Haven't added to the parks while attendance has gone up like 8 million per year and has promo'ed/couponed the place into oblivion while STILL pricing out much of the core market (the entire us economy is partially to blame for that as well)

UGH! What did Nancy Reagan use to say about cocaine?

I can concede all your points...though I don't have to because I agree with them.

First - and most importantly - they are during slow times (yes...I know...nothing is as slow as it was 20 years ago...but that's DISNEYs fault...and you should call them on it)

So it's a 10 hour operating day- 9-7...then they "add" 3 hours (which can be 6 if you don't hop that day which is unlikely in the misdirected, disney dominated, travel agent world).

They've added NOTHING. Because the prime comment I see "you can get more done in that 3 hours than the whole day" is not correct.

If the crowd required only a 9-7 day...then it is below the bar. They don't turn down revenue, so limiting the hours indicates there isn't enough being generated to justify the operational cost. Therefore the argument to spend $120 is invalid. If the day was 8-11 and they added 3 hours - then the place was packed and you have a better argument.

The calendars are set to try to accommodate crowds - because happy crowds spend more. Some things have changed - That hasn't.

Let's call this for what it is: people - like we here at the dis - not having the self control to say "no" and further screwing everyone in the process.

If you're a one and doner, and you want to splurge...I don't have a problem with that.

But...Why is the offset pricing targeted specifically at dvc?

Ask yourself...

First, because Florida residents would call BS And they know it.

Second, it's because dvc might bite so they can "go to the parks like their first 20 years - when it didn't suck"

Thinly veiled psychology there...it doesn't take Freud.

That is igers fault! Haven't added to the parks while attendance has gone up like 8 million per year and has promo'ed/couponed the place into oblivion while STILL pricing out much of the core market (the entire us economy is partially to blame for that as well)

UGH! What did Nancy Reagan use to say about cocaine?

Your Cocaine comment isn't that far off - though I would compare it more to being a fan of a sports team. For example, I am a Mets fan because i became a fan as a kid and now I am stuck with them - it makes no rational sense to give them any money based on how poor they have been managed and how bad the results have been - but I am a fan and will stick with my team and it is what it is. Remember, "fan" is short for "fanatic"

And it is the same with Disney - we are fans and they already got us. Now, if we go back to my analogy - a very high percentage of people my age or a bit younger that live in my area are Yankee fans vs Met fans because the Yankess had a ton of success in the 90s when those people were in their formative years - The Mets became the popular team for 1 year when they made a run and that added some fans, but now we suck again and are losing those fans

Which is why my point is Disney needs to worry more about the next generation of fans rather than the fans they already have. They could charge as much as an iPhoneX for a dessert party and some people would pay it - but is that going to bring in new fans? Our would providing a superior experience and great customer service and getting people to go back and provide word of mouth for how great the experience was bring more new fans?

As to your point about it being Iger's fault - I don't disagree that he could have done more and put more of a focus on the parks and them being the best they can be and expanding them - he should have done it earlier but he didn't and it is what it is - but they are doing it now so hopefully they have learned and they keep going rather than this just being a one time thing to get to the 50th and then they stop

As to pricing out the core market - to some extent, but the crowds are still there (again, biggest complaints I see are still about crowd levels). You were referencing Nancy Regan, so I will reference Yogi Berra: "Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded!"

But let me ask you on this one:

What do you think would be more likely-
A family plans for an trip due to avatar?
Or a family plans due to toy story?

I'm not saying either is likely...just what is more plausible?
None of the above. I think almost all/any attendance increase would be due to just SOMETHING new.

SWGE will be different, IMO.

?

Please tell me how it is Disney's fault that it is crowded. For making a product that consumers want? If Disney really wanted to control the demand they could spike up the prices and get us back to the crowd days of old, but none of us could afford it then. What is your solution to this problem? 8 more gates to spread the crowds out? Another parks resort in Texas? I'm honestly asking. There are a lot of things I would do differently if I was in charge of the parks, but I don't know how Disney can be at blame for the high crowds. Unless you are making the argument they are at blame for ending the "slow" times by spreading them out. That is true. But is it really bad that instead of summers being absolutely unbearable compared to the rest of the year, now it's about the same regardless of when you go? Disney could control the crowds much easier if they would just raise prices. But to their credit, they instead spent a billion dollars trying to figure out a way to make the experience enjoyable for everyone despite the large crowds. And for the most part it works, even though we may not like it as much as the good ole days.

Where I do agree with you is that it's unacceptable for Disney to cut hours and then sell them back to you. I do not mind it every once and a while, but turning every month into party season needs to stop. I think the after hours events are somewhat of a compromise/solution to the problem that there are no slow times anymore, but Disney does not want to price everyone out to keep those level of crowds. By offering these events, those that can afford it can still experience the crowds that way. I wish they would come up with a better solution and that the Halloween and Christmas parties were only 2 nights instead of 4. I agree they are conditioning us to get used to lower hours and it's important to call them on that. I just don't see how it's their fault we have higher crowds. I also don't fault them for offering exclusive events. They just need to be few and far between, and normal operating hours should not be cut as much or at all.

None of the above. I think almost all/any attendance increase would be due to just SOMETHING new.

SWGE will be different, IMO.

Well that's really the question, isn't it?

And it actually highlights the poor management of wdw over the last 20 years...like a 2 hour wait for mine train and soarin.

We shall see...when avatar was announced the "excuse" for frankly an uninspiring IP (except James Cameron and joe rohde) was "IP doesn't matter"

We're gonna get our answer...

In a couple years MGM will be mobbed out the front gate and it would not shock me at all if AK annual attendance is the same as it was prior to avatar.

Last edited:
Please tell me how it is Disney's fault that it is crowded. For making a product that consumers want? If Disney really wanted to control the demand they could spike up the prices and get us back to the crowd days of old, but none of us could afford it then. What is your solution to this problem? 8 more gates to spread the crowds out? Another parks resort in Texas? I'm honestly asking. There are a lot of things I would do differently if I was in charge of the parks, but I don't know how Disney can be at blame for the high crowds. Unless you are making the argument they are at blame for ending the "slow" times by spreading them out. That is true. But is it really bad that instead of summers being absolutely unbearable compared to the rest of the year, now it's about the same regardless of when you go? Disney could control the crowds much easier if they would just raise prices. But to their credit, they instead spent a billion dollars trying to figure out a way to make the experience enjoyable for everyone despite the large crowds. And for the most part it works, even though we may not like it as much as the good ole days.

Where I do agree with you is that it's unacceptable for Disney to cut hours and then sell them back to you. I do not mind it every once and a while, but turning every month into party season needs to stop. I think the after hours events are somewhat of a compromise/solution to the problem that there are no slow times anymore, but Disney does not want to price everyone out to keep those level of crowds. By offering these events, those that can afford it can still experience the crowds that way. I wish they would come up with a better solution and that the Halloween and Christmas parties were only 2 nights instead of 4. I agree they are conditioning us to get used to lower hours and it's important to call them on that. I just don't see how it's their fault we have higher crowds. I also don't fault them for offering exclusive events. They just need to be few and far between, and normal operating hours should not be cut as much or at all.

They added zero new attractions (about net zero...closed some and maybe added 5 or so total) in a 15 year span while the attendance increased by somewhere around 25%

So the semi flabbergasted "PLEASE tell me how it's disney fault?" Is about as easy to shoot down as blimp...

You don't even have to lead it...

Please...don't tell me you don't think that all original construction, expansions, and replacements were planned and built without using statistical modeling based on attendance forecasts?

It's not like in the 60's they said "well, how much should we build, Roy?"
And Roy said "well, Joe, lets throw a dart at the board and that's the number of rides we'll build"

Magic kingdom was mobbed...is it coincidence that pirates, space, and big thunder opened in 73,75, and 80
Respectively? Huge crowd eaters...

Remember around 95-97 and all
That stuff opened and there was a new gate on deck...and you wondered: "why is this boardwalk/west side/ blizzard so empty?"

Even crazy Michael had a plan...and wasn't that crazy back then.

It's the difference between forward thinking manager and what we have now: Mr. Sitcom.

News

A look at the Toy Story models, piece of the Star Wars model, and Mickey's Runaway Railway concept art

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...-land-and-star-wars-a-galaxys-edge-models.htm

very cool. I must say I think it will have a very cool feel to walking around Toy Story Land with all the theming pieces and then the coaster zipping around and stuff. Too bad the model was behind glass so you can't get all angles of it.

quick question - in the poser/pictures for the Mickey ride it looks like they are working on a ride vehicle that only seats two people. Is that how it is going to be? Just wondering how that will impact total ride capacity (though I guess if they can have a whole bunch of them going at once it can still work ... the Ratatouille and Mystic Manor ride vehicles aren't huge, but they are definitely more than 2 people)

quick question - in the poser/pictures for the Mickey ride it looks like they are working on a ride vehicle that only seats two people. Is that how it is going to be? Just wondering how that will impact total ride capacity (though I guess if they can have a whole bunch of them going at once it can still work ... the Ratatouille and Mystic Manor ride vehicles aren't huge, but they are definitely more than 2 people)
Not sure but I have got to think they will seat more than 2 people.

News

A look at the Toy Story models, piece of the Star Wars model, and Mickey's Runaway Railway concept art

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...-land-and-star-wars-a-galaxys-edge-models.htm

Photos Also at:
PHOTOS: Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway Display Debuts at Walt Disney Presents
http://blogmickey.com/2017/09/photo...-railway-display-debuts-walt-disney-presents/

PHOTOS: Toy Story Land Model Debuts at Walt Disney Presents
http://blogmickey.com/2017/09/photos-toy-story-land-model-debuts-walt-disney-presents/

PHOTO TOUR: “Walt Disney Presents” Historical Displays Now Open
http://blogmickey.com/2017/09/photo-tour-walt-disney-presents-historical-displays-now-open/

My DD and I were given free access to the After Hours event at MK last year (DVC). We arrived right at the opening time, and we rode every single ride that was open at MK that night, including SDMT, before the end of the event. All the rides were walk-on. It was a really great night, but I'm not sure that I would pay $300 for the two of us, or $600 for my family of 4, to do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter