News Round Up 2017

Honestly, when I get a bad room service meal, I send it back. Bluezoo room service is a great perk. I pretty much lived at this particular Embassy Suites in Boca for 6-8 months, and they had a grouper sandwich which I ordered sometimes 4-5 times a week, and I've never had better. Sorry you've apparently had so many bad room service experiences. It is an industry norm for deluxe hotels to offer 24 room service. It'd be disappointing to shell out $500 at the CR and not be able to order some late night munchies.

I'm going to call you danger girl if you're sending room service back late night. Do not order room service after 11:30 pm unless you're in a city known for 24 hour life; NYC, Miami, Vegas, Chicago, LA, SF, etc. I earned a culinary degree and was Hilton Rooms manager for a few years. 85% chance the guy on that overnight shift is the terrible flunky who shows up on time. He doesn't care about your food, he knows he isn't getting fired for anything because no one wants that shift, and he has no supervision. The other 15% are pissed off people pulling their turn covering that guy's day off. If you're returning food late night I don't even want to think about how it was adulterated before it is sent back up to you.

Now I'm really craving a fresh grouper sandwich at some hole in the wall in the Keys.

Last edited:
I'm going to call you danger girl if you're sending room service back late night. Do not order room service after 11:30 pm unless you're in a city known for 24 hour life; NYC, Miami, Chicago, LA, SF, etc. I earned a culinary degree and was Hilton Rooms manager for a few years. 85% chance the guy on that overnight shift is the terrible flunky who shows up on time. He doesn't care about your food, he knows he isn't getting fired for anything because no one wants that shift, and he has no supervision. The other 15% are pissed off people pulling their turn covering that guy's day off. If you're returning food late night I don't even want to think about how it was adulterated before it was sent back up to you.

I've done it exactly twice, and it was way before 11, when the restaurant itself was still up and running, so I'm safe. Both were for the same weird thing that I specifically asked to not be included - mayo, and both came back all safely non-mayoed:) I figure the stuff I order late at night is pre-made and plated even. Dessert, milk, and a cocktail is my usual 2:00am order. I drink the drink first and then move to the dessert and milk. Even I don't think martinis and milk should go together:)

It just seems janky to not offer 24 hour room service in supposed luxury properties.

This is so true. I worked at two luxury hotels. Neither one made money on overnight room service, but it was offered because it was an expectation of our clientele.

One hotel had a full late-night menu that included hot food cooked to order. The other had prepared cold plates that were delivered by the overnight Front Desk clerk. It was stuff like sandwiches, salads, and cold deserts. It wasn't as good as the hot food of my first hotel, but it worked.

Frankly, I think Disney should have gone down that route. Having no food options at a 4-Diamond rated resort hotel is unacceptable.

This is so true. I worked at two luxury hotels. Neither one made money on overnight room service, but it was offered because it was an expectation of our clientele.

One hotel had a full late-night menu that included hot food cooked to order. The other had prepared cold plates that were delivered by the overnight Front Desk clerk. It was stuff like sandwiches, salads, and cold deserts. It wasn't as good as the hot food of my first hotel, but it worked.

Frankly, I think Disney should have gone down that route. Having no food options at a 4-Diamond rated resort hotel is unacceptable.

You're just in the "wrong neighborhood" for that...

They don't have concierge - though they erroneously called it that for decades - the hoax that is "club level" which you pay a lot for...which offers nothing close to an actual collection of concierge services.

And room service is only begrudgingly at all because they operate some convention centers. That's complained about by management constantly...even at their prices.

Why? $10 an hour employees.

They aren't really an effective hotel operator...successful in spite of themselves. Been that way along time...since they became a media conglomerate that is looking at quarterlies.

Bought cash...actually used the disney visa and then wrote a check...

But if I remember correctly, the interest rate wasn't spectacular on financing...disney MUST have rigged where they get a piece.
I tend to think many buying DVC pay cash or do the same thing you did to get credit card perks. It's what we did as well. The financing options were terrible.

I tend to think many buying DVC pay cash or do the same thing you did to get credit card perks. It's what we did as well. The financing options were terrible.

You'd be surprised...

New Jersey has the highest number of "members" per capita...and lots of people I know/encountered have financed.

Paying interest on vacations not yet taken...drives the price up.

I thought financing was sucky but I couldn't remember and didn't want to overstep that.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter