News Round Up 2017

I wish DCA would slow the Pixar roll. I thought World of Color was terrible, so they can make it into Pixar or a flaming pile of dog poop. I wish Disney would blow more stuff up instead of project more.

The rumored cost of Wishes was $40K to $50K a night. I don't think you'll ever see the end of fireworks, and from what I understand HEA isn't really a diminishment of the fireworks, but I'm guessing you will see more and more projections. Light bulbs are fairly cheap, safe, and reusable. Fireworks are none of those things.

I think I said this before back when this whole thing was announced or I just talked to other DISers about it while at the Expo...DCA is a PIXAR park practically. When you are in that park, there are MANY Pixar elements to it. Monsters Inc, Bugs Life, Cars, Toy Story, etc. In my mind, all of these changes are happening for the worst. Lets see...Hollywood area, Buena Vista Street, and Grizzly Peak area will be the only areas of the park without a PIXAR named attached to title of that specific land. In my mind, change the name of the theme park then. It's not California Adventure when you are just changing the park to be IP after IP. Infact, Grizzly Peak has Soarin: AROUND THE WORLD. Not Soarin Over California anymore so you can even argue that area isn't CA themed anymore.

Sorry...rant over.

So, a Pixar World of Color would make me feel better about this than a Pixar Firework Show. :)

Totally agree, when we visit out there when Carsland first opened, I commented "they should change this place to "Pixar's California Adventure". It's funny that they are putting the Pixar fest in DLR, when DCA is about 75% Pixar.

The truth is though, this is all about pushing more people over to DCA. That's why they move Paint the Night over there. Trying to draw people away from an already overcrowded park that will soon have Star Wars dragging even more people in. This "Pixarfest" concept isn't even a draw.

Income disparity is the biggest - in many ways the only - problem in society. It drives all the other smoke and mirrors diversionary problems.

It will continue to be a bigger problem until the public insists on corrective action.

It honestly only takes common sense and a teaspoon of reasoning ability to figure this conclusion out...we're surrounded by it.

yea well, there is also a skill & education disparity. A highly trained person shouldn't make the same as someone who washes cars. And we can't all be highly trained...

I wish DCA would slow the Pixar roll. I thought World of Color was terrible, so they can make it into Pixar or a flaming pile of dog poop. I wish Disney would blow more stuff up instead of project more.

You lost me at "World of Color" is terrible. Unless the only version you saw was the 60th anniversary (with Neil Patrick Harris) - that one was pretty weak.

You lost me at "World of Color" is terrible. Unless the only version you saw was the 60th anniversary (with Neil Patrick Harris) - that one was pretty weak.
To be fair, world of color is setup poorly. It's very hard to get a good view of what is going on without getting one of the reserved prime spots. If you are under 5 ft tall like most children are, it's really hard to see any projections as they are quite low in the field of view. That is the nature of the water projections, they have to be low. Fireworks and projections on building tend to be able to grant a greater field of view.
You could be a million different spots and still get a good show with Wishes. I haven't seen HEA to know if the castle projections are crucial to the full show.

It's some Disney movies projected on water - big whoop. Watched it three times, two with the reserved viewing, and the second time I was literally like "welp, sorry I wasted our time again." The third time it was with a different companion, and yeah, he wanted to go so we did, and he was also not impressed and found it a waste of time. It just doesn't do it for me. Illuminations - now that's an amazing night time spectacular! I sometimes watch it every night of my trips.

It's some Disney movies projected on water - big whoop. Watched it three times, two with the reserved viewing, and the second time I was literally like "welp, sorry I wasted our time again." The third time it was with a different companion, and yeah, he wanted to go so we did, and he was also not impressed and found it a waste of time. It just doesn't do it for me. Illuminations - now that's an amazing night time spectacular! I sometimes watch it every night of my trips.
So I take it you’re not a fan of Happily Ever After then? That’s just projections of Disney movies on a castle with fireworks in the background. I’ve never seen WoC in person but I don’t think it’s terrible.

World of color is good...but it doesn't have particularly good viewing angles...it kinda needs a stadium, which would ruin it

So I take it you’re not a fan of Happily Ever After then? That’s just projections of Disney movies on a castle with fireworks in the background. I’ve never seen WoC in person but I don’t think it’s terrible.

Because of my balance issues, I passed on HEA in the park, it's too crowded, I was solo, and the likelihood of getting knocked down in the mass exit was too big:( Next time though! What I saw from the CR looked nice, so I withhold judgment. Illuminations has so many good spots it's not the huge crush of folks leaving, and honestly, I'm completely happy just watching it over and over.

I know we’ve had this discussion before but Disney movies aren’t just for kids. Some versions of world of color have incorporated other things like Star Wars too.

Best thing about WDW - they have something for everyone, and some of it doesn't appeal, but the overall appeal is certainly still there for me, has been since I was a kid, and I reckon will always be. I love introducing other adults to the parks.

Seriously, I didn't like a lot of kid stuff as a kid, so don't listen to me. My favorite game to play was "meetings" so my opinion can't be trusted:)

To be fair, world of color is setup poorly. It's very hard to get a good view of what is going on without getting one of the reserved prime spots. If you are under 5 ft tall like most children are, it's really hard to see any projections as they are quite low in the field of view. That is the nature of the water projections, they have to be low. Fireworks and projections on building tend to be able to grant a greater field of view.
You could be a million different spots and still get a good show with Wishes. I haven't seen HEA to know if the castle projections are crucial to the full show.

I liked the show well enough - saw the 60th Anniversary one ... but the set up is terrible and is just a logistic nightmare getting out of the area afterward. I know some people go gaga over it but for me with the logistics it is more of a "once and done" for me

Right...so if I bring up the access problem to education due to economics...where back to square again and the same problem remains...

Sorry Lennon, the world doesn't work that way. Even if you "imagine" that everyone had access to a masters degree for free that doesn't change the fact that some jobs require heavy skills and some jobs don't. If every single person in the world suddenly had a double masters degree, it wouldn't change the fact that a service industry would still be required. So even if the person waiting tables hypothetically knows as much about investment as the guy who makes the call to invest 100 million, the actual decision (and therefor the risk) would not always be the same. Jobs that have a direct impact on a companies revenue will always earn more than jobs that maintain. The education simply serves to choose who will fill that job. Maximizing education doesn't change this. It just changes the hiring criteria, as these types of jobs will always be limited. Training a million people in investment economics won't magically create one million jobs in investment.

So why again should the guy who performs services make as much as the guy who makes or breaks an entire portfolio?

The hard truth is some jobs make a huge difference in society while others maintain status quo. Status quo jobs are still very important, and society breaks down without them - but since they don't require skill and don't carry risk, they don't get compensated as much as a career that does impact the stock price. All the education in the world doesn't change that, which is the very reason education has gotten more expensive. The valuable portion of any education is the percentage of your education that differentiates you from most others. If everyone had a free education, then people would stop hiring those folks and instead shift to those with private degrees. If you managed to automate all the service jobs, then there wouldn't be enough high skill jobs to go around, so society just finds the next way to shred the wheat and cherry pick certain prospects.

But hey, lets pretend the notion of everyone having equal access to education works. Hows that going Russia? Oh.... oh... yikes... yea, Nevermind.

I think you are the first person I have seen call WoC terrible. The original and the Christmas versions are my favorite. I didn’t care for the 60th one.

so then are your favorite meetings the ones where they talk about scheduling future meetings? ;)

And roadmaps and when the agenda is followed perfectly.

Conversely, I've never made a plan for WDW (maybe because I grew up with it?). I'm curious how organized I'm going to have to be for SWL. Also, how is TSL going to be tiered? Do we know how that's gonna work?

And roadmaps and when the agenda is followed perfectly.

Conversely, I've never made a plan for WDW (maybe because I grew up with it?). I'm curious how organized I'm going to have to be for SWL. Also, how is TSL going to be tiered? Do we know how that's gonna work?

I can send you the spreadsheets I use for our planning for WDW. It's got multiple tabs, color coded, has hyperlinks ... fun stuff!!! (well, to me, but I am a dork)

We don't know anything about the tiering for the new rides.I suspect the coaster will be tier 1 but the Alien's tier 2 (but they might just make both tier 1 to start with). Then when SWGE opens I bet they redo the whole thing and just make the Star War's rides and the new Mickey ride tier 1's and everything else tier 2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter