News Round Up 2017

Totally agree, when we visit out there when Carsland first opened, I commented "they should change this place to "Pixar's California Adventure". It's funny that they are putting the Pixar fest in DLR, when DCA is about 75% Pixar.
Just a thought...Is Pixar coming out with animated movies faster than Disney? If so, it makes sense that we are seeing the inclusion of Pixar a lot more. I can be wrong by this assumption. I just always feel like I hear of Pixar releasing something when Disney isn’t. I do realize that Disney has released more lately starting with the film that we wish they would just “let it go.”

Totally agree, when we visit out there when Carsland first opened, I commented "they should change this place to "Pixar's California Adventure". It's funny that they are putting the Pixar fest in DLR, when DCA is about 75% Pixar.

The truth is though, this is all about pushing more people over to DCA. That's why they move Paint the Night over there. Trying to draw people away from an already overcrowded park that will soon have Star Wars dragging even more people in. This "Pixarfest" concept isn't even a draw.

I find California adventure to be more enjoyable than Disneyland...

A lot has to do with the crowds and my familiarity with the "better" magic kingdom...but I think It's more than that...

I can send you the spreadsheets I use for our planning for WDW. It's got multiple tabs, color coded, has hyperlinks ... fun stuff!!! (well, to me, but I am a dork)

We don't know anything about the tiering for the new rides.I suspect the coaster will be tier 1 but the Alien's tier 2 (but they might just make both tier 1 to start with). Then when SWGE opens I bet they redo the whole thing and just make the Star War's rides and the new Mickey ride tier 1's and everything else tier 2

I dig that stuff too. I think one thing I love about WDW is that I totally wing it. My last trip was planned like 6 days in advance thereabouts and I even got FOP fp!

With Pandora being outside of the others at AK, I didn't know if they might do "pick 1 TSL, pick 1 tier 1, pick 1 thing you don't care about."

I dig that stuff too. I think one thing I love about WDW is that I totally wing it. My last trip was planned like 6 days in advance thereabouts and I even got FOP fp!

With Pandora being outside of the others at AK, I didn't know if they might do "pick 1 TSL, pick 1 tier 1, pick 1 thing you don't care about."

I'd be up for a winging it trip at some point but we go less than once a year and harder to wing it with a family of 5 and get all you want

Interesting thought to set up 3 tiers vs just 2 - might make things more complicated (I still see a lot of comments on facebook with people not getting the tiering concept) but could work

Sorry Lennon, the world doesn't work that way. Even if you "imagine" that everyone had access to a masters degree for free that doesn't change the fact that some jobs require heavy skills and some jobs don't. If every single person in the world suddenly had a double masters degree, it wouldn't change the fact that a service industry would still be required. So even if the person waiting tables hypothetically knows as much about investment as the guy who makes the call to invest 100 million, the actual decision (and therefor the risk) would not always be the same. Jobs that have a direct impact on a companies revenue will always earn more than jobs that maintain. The education simply serves to choose who will fill that job. Maximizing education doesn't change this. It just changes the hiring criteria, as these types of jobs will always be limited. Training a million people in investment economics won't magically create one million jobs in investment.

So why again should the guy who performs services make as much as the guy who makes or breaks an entire portfolio?

The hard truth is some jobs make a huge difference in society while others maintain status quo. Status quo jobs are still very important, and society breaks down without them - but since they don't require skill and don't carry risk, they don't get compensated as much as a career that does impact the stock price. All the education in the world doesn't change that, which is the very reason education has gotten more expensive. The valuable portion of any education is the percentage of your education that differentiates you from most others. If everyone had a free education, then people would stop hiring those folks and instead shift to those with private degrees. If you managed to automate all the service jobs, then there wouldn't be enough high skill jobs to go around, so society just finds the next way to shred the wheat and cherry pick certain prospects.

But hey, lets pretend the notion of everyone having equal access to education works. Hows that going Russia? Oh.... oh... yikes... yea, Nevermind.

Isn't it Lenin, genius?

...or are we singing strawberry fields?

You are throwing different points at me...I'm not saying we should have communal property and pay...I'm merely stating the obvious take that growing masses of populations with little access to wealth is a growing problem and it affects the whole pyramid...and is incapable of "working itself out" without societal correction of SOME kind. I don't know what that is...but if you end up with 75% below middle class means...you'll know by the torches...
...they won't be interested in talking about currency devaluation or stagflation.

Again...it's really just a decent amount of common sense.

I'd be up for a winging it trip at some point but we go less than once a year and harder to wing it with a family of 5 and get all you want

Interesting thought to set up 3 tiers vs just 2 - might make things more complicated (I still see a lot of comments on facebook with people not getting the tiering concept) but could work

You can't "wing" a place you've been to probably 20 times that changes fairly little?

...you're joking right?

Sorry Lennon, the world doesn't work that way. Even if you "imagine" that everyone had access to a masters degree for free that doesn't change the fact that some jobs require heavy skills and some jobs don't. If every single person in the world suddenly had a double masters degree, it wouldn't change the fact that a service industry would still be required. So even if the person waiting tables hypothetically knows as much about investment as the guy who makes the call to invest 100 million, the actual decision (and therefor the risk) would not always be the same. Jobs that have a direct impact on a companies revenue will always earn more than jobs that maintain. The education simply serves to choose who will fill that job. Maximizing education doesn't change this. It just changes the hiring criteria, as these types of jobs will always be limited. Training a million people in investment economics won't magically create one million jobs in investment.

So why again should the guy who performs services make as much as the guy who makes or breaks an entire portfolio?

The hard truth is some jobs make a huge difference in society while others maintain status quo. Status quo jobs are still very important, and society breaks down without them - but since they don't require skill and don't carry risk, they don't get compensated as much as a career that does impact the stock price. All the education in the world doesn't change that, which is the very reason education has gotten more expensive. The valuable portion of any education is the percentage of your education that differentiates you from most others. If everyone had a free education, then people would stop hiring those folks and instead shift to those with private degrees. If you managed to automate all the service jobs, then there wouldn't be enough high skill jobs to go around, so society just finds the next way to shred the wheat and cherry pick certain prospects.

But hey, lets pretend the notion of everyone having equal access to education works. Hows that going Russia? Oh.... oh... yikes... yea, Nevermind.

I know we've gone way OT, but why do you keep saying they make the same?

Who is advocating that?

I think you may have missed something, somewhere on this thread..

I think it may happen like that, I think it may have to happen with the 3 tiers. Even with TSL's new attractions there's just not a ton to do there. (A couple of adults can knock out cocktails (maybe a couple of rounds), TSMM, TOT, RNRC and ST in a couple of hours and be at Epcot or the pool for an early lunch at RD.) TSL should drive some degree of renewed interest in the park (anyone want to guess if it's as anticipated as Pandora? I, personally, think it has less overall attraction, but will obviously pull in the little kid type families), but I understand that Pandora didn't move the needle the WDW predicted. I have no idea if this will drive so much additional traffic to DHS that the increased capacity will outpace increased crowds.

Sidedbar: do your spreadsheets include were the good drinks are in relation to your touring?

You can't "wing" a place you've been to probably 20 times that changes fairly little?

...you're joking right?

I guess I could, but always something new since we don't go that often and the kids are different ages so always different things to do

And I don't plan out every second of every day or anything - but I like my spreadsheets and it helps set aside what part we will do what day based on projected crowd levels and then plan the places we want to eat around that and get the ADRs set and then get the FPs set around that so we aren't criss-crossing the parks and allow for some down time, etc.

I just hate more than anything doing the whole "what do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to d?" thing - I like having some sort of plan

Actually our last vacation we spent a few days with members of my wife's extended family and she was in charge of those days and the plan was basically no plan and just relax .... and I foudn those to be the most stressful days of our trip!

so no, no I can't "just wing it" :D

I guess I could, but always something new since we don't go that often and the kids are different ages so always different things to do

And I don't plan out every second of every day or anything - but I like my spreadsheets and it helps set aside what part we will do what day based on projected crowd levels and then plan the places we want to eat around that and get the ADRs set and then get the FPs set around that so we aren't criss-crossing the parks and allow for some down time, etc.

I just hate more than anything doing the whole "what do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to d?" thing - I like having some sort of plan

Actually our last vacation we spent a few days with members of my wife's extended family and she was in charge of those days and the plan was basically no plan and just relax .... and I foudn those to be the most stressful days of our trip!

Exactly my thought process.

I think it may happen like that, I think it may have to happen with the 3 tiers. Even with TSL's new attractions there's just not a ton to do there. (A couple of adults can knock out cocktails (maybe a couple of rounds), TSMM, TOT, RNRC and ST in a couple of hours and be at Epcot or the pool for an early lunch at RD.) TSL should drive some degree of renewed interest in the park (anyone want to guess if it's as anticipated as Pandora? I, personally, think it has less overall attraction, but will obviously pull in the little kid type families), but I understand that Pandora didn't move the needle the WDW predicted. I have no idea if this will drive so much additional traffic to DHS that the increased capacity will outpace increased crowds.

I think it is so interesting how people can do WDW so differently. Personally our last trip we spent a full day at DHS and didn't even get to everything we wanted to (never got to RNRC, didn't do either show, etc.) and had a great day! I love all the details of the park - watching the Citizens of Hollywood, walking around (at the time) One Man's Dream, etc. So to us there already is a ton to do there, so we are probably the wrong people to ask

I think Pandora did help spread the crowds a bit and push people to AK more than in the past and Toy Story Land will probably do the same vs increase # number of guests. (though I suppose some have been waiting and now Toy Story Land PLUS Pandora might be enough to get them to come). I think it won't be until Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge that you get that uptick in total number of guests as people will plan a trip just for that ... and it will last a while and then Tron and Guardians and then eventually the 50th celebration will keep them coming.

I have the number of a good doc and prescription for you...
...how much is "not that often"?

Be honest...

Sidedbar: do your spreadsheets include were the good drinks are in relation to your touring?

I just can't imagine it having a huge impact, but people seem pretty excited for it. I'm not really sure why. I'm looking forward to it as it will be something new to do and I think it will be a neat land to look at. But the rides just don't seem like anything special. Mater's was one of the few rides I missed when I was in DCA so maybe I should just trust everyone that the ride system is a lot of fun. But it just didn't look like anything worth doing while I was there. I think there is almost no chance of the Slinky coaster being something anyone other than kids will want to ride more than once. I'm honestly more excited for the gondolas than Toy Story.

I'm playing catch up on my reading so I'm a bit late seeing this. A couple of weeks ago I was flying from LA to Las Vegas after MHP at DL. I had my bag of candy in my carryon (that's all I had) First I was flagged and couldn't do TSA precheck (I have a Nexus card as a Canadian) then my carryon was flagged for further inspection because my candy (specifically chocolate bars) scanned as explosives! Fortunately someone who knew what they were doing intervened and told the person I was dealing with it was ok to let me go. This of course begs the question, does explosives scan as candy?:confused3

Chocolate has a radiographic signature that is pretty close to some plastic explosives. Depending on the type of bag check that is being applied, chocolate bars could easily be mistaken for, or be used to camouflage, dangerous materials.

I just can't imagine it having a huge impact, but people seem pretty excited for it. I'm not really sure why. I'm looking forward to it as it will be something new to do and I think it will be a neat land to look at. But the rides just don't seem like anything special. Mater's was one of the few rides I missed when I was in DCA so maybe I should just trust everyone that the ride system is a lot of fun. But it just didn't look like anything worth doing while I was there. I think there is almost no chance of the Slinky coaster being something anyone other than kids will want to ride more than once. I'm honestly more excited for the gondolas than Toy Story.

...I think you nailed it.

...but we're in the land of disboardia...not the real world. And here everyone whips themselves up about everything, predeclaring it "great"...when in reality it's just "something"...that's happened a lot in the reign of Bob.

So the spreadsheets would include where we want to eat and if there was a specific spot we want to stop for a drink would be in there too ... so definitely won't include everywhere we ultimately will stop as at times we will just *need* a drink and then look up what is close - but if there are specific places we want to hit (such as last trip the Nomad Lounge) it would be in there

I think it is so interesting how people can do WDW so differently. Personally our last trip we spent a full day at DHS and didn't even get to everything we wanted to (never got to RNRC, didn't do either show, etc.) and had a great day! I love all the details of the park - watching the Citizens of Hollywood, walking around (at the time) One Man's Dream, etc. So to us there already is a ton to do there, so we are probably the wrong people to ask

I think Pandora did help spread the crowds a bit and push people to AK more than in the past and Toy Story Land will probably do the same vs increase # number of guests. (though I suppose some have been waiting and now Toy Story Land PLUS Pandora might be enough to get them to come). I think it won't be until Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge that you get that uptick in total number of guests as people will plan a trip just for that ... and it will last a while and then Tron and Guardians and then eventually the 50th celebration will keep them coming.

I like DHS just fine, but it's certainly in transition...this illustrates exactly how folks just "do" WDW differently.

Yeah, I think TSL will spread the herd a bit and that'll be great, just like it was for AK. That park needs capacity so badly.

When SWL comes online, I'd say all bets are off. Chaos will reign and WDW will be forced to build more SW attractions and it will be a great time to be alive. Ok, a girl can dream.

Mater's is a pretty fun ride - though had a rather long wait when we were there and not sure it was worth the ~40 min wait

Maybe I am just too optimistic but I think Slinky Dog will be really fun - again, probably worth the wait it will likely have when it first opens

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter