News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are the screens on splash? Maybe 5hey do too good of a job blending in but I can’t recall seeing any.
There’s a couple of them that show silhouettes on them, but they’re a very minor portion of the ride.

It’s like SDMT uses the same effect when going up the second lift hill, but I wouldn’t call either screen based rides

I guess it’s a projection then? Not sure either way, but can’t think of any other “screen” type thing on splash mountain
Many things we consider screens are projection such as FoP or Soarin. A shadow/ silhouette could be a lighting effect and not necessarily use a projector. I guess it really depends on how you define it.

There’s a couple of them that show silhouettes on them, but they’re a very minor portion of the ride.

It’s like SDMT uses the same effect when going up the second lift hill, but I wouldn’t call either screen based rides
Got it

Many things we consider screens are projection such as FoP or Soarin. A shadow/ silhouette could be a lighting effect and not necessarily use a projector. I guess it really depends on how you define it.

And so many rides use some sort of projection - Alice in Wonderland in Disneyland, heck, the Pepper’s Ghost effect in Haunted Mansion is image projections - I think big difference between those and Jimmy’s Fallon

And so many rides use some sort of projection - Alice in Wonderland in Disneyland, heck, the Pepper’s Ghost effect in Haunted Mansion is image projections - I think big difference between those and Jimmy’s Fallon

I think your sentence got cut off...but I will finish it for you...is lack of imagination and intrigue. Haunted Mansion's use of projection is unique, imaginative, and intriguing. Even after riding it about a dozen times, I still enjoy that scene. The other thing is it isn't glaringly a projection.

I would agree with this - if it's just a projection - that is not a screen ride. I guess what I am more talking about is a combination screen/simulator. A ride that has motion to it, but instead of having physical sets it instead uses some sort of movie screen to tell the story. A good example of this is the Gringotts ride at Universal. It's truly is a motion "coaster" (not truly a coaster because it never "coasts"), but there are absolutely no physical characters of any sort - the entire story is told through the use of projection screens - even though the ride vehicle moves quite significantly. Disney doesn't really have a lot of rides that incorporate screens yet. Soarin and FOP are both screen rides, but essentially a single giant screen. Star Tours is a screen ride as well, but more a motion simulator in that you don't actually go anywhere and it's just a single screen. TSMM is the only one I can think of at Disney that has a vehicle that moves through space, yet the ride itself is entirely screen-based.

Again when taken individually, many of them are wonderful rides. The problem I found at Universal was that so many of them all at once they got old. (I count eleven right now: Three HP rides, Kong, Spider man, Transformers, Simpsons, Fallon, Despicable Me, Shrek, now F&F.) Disney has I think just the four I mentioned above and probably I would include Mission Space in there as a screen ride. (I don't count movies like Philharmagic /ITTBAB/Muppets 3D as screen rides. They aren't rides as they don't try to simulate motion in any way.)

I would agree with this - if it's just a projection - that is not a screen ride. I guess what I am more talking about is a combination screen/simulator. A ride that has motion to it, but instead of having physical sets it instead uses some sort of movie screen to tell the story. A good example of this is the Gringotts ride at Universal. It's truly is a motion "coaster" (not truly a coaster because it never "coasts"), but there are absolutely no physical characters of any sort - the entire story is told through the use of projection screens - even though the ride vehicle moves quite significantly. Disney doesn't really have a lot of rides that incorporate screens yet. Soarin and FOP are both screen rides, but essentially a single giant screen. Star Tours is a screen ride as well, but more a motion simulator in that you don't actually go anywhere and it's just a single screen. TSMM is the only one I can think of at Disney that has a vehicle that moves through space, yet the ride itself is entirely screen-based.

Again when taken individually, many of them are wonderful rides. The problem I found at Universal was that so many of them all at once they got old. (I count eleven right now: Three HP rides, Kong, Spider man, Transformers, Simpsons, Fallon, Despicable Me, Shrek, now F&F.) Disney has I think just the four I mentioned above and probably I would include Mission Space in there as a screen ride. (I don't count movies like Philharmagic /ITTBAB/Muppets 3D as screen rides. They aren't rides as they don't try to simulate motion in any way.)
This may sound ridiculous but after being “screened” to death we all though the ET ride awesome. It may have been a collective top 5 ride among my family of 4 at Universal. (Mind you this is between me=thrill seeker, wife=hates roller coasters, and 8&4 yr old daughters)

Good to see they did model it off of the kids clubs on the cruise ships which are just amazing. Really hope this takes off and they expand it to additional sites, etc.

Do you know if you have to be an onsite guest to take advantage of this or can anyone use it?

I know we've covered the screen issue plenty, but I'll add my thoughts...

We really enjoy Uni/IOA, but I agree that the screens wear on you after the 5th or 6th one in a row. I'm hoping moving forward they add some rides that don't rely on them so heavily(this is rumored to happen with a JP coaster, and hopefully the new HP ride).

I'll agree with pp who stated that screen rides don't have the same re rideability as the non screen based rides. This has happened for us with FOP. Ridden it about 5 times, and the last time we agreed that the ride had lost a lot of its luster. Same with Soarin for us. However, we've ridden BTMRR, Space, Splash, etc. 50+ times and still can't wait to get back on them. (same with Hulk, Mummy, Doom, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter