News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that too .. but one of our favorite family memories at WDW came from one of these dance parties. When we were at MK with my son in 2015 (3yo at the time) and his cousins we were in Tomorrowland at dusk (avoiding the parade). After a ride on Buzz, the Incredibles Dance party was starting up and the kids wanted to join in and the adults couldn't help but join in too. My son was wearing an Incredibles T-shirt coincidentally and Mr. Incredible himself came up to my son and noticed that. My son was thrilled and danced away. What a great way to end our night -- smiles for all. (and it tuckers out those little kiddos). My son doesn't remember it much, but we have pictures. A great memory and something I would participate in again with preschoolers.

I can totally see that. And I am glad someone enjoys them. I just don't have any kids for myself and I'm such a Gamorra when it comes to dancing (Guardians of the Galaxy reference).

I also like to meet characters, so I always feel a bit sad when they're at a dance party when instead they could be meeting.

Oh I have - seen a lot of his stuff and think he is great - just hard to shake initial / strong mental image some times

Like, not matter how much Broadway and other stuff he does not sure I will see Daniel Radcliffe as anything other than Harry Potter
Interesting. I can't say I relate, but I understand.

Since we don't have a SW Movie thread going at the moment, this touches on Iger's comments the other day and provides the best wrap up I've seen of the real issue. Hint... it's not timing...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidi...s-story-failed/?source=bloomberg#6f9a2b285cf0

I think the author hits on one point, but at the same time he says it is because it was the same old, same old, and relying on the old ... but the people were upset at the Last Jedi because of how much it changed and how it tried to bring a new angle to things

and I also agree timing isn't the only element - but I still think if Solo was to come out this December vs 3 months after The Last Jedi (the most divisive of all the recent movies that upset at least a portion of the fan base) it might perform better than it did

I do think that the fact that the Marvel films tend to have different look and feel of each other helps a lot - and one reason why I think so many people liked Rogue One (not everyone, but I know a lot that did) - because it had a different look and tone than the Force Awakens

I do wish that Star Wars would be allowed to branch out.

Not everything has to be about established characters.

I promise, I will watch a Star Wars movie that doesn't have anything familiar in it, not even lightsabers.

I was with you until that last bit. For me, lightsabers and use of the Force are what make it a Star Wars movie and not just a random action flick set in space, but I would be down for a new Star Wars film with completely new characters.

Rogue One and Solo didn't have lightsabers and they still felt very Star Wars (they mostly didn't have them).

Though I wouldn't mind a movie way in the past explaining the 'wild west' type times when there were many Sith.

I can totally see that. And I am glad someone enjoys them. I just don't have any kids for myself and I'm such a Gamorra when it comes to dancing (Guardians of the Galaxy reference).

I also like to meet characters, so I always feel a bit sad when they're at a dance party when instead they could be meeting.
At DCA this past spring, StarLord and Gamorra hosted a dance party and it was awesome - and she is SOOO good at rolling her eyes. She is my new hero.

Rogue One and Solo didn't have lightsabers and they still felt very Star Wars (they mostly didn't have them).

Though I wouldn't mind a movie way in the past explaining the 'wild west' type times when there were many Sith.

(regarding the bolden part) yeah, it was like they felt the need to include at least a little Lightsaber just so everyone in the theater was sure it was an actual Star Wars film

and I get you - but even if you want to use Lightsabers, set it during the Knights of the Old Repbulic or even during the same time but with zero characters that were in any of the main films and do not have anything to do with main plot points of the main movie

They seem to be able to do that in the books and people still read them

(regarding the bolden part) yeah, it was like they felt the need to include at least a little Lightsaber just so everyone in the theater was sure it was an actual Star Wars film

and I get you - but even if you want to use Lightsabers, set it during the Knights of the Old Repbulic or even during the same time but with zero characters that were in any of the main films and do not have anything to do with main plot points of the main movie

They seem to be able to do that in the books and people still read them

I thought it was actually very necessary in Rogue One. With all the prequels I think Vader kind of lost some of his menace. I'm not sure if that was the intended effect, but the audience really needed a reminder of how terrible and frightening Vader is.

Yeah, KOTR would be fine and people are screaming for it to be done somehow.

I'm glad you amended your statement. I was going to say "Rogue One had the greatest lightsaber scene ever".

It really was the best. One of the times I watched it, the guy in front of me just freaked out.

and Solo had the most unnecessary

I love Darth Maul, I was probably the only person who started hyperventilating at that moment. I was even more excited when I saw in the credits that he was played by both Parks and Witmer. I've collected Darth Maul stuff every since Phantom Menace.

I love Darth Maul, I was probably the only person who started hyperventilating at that moment. I was even more excited when I saw in the credits that he was played by both Parks and Witmer. I've collected Darth Maul stuff every since Phantom Menace.

well, unless you were the guy sitting next to me in the theater when I saw it there were at least two people that hyperventilated at that part ;)

I loved that part and love Darth Maul and am glad he is getting more play in the movies ... just the lighting of the light saber seemed unnecessary

well, unless you were the guy sitting next to me in the theater when I saw it there were at least two people that hyperventilated at that part ;)

I loved that part and love Darth Maul and am glad he is getting more play in the movies ... just the lighting of the light saber seemed unnecessary

yeah that's true, I think they had him ignite it for all the people who would have no idea who it was.

agree - though perhaps is even more evidence that this is really through the summer and then in the fall will be separate promotion for the new EPCOT show, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railroad, Galaxy's Edge, etc.

As the promotion was mostly about the stuff released at start of Jan, I think we will probably get another annual "19 things to do in 2019 at Disney Parks" post that they always release around New Years, hopefully with more details about that stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter