No more Prince or Princesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the parents should be teaching their children that people can never see what you feel inside and mistakes are going to be made like that throughout the rest of their lives.
Which I see as merely a variation of "just get over it."

Not using potentially offensive or distressing forms of address solves the problem.

Are good manners really that difficult to employ? I don't think so.

If your daughter is dressed like a princess, they will call her princess. If she's dressed in street clothes, they won't.
My daughter was called princess by most if not all cast when we went last year and was never dressed like a princess. Are they not allowed to now?

Southern folks are the same way using the terms Miss/Mr followed by a first name to address people. It's just being respectful and there is zero harm in that no matter what the circumstances. Maybe cast members should stick to "hey you" when they address folks to avoid potentially having their lives/careers ruined for innocently trying to be nice. Frankly I am just gonna keep being nice as I know nice to be and if I offend anyone I will continue to be nice and apologize for my "mistake"
There absolutely is harm in this if the person is mis-gendered. The South needs to understand that not everyone identifies as a Ma'am or Mister.

There absolutely is harm in this if the person is mis-gendered. The South needs to understand that not everyone identifies as a Ma'am or Mister.
I live in Georgia. If someone looks like a man, I call him Sir. If they look like a woman, I call her Ma'am. There is zero harm in that. If it's a dude dressed like a lady then I am addressing her the correct way. Same thing if a lady is dressed like a man. It's really not that hard.

If it's a dude dressed like a lady then I am addressing her the correct way.
Wearing clothing attire generally seen as one gender does not mean someone automatically identifies as the opposite gender that they were born with.

As derogatory as you are phrasing things a "dude dressed like a lady" may prefer she or they may prefer he. They may not be in the process of transitioning either and just choosing to express themselves in way they want to.

Wearing clothing attire generally seen as one gender does not mean someone automatically identifies as the opposite gender that they were born with.

As derogatory as you are phrasing things a "dude dressed like a lady" may prefer she or they may prefer he. They may not be in the process of transitioning either and just choosing to express themselves in way they want to.
"Dressed" goes beyond just clothing. It can also. include makeup, jewelry and other things. Most clothing, especially T-shirts are gender neutral.

"Dressed" goes beyond just clothing. It can also. include makeup, jewelry and other things. Most clothing, especially T-shirts are gender neutral.
That does not change what I said. You can wear all of that and not identify as the opposite gender that you were born with. It's not automatic. Some do some don't. Some are in the midst of transitioning and some are just wearing things as an expression of themselves. Our world view these days is understanding people don't always or have to fit into neat boxes.

Well you try to be polite it’s a problem you call people friend, which is gender neutral, you have insane people getting offended lose lose lose.

How about you don’t good looking for affirmation in other peoples greetings and keep it moving.

I understand you mean well by this, but from my understanding of what I've learned from trans friends, what they may 'pass' as it's not generally an indication of how they'd like to be addressed. Someone may not fit into societal norms, but it's not for others to project onto someone a classification. I'm old and have a difficult time remembering to switch pronouns so I've gone with calling everyone folks or other neutral terms. I'd rather generalize than possibly unexpectedly hurt someone's feelings.

Well you try to be polite it’s a problem you call people friend, which is gender neutral, you have insane people getting offended lose lose lose.

How about you don’t good looking for affirmation in other peoples greetings and keep it moving.
I'm sorry it appears you have something you needed to vent about, I hope you can move on now that you've been able to do that :flower3:

Random note - I work with kids and I think the term started in childcare settings. I recall hearing teachers refer to students as friends at least 10 years back, so guessing that now that this generation is growing up, they’re used to hearing the term. My son referred to all people as “friends” when first learning to talk, like random people in the grocery store and such. In kiddie classes, kid’s tv shows, etc., “friends” tends to be the term they use to address the class / audience.
I have young kids and it’s commonplace for everyone to be addressed as “friends” in their school or activity settings. Perhaps it’s a generational or locational thing. I’m so used to hearing it that it doesn’t stand out to me as anything unusual.

I have young kids and it’s commonplace for everyone to be addressed as “friends” in their school or activity settings. Perhaps it’s a generational or locational thing. I’m so used to hearing it that it doesn’t stand out to me as anything unusual.
Mr. Rogers referred to his audience or any guest on his show as 'friend', so this has gone back as far as the 70s.

I live in Georgia. If someone looks like a man, I call him Sir. If they look like a woman, I call her Ma'am. There is zero harm in that. If it's a dude dressed like a lady then I am addressing her the correct way. Same thing if a lady is dressed like a man. It's really not that hard.
There are people who are not "dudes" or "ladies." So yeah, there is harm.

No there is no harm in that at all. People can choose to be offended or they can choose to realize there was no harmful intent and move on. It's not up to the rest of society to determine your self worth.
A lot of people don't intend to be harmful but still are. People can choose to apologize for their actions/words and attempt to avoid the harmful action in the future, or be a jerk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter