No such thing as MEMBER clout

OKWgolfer

Earning My Ears
I have to vent some frustration, so just go with me for a second. We just got back (9/28-10/01) from VWL and I have a need to express some disappointment with what I believe to be a lack of benefits, privileges, and the overall clout that the word, DVC MEMBER, once carried. Over the last few years I have come to feel that being a member no longer carries any special attention from Disney. I honestly have conceded the fact that they now have my money so they no longer see a need to appease my measly concerns. This past weekend I was told that being a MEMBER did not give me any special considerations. At the front desk to check in at VWL, I asked if they had a special check in for DVC MEMBERS and was told that the villas was too small in the number of rooms to warrant its own check in area, minus one of member clout. I also asked about the possibility of changing to a one bedroom from a studio, I was told if I was paying cash they could help me but not on a points basis, minus two for member clout. Once I got to the room I was truly pleased with the beauty of it however it did not take long for my feeling of pleasure to change. I turned on the faucet in the kitchenette area and water went out everywhere, it was busted. I also found out that the bathroom sink would not drain properly and that the balcony door had two busted locks and there was no way to secure the door. After TWO calls to the maintenance desk, someone was sent to fix my problems. As it turned out, they did not have a part to fix the sink that sprayed water and I would have to lift the drain plug on the other since it would not stay up, minus three for member clout. I also found out the member meant nothing when coming through the entry gates and was also told that late check outs are not available for the Villas side but could be accommodated if staying in the regular hotel side, minus four and five for member clout. Well, I guess I have vented enough, I know it does not change anything but I think I feel just a little bit better. Feel free to express your feeling of support, or as some always do, your feeling that I should keep my mouth shut and just feel honored to be a DVCMEMBER.

OKW member since 92

OKWGolfer,

I never have a problem with people expressing their feelings and opinions on this board, and I'm glad you took the time to do so.

Some of the "member clout" issues are small to me, but spraying water, poor draining in sinks, and broken locks are totally unacceptable! :mad:

And for basically a brand new resort!!!!! :eek:

I think it is important that you lodge a written complaint regarding these things. After hearing so many great things about Disney service, this is a rude shock!

Did you talk to anyone in "management" about these maintenance issues?

I do think we are fortunate to be able to own DVC. But I don't think a lack of common courtesy and proper care and maintenance of the property should ever be accepted.

Obviously the maint issues are a problem and should have been addressed. I too hope you spoke to a manager about this. As for lack of late checkout, no special member check in, not being able to upgrade. These are normal items generally addressed by DVC previously. Remember that it's harder and takes longer to clean a 2 BR than a regular hotel room. Since DVC cannot differentiate a 2 BR from a studio, they must treat everyone in the Villas the same. True, it's different than the hotel but that's the way it is. It's this way at OKW and BW as well. I know at OKW they can change you if they have a room. You can even make last minute points reservations by calling the front desk so I suspect you got someone that just didn't know. Not even OKW has a special member checkin any more and the one at BW is frequently closed, or at least it's been so the last 3 times I was there and BW has a lot more DVC rooms than WL.

Why should DVC members have any more "clout" than any of the millions of other customers? Plenty of people come back every year, even if they aren't in DVC.

If you're not getting something that your contract says you should get, then you should be upset. But why expect something that the program doesn't provide? It may seem like cash guests are "treated better" in some areas, but that's part of the deal. They also get "free" daily house-keeping. Does that mean we lack "clout"? No- it's just part of the program.

The maintenance issue is one you have every right to be dissatisfied with. If they could not fix the problem they should have moved you to another room.

Some of your other problems are really in the interest of fairness to all members. If you were looking for an "upgrade" to a one-bedroom without paying the additional points, that is very rare since it is totally unfair to other members who are using their points. The ability to change and pay with points if available seems as if it could have been done. The elimination of late check-outs for members is also in the interest of fairness. Members complain when they cannot be in their rooms by 4:00 p.m. -- the only way to do that for sure is to enforce the check-out policy. Special member check-in is something that was eliminated years ago at OKW and I've never experienced it at BWV either.

I'm not sure what you expected at the entrance gate? Were you expecting a "Welcome Home" or some other service?

Special member check-in at OKW was eliminated when the members outnumbered the cash-paying guests; it really made more sense to just combine everything into a single check-in.

I can kindof understand the argument about no special check-in at VWL, because it's actually a very small development in comparison to OKW or BWV. I anticipate that BCV will be similar to VWL. It might be nice to have though, and you could certainly write to DVC and suggest that as an option - if enough VWL members felt the same way and were willing to pay for it in increased dues, DVC might consider it.

Sorry to hear about your maintenance problems. We've generally had good luck with getting maintenance problems addressed very rapidly when we reported them. I remember when they fist put the new electronic locks in at OKW - they had nothing but problems with them - the OKW maintenance person didn't have the parts he needed to fix our lock, so he scrounged them from the lock of a studio that wasn't currently being used (the parts were due in the next day, and so the studio was expected to be fixed for its anticipated occupants).

Well I got the responses that I was expecting. I can understand from a business stand point why Disney does the things that they do, but from where I stand, an OWNER, I guess I just expect more. I remember when we first joined we felt that we were a privileged group and I guess now we no longer have those feeling. I think one of the problems is that some people are always trying to JUSTIFY why we continue to lose some of the clout that we once had. I do feel as if I’m more that just a cash renter…. I’m an OWNER. Perhaps I have come to expect too much from DVC but I believe that I am not the only one who has these feelings. Yes, I understand what I signed up for but I also understand that I can see cash renters in some cases getting privileges that I don’t get. Don’t get me wrong, I still love DVC and would recommend anyone to buy it, I just don’t have the feeling on privilege, or clout, that I once felt.

They don't allow late check out at any of the DVC resorts, and have not for years. It however still remains at the regular resorts, and who knows why? Except trying to get the units cleaned (there is more cleaning involved even in a studio at DVC).
They don't have special check in at OKW, VWL or Vero, personally, it would be nice at OKW and VWL. Or, at least bring back express check in, that was great!!!! Or....have lines for those not on points and non members.
Maintenance, well, I find NO excuse for that, and would have asked to be moved if they could not repair it.
As to upgrading, cash or points, perhaps they had them released for cash but nothing available for points. But, I would not have stopped with one person. They cannot manufacture something that is not available, however. Member clout should have nothing to do with maintenance issues, all should be treated the same and immediately.
Since it is a mixed resort, I don't expect a "welcome home" any more there than I do at BW. I do, however, really like it at OKW and have come to expect it.
Yes, I do remember very well how it was in the beginning. And, I do really miss it. I miss the social gatherings that they had at Happy Hour at Olivia's. They really "put on the dog" at those, but, also realize just how exp e n s i ve it is and it would be outrageous now.
Oddly enough I do understand what you are saying and in some ways I do agree with you. BUT, what I find it hard to understand is why you are equating these occurances (with the exception of the front desk not making an effort to accomodate your request to upgrade to a one bedroom with points and no welcome home) to a lack of member clout. The late check out(which has the potential of delaying another member who deserves equal treatment to you) is not a new thing and maintenance shoud be addressed the same for anyone.
As to feeling honored to being a DVC member, I could not disagree more. I paid for this and just about anyone can be a member, so, there is no high degree of honor. I do, however, feel really bright to have purchased (as are many who have done the same) early on( or at all) to offset future vacations. We do, btw, still have a lot of priviledges that non members do not have.
I do suggest you write to DVC and express your chagrin, perhaps it can make a difference.
Had to write e x p e n s i v e with spaces as the DIS must think it is a bad word.

We had a very similiar experience with the faucet when we stayed on the 5th floor at VWL back in August. We were told that they were having problems with ALL the kitchen faucets and were going to replace them all. Our's was SO loose I was afraid it was going to fall off! We let maintenance know of this.

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed and felt that members don't have any clout. I, too, felt that way when we stayed at DXL last year on points. no discounts on boat rentals etc. I was told it was not a DVC resort therefore no discounts. Oh well.

Yeah, they do have my money, but....I will return........

OKWgolfer....I think it is the term "clout" that is throwing some folks off. When I re-read your original message, I think the underlying theme is that there is little or no attempt to make you feel "special". Not so much that you should be able to come in and have so many more privileges than the regular resort folks, but that it would be nice if Disney went a little out of their way to make the DVC owner feel appreciated.

Is that close?

If so, I certainly understand your feelings. DVC owners have made a significant investment and no one likes the feeling of "you've got my money and now you don't care". It does seem that Disney could do some nice, inexpensive things. Of course, we do have free valet parking, pool hopping privileges, a crummy admission discount, and some other nice perks.

When some of these "other nice perks" start getting whittled down, I think many feel that it is another example of feeling less than appreciated. True that few of us joined DVC for those little perks, and the loss of them won't make us sell. They just make us feel a little less appreciated.

Frankly, I think Disney is doing themselves a disservice. They are still selling DVC memberships and their list of selling perks keeps going down. But they keep selling anyway. So I'm sure in Disney's corporate mind, no need to spend any more money than necessary.

Sorry this is so long. I do feel for those who express a level of concern with small things and get rolled over by those on the board who think they are just nitpicking. You might have even thought I was one of them based on my initial response.

Oh well.....

Granny, I think you hit the nail on the head. I guess its just the little things tend to add up and before you know it a small item becomes BIG in ones mind. I can understand why they have eliminated much of the perks that we used to have but that does not mean I am happy about it. I am not trying to get anything other than the respect I think we had in the old days. Those of us that joined back in the “three mountain years” remember what it was like and being an OKW member they really spoiled you back before these mixed resorts came along. Oh well, thank you for the post. I’m glad someone else can see where I am coming from.

I was a member back in the "three mountains and a boat" days.
And, yes, we were spoiled. And....like all spoiled people, it is difficult to give up those neat things.
Personally, I would like to see DVC totally exclusive to DVC members and their guests, not open to public rental at all.
But, I understand that is not possible. Too bad, though.

I had forgotten about the boat, when we signed on in April of 92 the boat had already sunk off the logo. Thanks for your reply and yes, I AM spoiled. One thing that I have come to enjoy about OKW is that it is a stand-alone member site, not a mixed site like the others. It will be neat to see how the Eagle Pines site turns out. Maybe then we can get back to being spoiled….NOT.

Here's another angle on the loss of clout. During our last trip to WDW, we happened to be at WL one evening for a meal with friends at the Whispering Canyon. After our meal, another couple in our group (who are also DVC members and post quite frequently on the DIS) expressed interest in seeing the model at VWL. Understand it was past the time that the model is open. We walked down to the DVC desk at VWL and asked the DVC sales rep there if we could see the model. She sent us back up to the main lodge to ask at the main desk. So we walked up and asked someone at the main desk. They told us that they were too busy to send someone down to unlock the unit. No big deal for us, but our friends were checking out the next morning and were not going to be able to view the model.

I could not believe that DVC would not bend over backwards to let us get a glimpse of what the rooms at VWL look like. I was not angry, just a bit disappointed at my inability to get "special" treatment.

I guess the honeymoon is over.

People like you (& my aunt) who bought in at the beginning took a chance with a new product. Members were few and had invested a substantial amount of money. They bribed buyers with free passes, etc. They were lucky to have you. You all were Disney's favorite children and were treated as such.

Now DVC sales are selling themselves - a hot commodity. There are lots of members. You are no longer one of the select few; rather, just one of the pack. Disney has proven that they have a great product. Now, they feel that WE are lucky to own. I guess, cash paying guests may now be Disney's favorite children, especially in light of the slumping economy and their need to fill up rooms.

I guess I know where you are coming from. It's not necessarily that you want something for free just some extra TLC for your confidence in their product.

Times have certainly changed....

You spend $ 250,000 on a house and the local bank gives you the mortagage. How special did they make you feel? You spent $ 120,000 at U of Miami for 4 years, How special did they make you feel? You spend $ 30 - 40 K on a new car. How special do they make you feel after the sale. Go grocery shopping and spend $ 120 and have a check out person throw your hand picked fruit down the conveyer belt, that just frosts me.

Unfortunately we live in a society made up some very uncaring people. Witness Sept 11th.

Whether I bought into DVC, bought a car, home, groceries, shopping, whatever it is why can't you get a caring individual on the other side.

I once heard a ski instructor say that he couldn't stand the tourist. How quickly they forget who is paying them!

Ed

OKWGolfer -- I understand what you are saying about not having that special feeling. It did seem that in the early days we were given special consideration all over WDW. I have also had trips where I've felt "neglected" by DVC....but then on another trip things will go smoothly again. Maybe it's a factor of how many times we visit that eventually we hit a tough one. In all my many trips to DVC I've never had any recognition from DVC for a special occasion like you read happens to some people. In fact, the only acknowledgement of my parent's 50th Anniversary was to screw up the V&A reservation ;)

Don't feel personally neglected -- all of us are now part of a much bigger group. Remember when they said there wer 25,000 members how overwhelming that seemed? -- now it's over 60,000 and growing. Hopefully, we can still feel special at OKW from time to time. I will say that I did feel treated like family when they responded to a medical emergency one NYE. I won't go into detail but it actually made up for any past slights during special celebrations.

If you are so unhappy, then sell your membership. You will be delighted to know it is worth more now than when you purchased in 1992. Not to mention 10 years of use for the annual dues. No other timeshare can say that. I say stop whining and sell.

Well I was waiting for someone(nuthut) to respond like that but I think that is part of the problem with Disney, as well as American business as a whole. Service means nothing anymore, we get the same response…if you don’t like it, go somewhere else. Well I think that is a poor excuse and not sound reasoning. Yes I know that DVC is better than other timeshares…that is why I invested in it. I am not blind to the fact of its value but I pity the thought that some Disney rep might think like you…if you don’t like it go somewhere else. Disney service is what brought us to this resort, just because its value has held up is NO reason to abandon service to its customers. I think your response is truly part of the problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter