No such thing as MEMBER clout

I've only been a member for about a year, so I guess I never experienced the "good ol' days." But I have found the service on my two DVC stays to be nothing but excellent. My requests are always answered courteously and promptly. When my daughter had a fever in the middle of the night while we were staying at BWV, the manager opened up the gift shop for me so I could buy what I needed. That was great, but I'm sure it had nothing to do with me being DVC or not-DVC. Disney gives good service, as far as I can tell, to everyone.

I don't feel entitled to anything extra just because I paid for my vacations ahead of time. Everyone at the resort has paid a heck of a lot of money to be there. I can't see any reason why my whims should be more important than those of someone who scraped and saved for years to afford a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

We've been members since way back before Old Key West was called Old Key West. (It was called Disney Vacation Club, because it was the only one.)

I really don't see any changes in service. We were treated well in the mid 1990s. We're still treated well.

I wish I never had to report maintenance problems, but when I do, everthing is taken care of promptly.

I don't expect "free gifts" such as a fruit basket or bottle of champaigne on our anniversary. DVC is not a hotel -- it's a timeshare. A hotel that charges $400 per night has a budget for "free" gifts. At a timeshare, the cost would come out of the operating budget -- which would just raise the annual dues for all owners.

Wait! I take that back! DVC is welcome to give me lots of gifts -- as long as those gifts come out of the marketing budget, not the operating budget.

How do all those little perks get paid for? When I am a cash paying guest, they charge me a bundle to stay in a nice room. When I am staying on points, I get a better room for less money. Does DVC get credit for fiscal responsibility with our money instead of giving it away?

I can understand bad faucets all over the place, because sometimes you get a product submitted that meets all the specifications required, but it still isn't a good product. So the contractor has to go back and fix all the warranty items to make it right. And DVC may have had to pay something towards the replacement.

I usually get a "Welcome Home" when I drive onto the DVC property because I have the DVC license plate on the front of my car.

Some great comments....I think we are all thinking along the same lines (okay, except you nuthut).

My hat is definitely off to those who figured out the magic of DVC in the early years. As mentioned, once the DVC took off, the perks were no longer so necessary. I'm a new member, so I will not miss those since I never had them. All I miss is ALL THOSE YEARS I SHOULDA BEEN A MEMBER!!!!! :tongue:

How was I to know it wasn't just another obnoxious time share?

But what I still can't figure out is why they can't do the little things that cost nothing.

Towncrier....hard to believe the sales rep couldn't find anyone to show you the VWL! It's a different sales world than it used to be.

And Ed T....I believe that we pay top dollar for on site accommodations because Disney has always had the intangibles to make all their guests feel special. They were one of the first companies I can think of that drilled customer satisfaction into the head of every employee from day one.

Gee....I miss the good old days and I wasn't even a member then. And I thought my early vacation planning was a sign of delirium. :crazy:

"Guest" clout should have been enough to get the maintenance issues taken care of. That's unacceptable.

I agree with you and would like to see some more privilidges for DVC owners. But, I know what the rules are and bought anyway because its still worth it. I certainly wouldn't let it dampen my trip. Other than the maintenance issues, it doesn't really sound like there were any surprises. So I would suggest voicing your concern to DVC between trips, while not setting false expectations when you are on your trips. (Not that you asked for any suggestions...;) )

Another way to look at it is that stockholders don't get any special privilidges either...

BTW, I don't quite get the statement others have made about late check-out not being practical because it takes longer to clean DVC rooms. It maybe true that it takes longer, but Mousekeeping also does not have to clean the rooms of all those who are not checking out. (except for trash and towel every 4th day). So it certainly is POSSIBLE to accomodate late checkout. It's just a case of choosing not to. Not saying I want my dues increased to accomodate late checkout, but how about a fee, just like there is a fee for daily Mousekeeping?

I agree with you raidermatt, I also don't see where the late check out would have been a problem, from what I could gather and see they certainly where not full...oh well. I did not let it down the rest of our trip, DW and I have a wonderful time. We were just alittle upset bout the issues I listed in my first post. Another statement that I am tired of hearing is that everything will make our dues go up, that seems to be the first issued response. Thanks everyone for your comments and Yes...I still love my DVC...I just want my cake and DVC.

OKWgolfer

Sorry you had a less than magical trip. I too find it "cold" that there are SO many negative responses to "less than magical" experiences. NO one here is trying to bash DVC or we would have no business here, because we would sell our interests in DVC. I wish people would spread a little more good cheer like "I'm sure your next trip will be better" or "there must have been a black cloud over the pixie dust that week", or "talk about a lemon of a vacation". Come on, let's be a little softer on everyone! If we all bottle up the little things, they become big things. Some of us just need to let out a little steam and I don't think it warrants all these hostile comments.

BTW, in my MANY trips both pre and post DVC I have had both perfect and less than perfect vacations. Disney IS a cut above the rest, and it's audience knows that, and now holds them to that standard. Hence, the disappointment from time to time. Disney, set that standard!

Here's some food for thought.... There has been a lot of talk about buyouts and takeovers of Disney. How is everyone going to feel in that event? What if Disney becomes like a six flags, or worse? We will ALL be wishing for the "old" days.

I agree that routine maintenance and unit problems should be taken care of. The following is more a general issue and not really aimed at this specific topic or set of posts. However, I find it anoying that people who don't understand the product and have unreasonable expectations post and then are surprised that they get negative responses. I hope I post to the facts of the situation rather than attacking the person themselves. Things like they wouldn't let us pool hop, the salesman said we could have 5 in a studio, they promised it would be no problem reserving at the 7 month window, I didn't get my welcome home and so on are petty and demonstrate lock of knowledge of what one owns. I'm all for better DVC benefits and I'm willing to give up some of them if it's what it takes for DVC to be able to negotiate better prices. Don't get me wrong, it's not the post that bothers me, it's the willingness to defend the position when one is obviously in the wrong. BTW, I'm also offended at those that tell others to break the rules, but that's another topic.

I'm reminded of the people that went to Whispering Canyon and were truly upset when the cast there didn't do everything they'd read about On Deb Wills site like gunfights, etc. They didn't realize the list was a compilation of things that had been reported. I'm also reminded of the person that bought a timeshare and were told they'd have no problem exchanging into DVC. As it turns out, this was about the time DVC had changed from RCI to II and it is likely that DVC had already changed over when they bought this RCI resort. These are the type of people who should really be angry about timesharing and deserve our sympathy.

This specific thread had four points. We were invited to agree or disagree. I do understand the overall feeling that DVC member doesn't mean what it once did at WDW and tend to agree with that sentiment. The list of issues and my interpretation of their legitimacy follows.
  1. Plumbing Maintenance issues - very legit
  2. No separate and special check in - unreasonable, especially when they were not that busy.
  3. No late checkout - against policy and also unreasonable.
  4. No ability to upgrade at the desk - VERY unreasonable if they were asking for a free upgrade but mildly reasonable to ask to use points. Unreasonable to expect the resort to be able to do accomodate them at the time of check in.
    [/list=1]

I can disagree with the issues but members should still be able to post. That's how we all learn what's going on.

Well, we bought over a year ago - hubby preached about it for long time before I bit. We've been twice to BWV and both times I've ran into more rude CMs than nice ones (although they are there - you have to look in the cracks and crevices). Example, my first day there - me & 3 kids going up to room after swimming in "Pennywise" pool (anyone get that one?) - I discovered my daughter's card did not work as a "key" (Hubby checked in & didn't tell me the difference) - I went to the desk (soaking wet, 3 kids, cold, wrapped in the wash cloths they call pool towels) and the female CM was just astonished at my stupidity! I got a lecture for approx. 10 minutes at which time I demanded a manager or security to get me in my room. When hubby heard about this he complained to the manager who was polite and promised to "speak to the CM". Had problems with the rude lifeguards at the pool - one who rudely & loudly told my daughters (5 & 8 yrs. old) "it's not the chlorine level, it's the PH!" after he overheard them complain their eyes hurt from the chlorine in the water. DUH - let's explain pool chemicals to the 8 & under crowd. Let's not get into the dirty looks one gets when asking if there's a "DVC Discount" at that establishment. We just stopped asking. There are other examples, but we'll leave it there. Anyway, all you "nuthuts" don't bother telling me to "sell if we don't like it" and all that BS. I've come to realize like other posters have brought up, it's not just WDW, it's an unfortunate reality everywhere in our commercial world. Imcompetence runs rampant and "the customer is always right" policy slipped out the back door faster than the Dotcoms.

Trishy, sorry you had such a time. There's no excuse for being rude, period. I think one of my pet peeves is the "sell if you don't like it" line. I'm more of a "change it from the inside", type of person.

Dean, I agree. Rather than sell and leave DVC. Let's try to effect change. We can all start by treating everyone the way we wish to be treated. Smile at the CMs and treat them the way you expect them to treat you. The Golden Rule can go along ways toward making people react to you in a nice way. Make sure that exceptional service is pointed out to Managers when you see it. Tip housekeepers when they do a good job. As we leave the real world and Head to most wonderful place on earth, lets all try to be more relaxed about things and maybe the CMs will stop running for cover and the way we are treated will improve.:smooth:

Snowgod,
WELL PUT!!!!!! I totally agree and it is the way I behave. I don't get worked up about stuff that has not happened yet and don't feel the need to warn the CM's that this will happen if this happens to me. It is pointless and immediately puts people on the defensive. I have made a lot of CM friends at OKW and it is nice to be welcomed home with a hug and a big smile and the knowledge that you are indeed important to them. :)

True, we should all be nice but should definitely points out real problems so they can be addressed. With that also comes the the responsibility to point out positives as well, which is likely even more important in the long run.

We have been disappointed for years now about the way things turned out. We joined way back when too when being a member meant alot! They were actually glad to help you. I'm sure they had no idea how well this thing would sell. We were told, as many were, that it was an exclusive membership, no other DVC would be built on disney property. Well, next thing we know, they were offering 190 points at a ridiculous price. We bought big time at the beginning, all they would let us buy. Are we sorry? no. Disappointed? Yes. We still look forward to going back every couple of months but we have found we are spending a lot more time cruising than staying at DVC. Why? Because it is just like any other resort.

My parents checked in down there, within the past week, using our points and were treated quite rudely by the person at the front desk. That is inexcusable. I think members should send a message by either trading out or bank their points and not go back for a while. I'm sure though a lot of people think this is the best thing since sliced bread. The way its been, I'm sure we would get treated better at the local Days Inn.

We are leaving for a cruise in a few weeks. We thought about going back to DVC but decided on the cruise where they treat you like they are really glad you are there. Disney Development Company should start paying attention!

Debbie

I read your post and think that it is absurd. Clout? My goodness you sound like a spoiled whiner... I love the DVC and I hope that they never give people who whine extra attention...Changing rooms at the last moment? Late checkout? What makes you think that you deserve that type of treatment when the guide books clearly give guidelines on those issues? Faucets sometime break and I can guarantee that it was nothing personal. I hope the DVC mamagement never gives in to people like you...

Rich....

What you obviously don't understand is that they did "give in " to people like us but at the time, it was the way DVC worked. Then people came down and started literally destroying the place and they had to take those things away. We had late check-outs if we needed them. Then people started abusing it. People started taking towels from the pool because they were too lazy to throw them in a washer because " they are on vacation", so then they had to put the towels at Hank's. Nobody said that they didn't like DVC, most of us still love it despite the things that were taken away from us, the originals, and I certainly don't think anyone is "whining", we are just expressing an opinion about how we feel about it. Unless you actually experienced what it was like at the beginning it is hard to know exactly how much things have changed. And oh, by the way, we have old "guidebooks" , Member Guidelines that state the things that we lost.....

Debbie

I joined in '98 so I can only speak about what I've read here. In the good 'ol days wasn't transportation terrible. How about Olivia's ? The big perk was the passes they gave as an incentive to purchase.
The first time we stayed at OKW in '99, I remember sitting in the hot tub listening to all the old timers complain that Disney has to do something for them when thier passes expire. They also complained because AK wasn't included.Disney owed them nothing.

During our last three stays-two at OKW,one at BWV, we had several maintenance problems , no a/c,exhaust fans inoperative, door lock broke,etc. These problems were found when we checked in,we called maint,they came and fixed them on the spot. You know what bothered me most ? They were broken when the previous people moved out,why didn't they inform maint. The faucet at VWL, do you think the maid broke it while she was cleaning the room.

As a previous poster mentioned-perks cost money.You want a seperate check-in at VWL, be prepared to pay to staff it, 24-7.

In the good 'ol days,were there toasters in the studios ? From what I understand DVC saw how popular they were and put them in OKW (and maybe DVC resort) studios.

Discounts: Does everybody get the discounts I read about on our website, or are they member perks. As for funny looks from CM's when inquiring about discounts: Let them look funny, not only will I save money on my meal,I'll save by reducing thier tip because they're rude.

Lastly, a lot of the complaints I've read on this thread and on several others are not short comings on the part of DVC, but are the fault of lazy,rude employee's. And if we don't take the time to find thier manager and complain about them,then we will all have to deal with them in the future.

In '98 we stayed at PO. When we returned to the resort after long days in the parks, we would find push carts giving free sugar cookies,hot coco and cider. We thought that was the coolest part of our trip- it was during the Christmas season. The folloowing year- no carts. We inquied and were told it was only for the 25th anniversary. Oh well,it was great in '98,we missed not having it but that's just the way it is. That's my "good ol' days" story.

Debbie,
I was never told that no other DVC would be built on Disney property, in fact, quite the opposite, I was told that one was in the planning stages. This was in Jan. 92. I purchased in Feb. of 92.
I believe in my contract there is a provision for changes as the DVC sees fit. This is not a quote but an interpertation.
I have for the most part encountered only very nice CMs, there have been a couple of exceptions and they have been dealt with immediately. Any maintenance issue I had was taken care of almost immediately.
After reading some of these posts (not just yours) I wonder if I am actually spending 2 vacations a year in the same place you all are.
I simply have no problem with OKW or the DVC in general.
I treat the CMs well and in turn they take care of me. What more could one want?

Debbie, I can appreciate your thoughts about the early years. I think that some of the newer members just have not been spoiled like we were…and yes…we are spoiled and we don’t want to stop. There have been some valid points made on both side of this issue but I think that all of us regard Disney as a provider of high customer service, or at least they used to be. More and more I have experienced what I would call non-Disney quality customer service and I am sad to see it creep in. As for the maintenance problems I discussed, I can understand that things happen, what I don’t understand is how a room that had been cleaned by housekeeping could not have seen that both sinks had maintenance problems as well as the fact that the balcony door would not lock. And yes I am spoiled on maintenance also, in the old days I would never have had to call them twice and wait as long as I did for them to come fix these problems. Oh well…I guess us old timers just need to face the fact that the glory days are gone. Yes, we still love DVC and would all still buy in to the program but…I sure miss the experiences we had. I can remember viewing the models before they were finished…we had to wear hard hats to go inside and now they won’t even take a second to walk down and show you a model after hours, I don’t know. Yes…I think we are just spoiled.

I've read and skimmmed and read some more. We bought into DVC in 1999. We have had two trips home and one recent (9/30-10/6). I have not come across a bad CM. The CM we had checking on 9/30 was incredible. She found a room at 9:45am, just happened to be a studio plus with a wonderful view of the pool. We got Welcome Home, Happy Anniversary and lots of good information. We also got a Boardwalk picture for staying there during our occasion. Coming from the service industry I know service is not 100%, 100% of the time. We need to look into the mirror sometimes to see if we may play a part in that. As far as clout, I wasn't there at the beginning. When we bought we bought to get a good room and save money over the long term. We will get that. We went over to the models at VWL since we bought an add on sight unseen. As we talked to DVC CMs we got welcome homes. In the model the woman gave us our space since she knew we were members but we ended up having a great chat while we were there.

I'm sure we'll have a bad visit. I'm sure i'll be upset but after the room I stayed on International Drive I realize what we bought was the best thing out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter