North Carolina to St Louis- Best Winter route

Teamubr

From somewhere outside StL
I've been spending January on the coast of NC, but need to head back to StL on January 30th. Google gives me a few options once I get to Winston-Salem. The first is a route I have taken many times. Stay on I-40 through Asheville/Knoxville/Nashville. It is roughly the same time 15:07 and about 20 miles farther than the "preferred" route. Google would like me to take I-74 - I-77 to Charleston, WV where I pick up I-64 the rest of the way into StL. It is 15:03 and a little bit less miles. I've never been this way and I'm leaning towards that route to do something different. The long term weather forecast looks good for both routes.

Anything worry some about the I-74/I-77/I-64 route? I carry plenty of fuel and only need to stop once, so that shouldn't be a consideration. I'm going to re-winterize before we leave and plan to drive straight through.

j

I can't give much experience getting you to 64, but I've driven the length of 64 from STL to the NE a tons of times. It's not as populated as 70 or 40, but there are plenty of stops the whole way. It's got more to look at out the windshield than 40 and the truck traffic is less than other major E-W routes.

The lower side of 77 is nice, and I would imagine the side north of 81 is not too bad either. Probably a bit of mountain climbing in thru there, as you hit the center of the mountain range.

You shouldn’t have any problems. From Princeton, WV to Charleston, WV, I-77 is also the West Virginia Turnpike (you can use an E-ZPass if you have one) as it goes through the Appalachians. It joins up with I-64 around Beckley, WV.

There’s a nice place to take a break, Tamarack, right on the highway just past Beckley. It’s a large state-run arts-and-crafts shopping complex. Sometimes artists and artisans put on demonstrations. It has a bakery and grill where you can grab something to eat. There is also a big travel plaza at the same exit.

The turnpike is hilly and curvy, and when the weather is nice, it’s a fun drive. However, it can get foggy which will slow you down a bit, and I don’t like driving it in bad weather. Also, it can be a little disconcerting for folks who aren’t used to driving through the Appalachians when locals and big trucks barrel past them on the curves.

Once you get through the hills, I-64 is an easy drive all the way to St. Louis

Last edited:
The turnpike is hilly and curvy, and when the weather is nice, it’s a fun drive. However, it can get foggy which will slow you down a bit, and I don’t like driving it in bad weather. Also, it can be a little disconcerting for folks who aren’t used to driving through the Appalachians when locals and big trucks barrel past them on the curves.

Thanks for the advice.

The hills don't bother me much. I've towed in the Rockies. I-40 past Asheville bothers some people. I think it's beautiful. The fog is annoying. I had to deal with that on the way down, but I won't be hitting that part of the drive until early afternoon. Hopefully any would have burned off by then.

I didn't realize I-77 or I-64 was a toll road in WV. I have an E-Z-Pass on the truck. I'll have to look up the tolls and make sure I have enough balance on it. I only use it when going to the Fort (and once by accident coming past Chicago).

I'll keep an eye on the weather and decide a day or two out. Or maybe I'll decide as I approach Winston-Salem. :)

j

"So, where'd you go to high school?" 😉 I went to Webster Groves.
Hung out with a lot of people that way. My brother's 1st wife went to Nerinx Hall and grew up in the big houses near by.

I was from North County, when it was still the growing part of town. Went to Hazelwood Central. Moved to Edwardsville to go to school and liked the town and stayed. I've been in Illinois "near StL" much longer than I lived in Missouri.

j

"So, where'd you go to high school?"
For the rest of you out there that aren't from StL, this is usually one of the first things a local will ask you. The St Louis area is very segregated. There are over 100 little municipalities in St Louis County. School districts and high schools within a district said a lot about your background and socio economic status. There were also some serious school rivalries and you COULD NOT be friends with anyone from XYZ school.

j

I believe the Florida Turnpike is the SunPass.
Florida actually has 2 systems depending on what part of their system you are on Sun pass is one and E-Pass is the other. They have finally worked out the interoperability with them so either transponder will work on each other's system. I actually have stickers for both, but only put the E-Pass sticker on, since it is used in a few other states. The web site lists GA and NC, but it worked in Illinois last July.

The WV toll rates are the same for cash or non-WV E-Z Pass anyway, so it won't save money, but it is nice not to have to stop and pay.

j

Yes we like not to have to stop and pay. When we went to St. Louis we took I68 down to I79 to I64 since we had to go via Charles Town, WV. No tolls that route.

Probably not helpful to you immediately, Teamubr, unless you aren't leaving for a few days, but the UNI pass (issued by the Central FL Expressway Authority) looks like a good solution for the future. You can order them from Amazon. Right now it works on all toll roads and most bridges in
  • Florida
  • Maryland
  • Rhode Island
  • Indiana
  • Georgia
  • Delaware
  • Illinois
  • North Carolina
  • New Jersey
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • Kentucky
  • Virginia
  • Pennsylvania
  • Maine
  • West Virginia
  • New York
  • Ohio
I'm probably going to grab one ahead of our trip to the Fort this summer.

Probably not helpful to you immediately,
I may order that. We aren't heading back until the 30th. They didn't have that when I bought my sticker last year. Illinois has toll-by-plate. Since the plate on my truck is assigned to the E-Pass sticker, it automatically charged the account. I didn't even have the sticker on the truck at that point. No clue if the WV system is the same (toll-by-plate). The E-Pass sticker was free (compared to the SunPass sticker) and I didn't have to have a box on the dash. I think the Uni is a physical device. It won't save any money, but will make it much nicer to not have to stop and pay 3 times. Now I just have to see what the weather will be link in 10 days.

j

Where did you see one on Amazon? It doesn't popup for E Pass Uni or EPass Uni. A lovely plastic holder for $8.99 does. :)

j
I just looked and they are out of stock on Amazon. I did just decided to rip off the band aid and ordered one. It says it's going to ship within 24 hours and usually arrives in 1-4 days. Hope that's the same for you if you go for it.

Since you already have an Epass, wonder if you can merge your old account to the new transponder?

Last edited:
EZpass uses a transponder, though you should also make sure your plates are registered so if the transponder does not read they can charge you by plate at no extra charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter