Norway Pavilion Way Back Question

zebrastreyepz

DIS Veteran
I was listening to Sorceror Radio "Ropedrop" and there was something they played that was similar in to the movies in France, Canada, and China. Did Norway used to have such a movie?

Yes. The Spirit of Norway. It’s on YouTube if you want to watch it. The Maelstrom was the ride and there was a short film. Maelstrom became Frozen HEA. I would guess movie was where the Frozen gift shop is now after you leave the ride.

Yes. The Spirit of Norway. It’s on YouTube if you want to watch it. The Maelstrom was the ride and there was a short film. Maelstrom became Frozen HEA. I would guess movie was where the Frozen gift shop is now after you leave the ride.
Oh come on - the gift shop is a Disney tradition at the end of an attraction!! That's always been there! I believe, if memory serves me, the exit from the boat was a little bit earlier in Maelstrom (probably around where Olaf sings "Summer" at the end in the current version), and there was a small theater right there for the movie before exiting. Now the entrance and exit points are the same.

I miss it can’t believe it’s been that long time just flies
Just my opinion but I think the gift shop used to be so much nicer I think all of them used to be they used to have stuff that was from the countries that you were visiting not so much anymore it’s really sad

I liked the Norway ride/exhibit better the old way. It was about the history of their country and interesting to see. Changing the theme of an international pavilion to be about some popular Disney movie is a mistake. Movies have a shelf-life and eventually when no longer popular they will have to redo it again.

Yep, it was there. You could skip it if you wanted after you got off the ride, just walk through the theater to the gift shop. I watched it 90% of the time because I enjoyed seeing and learning about Norway. Call me silly, wanting to learn about a country in their pavilion.
Agree. I always remember that being the original objective of World Showcase - movies/shows in Canada, France, China, America - all designed to educate. Now it's Frozen and Beauty and the Beast. I understand why Disney changes and the need to utilize certain movies (Frozen probably draws in more interest overall than a movie about the North Sea!), but there was a certain authenticity to the original set up in Norway. And I do love the Frozen attraction - just miss some of the original, too.

Where the theater was is now the final area of the ride queue.

Frozen Ever After both loads/unloads where the Maelstorm used to unload.

Where the theater was is now the final area of the ride queue.

Frozen Ever After both loads/unloads where the Maelstorm used to unload.
Thanks. I had it backwards. All I was confident about was the gift shop!! I'm pretty sure when Disney designs new attractions or makeovers, they start with the gift shop!

Yep, it was there. You could skip it if you wanted after you got off the ride, just walk through the theater to the gift shop. I watched it 90% of the time because I enjoyed seeing and learning about Norway. Call me silly, wanting to learn about a country in their pavilion.
That started in early 2011 IIRC,where they started leaving the entrance and exit doors open and Guests could walk through even while the legendary The Spirit of Norway was showing.

Prior to that,Guests HAD to wait in the little Village at the unload area until the doors opened for the next show even if they just wanted to walk through the Theater without viewing the Movie.

Everybody used to joke about being held hostage in the Village.lol

I miss it can’t believe it’s been that long time just flies
Just my opinion but I think the gift shop used to be so much nicer I think all of them used to be they used to have stuff that was from the countries that you were visiting not so much anymore it’s really sad
I miss the wall of Dale sweaters the Puffin's Roost used to have...now there's maybe two, along with a hat and some socks.

That started in early 2011 IIRC,where they started leaving the entrance and exit doors open and Guests could walk through even while the legendary The Spirit of Norway was showing.

Prior to that,Guests HAD to wait in the little Village at the unload area until the doors opened for the next show even if they just wanted to walk through the Theater without viewing the Movie.

Everybody used to joke about being held hostage in the Village.lol
Yep. I remember this well. If you walked fast enough you were able to get out the doors with the group that was exiting.😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter