Norwegian dropping vaccine requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind cases also went up, once masking went away... there are more factors besides testing.
I guess we can't know for sure which preventative measures worked best. But, we do know that many guests wore cloth masks, which weren't very effective, and nobody wore masks while dining indoors. So, I'm leaning more towards day-of-departure PCR tests over masks.

This is awesome news! I've said before I don't hate the testing rules, but I'm eagerly awaiting the day a cruise line gets rid of both vax mandates and testing, and they'll be the first to get my money.

I miss cruising, but have thus far avoided any venue that requires vaccination/testing, simply on principle.

I actually have no stress at all about testing. We accepted that there is a possibility that one of us could test positive and not be able to cruise. Of course we'd be disappointed, but we have alternative plans in place and we insured to prevent losing any money. If I'm positive, I have no business cruising. I'd rather deal with not being able to cruise than board the ship unknowingly spreading Covid to others, because that's all no testing will do- allow those who are positive to cruise anyway.
Oh I understand, if positive we shouldn’t be cruising anyway. It’s more or less just thinking of getting to port and finding out or more so now back-2-back being on and testing positive that morning. 💯.

I can only hope Disney follows soon. Would love to get back on the ships!

Here are the Norwegian changes:

Key fleetwide protocols changes, subject to local regulations, effective September 3, 2022 include:​

• Vaccinated guests aged 12 and older will no longer have any pre-cruise COVID-19 related protocols
  • Unvaccinated guests, aged 12 and older, or those who cannot or decline to provide proof of vaccination, will need to present a negative medically administered PCR or Antigen COVID-19 test taken no more than 72 hours prior to boarding
  • Guests aged 11 and under will not be subject to vaccination requirements or testing protocols of any kind
  • Vaccinated guests must meet the generally-accepted definition of “fully vaccinated” based on the destination they are embarking and/or traveling to and must provide proof of vaccination
I can only hope Disney follows soon. Would love to get back on the ships!
Platinum members here and agree 100%!

…After three calendar years (and looking at a fourth), it's time to move forward and accept that this virus will be with us like the common cold, flu, and other respiratory viruses. Let each person decide for themselves what their own tolerances are and chose to sail or not. This is true with going to a local restaurant, on an airplane, the local Walmart, and elsewhere; the same should be for the cruise industry. We hear the numbers for ships because they have to report incidents. Cruise ships are treated as though they are this ominous boogie man lurking to bring havic upon those who dare to walk across the gangway. But this virus is in our day-to-day lives as well and in the air around us regardless of where we step foot.

Airplanes claim great air circulation, I want to believe that, it’s hard to trust the media but there is statistical data available. People also make choices when going to Walmart and restaurants. You can choose to dine earlier when there are fewer patrons in a restaurant, avoid Friday and Saturday night or Sunday morning brunch. Just the same with Walmart during the early hours during the weekdays. But there are only two seatings on a cruise for dinner and usually the show is also two seatings. Maybe NCL is different. Although a person could in theory eat at the pool deck to avoid crowds.
I’m sure Norwegian has considered. https://www.newsweek.com/covid-killed-more-americans-past-2-weeks-flu-past-3-seasons-1674530?amp=1
But I think I’d like to see more statistical data for that article as well.
I’m 58 I do know one person who died of pneumonia 30 years ago but nobody who has died of the flu, but several who died from Covid. Tons of friends and family had Covid I’ve lost count at this point, most got pretty sick, but live to tell about it. Several of those people still have some Lingering conditions to deal with. I sure wish the taste would come back for me.

I too I’m super tired of all this and wish we could get back to the way things were. I kept thinking TSA was going to eventually be a temporary annoyance once the initial threat level went down. All these fancy IDs to have to travel now, Ugh! I mean seriously you have to get so many different IDs to get the IDs to show your ID! Remember the old days when you just had to buy a ticket and you didn’t have to show an ID to get on the plane?

I’m happy that NCL has made their choice. I think Disney will revisit dropping requirements in spring after cold and flu season this year. Of course not because they’re actually worried about cold and flu season it’s just when things are passed more easily.

Norwegian probably has a clause in the paperwork with the right to change testing or a vaccine requirement at any time. I’ll bet all those with the relaxed policies do also.

Just think about what a hurricane combined with a higher level of Covid throughout a ship will sound like in the media. I get so annoyed when people use the word petri dish in relation to cruise ships. Ugh.

They needed to something to prevent bankruptcy. The ships are just not full. I have just visited seven countries in Europe. I haven’t worn a mask or shown my vaccine card the entire trip. Covid is starting to feel like a distant memory. Unfortunately I’ll be reminded of it when I check in for my September DCL cruise.

I think Disney will revisit dropping requirements in spring after cold and flu season this year.
If Norwegian sees a significant uplift in bookings post the change and if the fist few cruses do not have a public perception that there was a higher COVID transmission rate, then DCL will not wait till spring. In the end, they are a commercial enterprise and they will be sensitive to loyal DCL customers booking on NCL.

They needed to something to prevent bankruptcy. The ships are just not full. I have just visited seven countries in Europe. I haven’t worn a mask or shown my vaccine card the entire trip. Covid is starting to feel like a distant memory. Unfortunately I’ll be reminded of it when I check in for my September DCL cruise.

Cruises are really one of the only places that are still having crazy strict covid rules. More and more have relaxed them. There are still a few stricter countries but not many.

If Norwegian sees a significant uplift in bookings post the change and if the fist few cruses do not have a public perception that there was a higher COVID transmission rate, then DCL will not wait till spring. In the end, they are a commercial enterprise and they will be sensitive to loyal DCL customers booking on NCL.

They likely won't show a public perception of higher rates with no more reporting to the CDC, it likely won't even make any news. Heck if when they were reporting every ship was considered to be under investigation. The majority don't test if they don't have a real reason to do so.

As far as I can tell, Disney, Holland, and Princess (not surprising there given the bad notoriety they gained in 2020) are the only ships that have a heavy US presence that have made no announcement yet on dropping testing. Have to feel like Disney is fighting for the same customer of Carnival, RC, and Norwegian to a degree and if they hold out much longer without cutting the testing back some, they'll start to lose some passengers to those other brands. Just my opinion.

They might also gain some. For me, sailing with other vaccinated passengers is a definite plus.

They might also gain some. For me, sailing with other vaccinated passengers is a definite plus.
Just disembarked the Magic. I would say it was about 60% full. A lot of Disney employees onboard, travel agents, airline employees, military stationed in Germany…everyone that gets 50% off. I doubt there were many paying full fare since they offered the public 30% off. Granted they changed the whole itinerary so, combine that with mandates , and I still think there’s a number of people that are afraid to cruise.

Maybe next year we’ll see full cruises… but then there’s the economy so who knows at this point.

Just disembarked the Magic. I would say it was about 60% full. A lot of Disney employees onboard, travel agents, airline employees, military stationed in Germany…everyone that gets 50% off. I doubt there were many paying full fare since they offered the public 30% off. Granted they changed the whole itinerary so, combine that with mandates , and I still think there’s a number of people that are afraid to cruise.

Maybe next year we’ll see full cruises… but then there’s the economy so who knows at this point.
I wonder if the lack of passengers is due to a vaccine requirement, or testing.

They likely won't show a public perception of higher rates with no more reporting to the CDC, it likely won't even make any news. Heck if when they were reporting every ship was considered to be under investigation. The majority don't test if they don't have a real reason to do so.
I don’t think cruiselines are going to volunteer this info to the public especially not Disney. The only place you’ll here about it is on social media, but that’s mostly just antidotal stories.

I think it’s a combination of the things I mentioned above. On this particular cruise there was a major itinerary change. I think testing and mandates are keeping a percentage away and then you have a percentage of people that are really still afraid of Covid and cruising is high risk.

I wonder the same thing. I think also just the idea of possibly testing positive onboard and having to quarantine is really off putting. For me that would probably make me the most nervous. Having said that, for me personally with the great deals for Florida residents the only thing that has kept my family from cruising is the vaccine requirement (my 12 year old isn’t vaccinated).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter