Not ROFR thread - general discussion

Only thing better than chatting here about our endless dvc contracts?? Using them! Just arrived to BCV for the first time as an owner. It was our first contract all the way back from last April and we're just getting to use it today. Did another dvc trip in October but it was a hodge podge of what we could still get elsewhere. So it's unofficially our welcome home visit.

Thanks to everyone who helped share great ideas and guidance to make this visit happen!

And yeah, we've already added two more home resorts since. Be warned, it's a slippery slope!

Yay for your first home stay!

We have only used our DVC points once so far...from our VGC contract. But we used it at BRV. We'll finally use our points at VGC in June!

I realy need to stop looking in the ROFR tread and wanting to low ball to the lowest offer. Probs already been black listed
False. You have every right to be an absolute pain to the brokers, and if make them hate you, meh, it’s to save literally thousands of dollars. I got my contract for about $20 per point below market last year. I got over a dozen rejections. $20 times 250 is 5 grand so 🤷‍♂️.

False. You have every right to be an absolute pain to the brokers, and if make them hate you, meh, it’s to save literally thousands of dollars. I got my contract for about $20 per point below market last year. I got over a dozen rejections. $20 times 250 is 5 grand so 🤷‍♂️.

Don't tell me things like this. im like a dog with a bone for a bargain !

Don't tell me things like this. im like a dog with a bone for a bargain !
Just remember this, the worst the brokers can do is tell you no, that's it. You move on and keep hunting, that's all!

If you're very firm on the UY and amount of points, sometimes it might be worth it to pay a little extra just to get that exact contract you want (I did the same thing). Have a threshold # or $$ in your head, so you can make a quicker decision when the brokers tell you there are other offers the sellers are considering.

Depends how one rents their points out that inspires the vitriol. If one is renting dates that are available upon request, I don’t think most owners care.

If one is proactively blocking hard to get rooms / dates to go find renters for, that inspires the pushback.
The past few post I have seen on FB at Dvc Fan have been against renters in general. I guess there is a distinction somewhere between the lines. I would think that if it was that big of an issue that DVD would step in but then again maybe they don’t care as long as the room is occupied.

I think there's a big difference between the two extremes with a a gray area in the middle. On one end, most would agree that an owner who can't go every single year and rents their points out some times to cover their dues (and a little extra most likely) isn't a problem. But at the other end of the spectrum, there are commercial renters with many, many points who immediate book the most desirable rooms and dates to rent out, preventing owners from accessing those rooms, and who just exist to make profit off of DVC - and I think most would agree that is problematic.

I think there's a big difference between the two extremes with a a gray area in the middle. On one end, most would agree that an owner who can't go every single year and rents their points out some times to cover their dues (and a little extra most likely) isn't a problem. But at the other end of the spectrum, there are commercial renters with many, many points who immediate book the most desirable rooms and dates to rent out, preventing owners from accessing those rooms, and who just exist to make profit off of DVC - and I think most would agree that is problematic.
I think it’s spec renters who walk the most desired rooms….

I’m already a pain to everyone else in my life - why would I care what a broker thinks 😂

First few offers in a few days ago and not heard any thing back.

Other rejected and countered. But still to rich for me. So on to there next ones

First few offers in a few days ago and not heard any thing back.

Other rejected and countered. But still to rich for me. So on to there next ones
I bid on 5. 2 never countered. 3 countered and if I had to have the points immediately, I think I could have reached a deal on 2 of them.

3 are still on the market and come the summer if they are still listed, I may approach the broker to see if a deal can be made.

I bid on 5. 2 never countered. 3 countered and if I had to have the points immediately, I think I could have reached a deal on 2 of them.

3 are still on the market and come the summer if they are still listed, I may approach the broker to see if a deal can be made.
1 sold within a few days of being listed and wasn't that good of deals.

Im in no real rush to buy so can play the long game.

I am with you on this, plus we have multiple contract for the home resort booking priority, but we only stay at one or two resorts per year. We are early planners and book 10 to 11 months out for our annual vacation.

Most owners who complain is because they can not book what they want in the next few months, gone are those days and it has nothing to do with renting points out, it has to do with how many points have been sold. For some reason they miss that fact that owners who rent are using their own points and whether they use them themselves or rent them out, this does not change how many points are out there. I get the frustration, as about 10 years ago you could still book Beach Club at the 7 month window. Now, you need to own Beach Club or stalk the reservation system multiple times a day, and forget peak season, not going to happened unless you get super lucky.

I agree that the speculative rental bookings at popular times are contributing to this.

I think an additional factor is people buying contracts at multiple resorts with the intent of using those points exclusively at the home resort. I think that issue is also a spiral to some extent; as more people book exclusively at certain home resorts, more people will buy contracts to get into those resorts at in the home window. That decreases availability at the 7-month window at those resorts.

There's also just more points in the system, and the most desirable resorts are going to feel that pinch at the 7-month mark the most....thus further increasing the people buying points to use exclusively at those home resorts.

Only thing better than chatting here about our endless dvc contracts?? Using them! Just arrived to BCV for the first time as an owner. It was our first contract all the way back from last April and we're just getting to use it today. Did another dvc trip in October but it was a hodge podge of what we could still get elsewhere. So it's unofficially our welcome home visit.

Thanks to everyone who helped share great ideas and guidance to make this visit happen!

And yeah, we've already added two more home resorts since. Be warned, it's a slippery slope!
Awesome! Welcome home - unofficially :P

I agree that the speculative rental bookings at popular times are contributing to this.

I think an additional factor is people buying contracts at multiple resorts with the intent of using those points exclusively at the home resort. I think that issue is also a spiral to some extent; as more people book exclusively at certain home resorts, more people will buy contracts to get into those resorts at in the home window. That decreases availability at the 7-month window at those resorts.

There's also just more points in the system, and the most desirable resorts are going to feel that pinch at the 7-month mark the most....thus further increasing the people buying points to use exclusively at those home resorts.
I think the final factor besides the 2 named is just that the internet changed booking.

It used to be phone only and not too many were calling at exactly 7 months, because it was a pain to, and because it didn’t matter much.

Once it went online, it became easier to book right at 7 months, which made some more people do it, which made it more important to, which made more people do it, which made it more important to, which made more people do it, etc etc.

And that cycle is still going.

My first two reservations with my new SSR contract were at VGC and BCV. I booked at EXACTLY 7 Months for both (and had to patch together VGC) and both were sold out by 12 seconds after booking opened. Because that’s how it works now. But there was availability for me to grab.

Same thing happened to all non-CRT dining reservations when they moved online. Same thing happened to concert tickets and Hamilton on Broadway and so on. Back in the day I didn’t want to wait in a 3 hour line at Sam Goody for Foo Fighters tickets, but I’ll get in this virtual line and do other things while I wait. Same thing.

That was the objective!

I don’t disagree with the other poster that this is a one off for now, but I also don’t think we’ve seen the bottom of Riviera pricing (relative to the other resorts). I still imagine that it will settle somewhere between SSR and AKV pricing when all is said and done.
Now that I own RIV points that I don't plan on selling, I kind of hope resale bottoms out so I can add on some dirt cheap points in a few years. I'm a selfish b*astard like that 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter