Not too impressed with DLRP

london75

DIS Veteran
I was going to reply to someone elses thread but was beginning to hijack it so thought I'd have a moan from scratch!

We also went this weekend (10th - 15th December 2008), I'm a big fan of Orlando and as money/time was tight we thought we'd have a quick Chrimbo break as our only holiday this year.

5 nights, 6 days at the Cheyenne with me, my wife, and daughters 3 and 6 months.

We thought we liked Cheyenne when we got there but just not used to Disney Hotels I suppose.

No hot water in the evening (warm but not hot)
Kettle screwed to the desk!!!
No coffee or tea
No towel bigger than a hand towel despite requesting
Had to ask twice for a crib when it was already pre-booked
Only bathroom radiator worked consistently
Turn the ceiling fan on then off (we have an inquisitive toddler) and the tv volume went off
Turn the TV on from standby and really loud
Tiny bath
Poor decoration
Childrens bedding tatty (exactly how much does a duvet cover cost these days, surely they're practically disposable now)
Tiny double bed (I'm 6'5" but that's not that huge!)
Tiny tiny room by other hotel standards

So all in all I'd put the hotel at the 1-2 star mark. It didn't seem in keeping with a Disney Park but I've grown used to Florida so we kept an open mind and tried to enjoy the parks as much as poss.

The park was nice but so badly in need of renovations across the board it was sad to see anything Disney looking so shabby. Paint everywhere was chipped or completely worn off, doors were battered, indoor floors were sticky with spills and outdoor floors were cracked and potholed which soon collected massive puddles as soon as it rained.

Studios was a real let down for us, it was a bit of a nothing park, I'd rather they'd made a full size Magic Kingdom than squeeze in two small parks. Everything in Disneyland Park felt cramped, all the rides were the same Orlando content but in a third less space which really ruined them I think.

As has been mentioned elsewhere before, they really don't seem to be able to manage queues and some of the indoor waiting areas are very claustrophobic. Buzz Lightyear was just a bloomin corridor with a few pictures on the wall. I mean, they could have disguised the emergency exits as airlocks or something!

Finally, the smoking. We were so suprised to find so many smokers in the park. In Orlando there are dedicated smoking areas, carefully crafted to not bother non smokers but provide people with a quick cig if required. In Paris, the last straw was as an ignorant woman in a queue for Dumbo with upwards of 50 toddlers proceeded to chain smoke flicking her ash all over her own children and then finally over mine. I flipped and started shouting at her but she didn't understand and ignored me! I looked like the baddy in the whole incident.

I implore you all, if you can go to Florida, it's a different world, not just a bit better but an entirely different experience. The Magic lives there and it's where we'll be going for our rest and relaxation in future. It's not as expensive as you'd imagine either, there were flights with Thomson for a fortnight for a family of 4 coming to around £550 over Christmas, accomodation is dirt cheap too and the cost when you're in the parks is much lower even with the Dollar rate dropping.

I'm so sorry this is such a big rant but I was so disappointed. I've had no holiday except those 6 days this year and wanted to spend some time with my wife and children and to find the Europeans have either neglected or perverted the whole idea of a magical holiday destination was so infuriating. Roll on May when we're off to Florida for 3 weeks of sun, good cheap food (actually more healthy than the junk DLRP serve) and fun.

And relax. My eldest loved it though so it wasn't all hopeless.

PS Getting stranded in Paris after a train derailments on Saturday was probably the last straw.

PPS BS transports got the wrong car seats on the return journey as so many people had warned me about, be further warned that you need to be on top of everything to make it go smoothly.

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy it. I find DLP better than WDW's MK in almost every way and are unlikely to ever go to Florida again unless we take a cruise. However, after 51 visits to DLP, they keep on getting better and better to me.

Different strokes. But yes, the Cheyenne is not great, but then again, neither are the WDW hotels (your experience sounds like our last stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge).

Yeah, I can't really compare hotels as we always get a villa due to taking parents.

Doesn't the worn paint on the railings and cracks in various bits of plastic. The mould in the most of the Dumbo elephants or the chairs with chewing gum stuck underneath bother you! It just felt so dirty and un-Disney.

Hi there, I'm so sorry you felt like that!

Just the other day there was a thread about people preferring DLRP to other disney places...(correct me if I'm wrong)

I for one wouldn't go to Florida as I've heard its not cracked up to what people go on about..To me Paris will be no1 and everywhere else can either wait or be forgotten about.

Again though I am truelly sorry you felt let down with it all:)

Yeah, I can't really compare hotels as we always get a villa due to taking parents.

Doesn't the worn paint on the railings and cracks in various bits of plastic. The mould in the most of the Dumbo elephants or the chairs with chewing gum stuck underneath bother you! It just felt so dirty and un-Disney.

That's pretty much what we found at the MK on our last trip. along with broken down AA's on almost everything. No Yeti on Everest (broken), things on the new Nemo ride broken, and filthy tables. I honestly was so disappointed after our 14 day trip at AKL, it is unlikely we will ever go back for a long time.

Add in I prefer every attraction at DLP where it is also in florida (e.g. PotC, IASW, Phantom Manor, the Mountains). Plus because we are used to doing DLP and I speak 4 foreign languages, we honestly do not seem to have the problems that other people seems to complain about (but I have seen it and know it exists - that's why I am sorry it happened to you).

For the closest to perfect Disney trip, I recommend Disneyland in California (but it doesn't help I hate Florida - weather, people etc.).

Sorry to hear you didnt have a good time.

I have been WDW twice and i perfer DLRP anyday. I don't think its fair when people say the real magic is in WDW. IMHO The Magic is what you make it, not what park your at etc...

To the OP, I think the weather can make a big difference too. We no longer go much in the winter as it is too cold. I think to be fair, that can take the lustre off quite a bit too.

hiya
sorry to hear ur experience wasnt good - considering we were in cheyenne similar times, we found it completely different!!

ok, same prob with tv, but hey, we were there for the parks so didnt much bother with it, but cant understand about the kettle - seein as u have to hire these out as they are not standard in rooms :confused3

bed was plenty big enuf for us - dh is 6'2" but maybe duvet cud have been bigger (just turned heating up lol)

we had a crib in our room, but didnt need it... and the heating was brill (too hot at one point lol) as for the fan, our ds2 is fixated with switches so it was consistently on lmao

i do agree with pp - the magic is where u make it - it comes from within, and from ur enjoyment - and i certainly wudnt even bother going anywhere else as dlrp is just right for us!!! maybe one day, when we have more money, but right now it suits us, with enuf to do on our trip, and we still havent seen it all!!! (excuse for trip number 3 ;) )

but as already said, e are all diffferent and if we all liked the same place, it wud be very crowded!!!

It's a shame you had probs with the service at the Cheyenne. To be fair on some points the beds seemed to be a standard double unless they vary from room to room? And baths are often smaller than ours in Europe. The rooms are small with few facilities but they don't want you spending time there, like Vegas hotels too lol You did book a "low end" Disney hotel, maybe you'd have preferred it at a different hotel?

Not sure how Studios are a "nothing park" though :confused3 Tower of Terror, Crushes Coaster, Stitch Live, Rock n Roller Coaster...

To the OP, I think the weather can make a big difference too. We no longer go much in the winter as it is too cold. I think to be fair, that can take the lustre off quite a bit too.

The idea of the weather in Florida is one of the many things that puts me off going there. :teeth:
I'm a northern European girl, I don't do heat, humidity, sunshine etc etc.

OP - sorry you were so disappointed. Hope you have a great time in May at your own happy place.

London75 I'm with you on this one. I do like DLRP and we've been a number of times but only because I haven't always had enough money or time to go to America eg, for a quick Halloween or xmas short break/treat.
I love Florida mainly because of the weather and I think that no one does Disney like the American CM's, they really throw themselves into it and that makes it for me and DD. I just don't get that feeling in DLRP but in all fairness I generally prefer America to anywhere in Europe so maybe I'm bias!
Each to their own and all that jazz :lmao:

I love Florida mainly because of the weather and I think that no one does Disney like the American CM's, they really throw themselves into it and that makes it for me and DD. I just don't get that feeling in DLRP but in all fairness I generally prefer America to anywhere in Europe so maybe I'm bias!
Each to their own and all that jazz :lmao:

just wait until you try the original, you may never want to go to Florida again. No humidity, but nice heat. and in many ways more Disney style cast than the swamps of Florida.

I knew someone that went to Florida a few months back and all you got was Florida this and Florida that.... saw her photos and I swear it was DLRP with sun!:rotfl: They were like my photos and hand on heart I thought 'oh yeah that MUST have been worth it for you flying all that way!':rotfl: mug!
The beds surely can't be smaller than the Santa fe hotel and my husband is 6ft 2" and they were fine not a thing wrong with them.
OP has gone to Paris in my opinion loving Florida (which if it floats your boat is fine) and looking for faults either that or he is a wind up merchant looking for a (friendly) arguement!;) :rolleyes1

No hot water in the evening (warm but not hot) .. TAKE AN EARLIER BATH
Kettle screwed to the desk!!! ... ERMMM DO YOU NOT HIRE THESE FROM RECEPTION?
No coffee or tea ... ASK AT RECEPTION WHILE HIRING YOUR NON SCREWED KETTLE
No towel bigger than a hand towel despite requesting ... SHAKE!
Had to ask twice for a crib when it was already pre-booked ... MAYBE THEY WERE BUSY, HAPPENED TO US TOO, NO BIG DEAL???
Only bathroom radiator worked consistently... YOU'RE LUCKY THAT ONE WORKED!
Turn the ceiling fan on then off (we have an inquisitive toddler) and the tv volume went off ... GET YOUR TODDLER TO STOP MUCKING AROUND WITH STUFF
Turn the TV on from standby and really loud .. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???:rotfl:
Tiny bath ..YOU ARE GOING TO FIND THAT ALOT IN EUROPEAN PLACES
Poor decoration ... GO OUT MORE
Childrens bedding tatty (exactly how much does a duvet cover cost these days, surely they're practically disposable now)... DID YOU ASK FOR NEW?
Tiny double bed (I'm 6'5" but that's not that huge!).. 6FT 2" BLOKE CAN FIT IN NO PROBS
Tiny tiny room by other hotel standards ... ITS NOT A LUXURY HOTEL, ITS CHEAP.

THE ABOVE IS SAID WITH TONGUE IN CHEEK AND IF I OFFEND YOU THEN SORRY:rolleyes:

Have a fab time in Florida!

I knew someone that went to Florida a few months back and all you got was Florida this and Florida that.... saw her photos and I swear it was DLRP with sun!:rotfl: They were like my photos and hand on heart I thought 'oh yeah that MUST have been worth it for you flying all that way!':rotfl: mug!
The beds surely can't be smaller than the Santa fe hotel and my husband is 6ft 2" and they were fine not a thing wrong with them.
OP has gone to Paris in my opinion loving Florida (which if it floats your boat is fine) and looking for faults either that or he is a wind up merchant looking for a (friendly) arguement!;) :rolleyes1

Had to ask twice for a crib when it was already pre-booked ... MAYBE THEY WERE BUSY, HAPPENED TO US TOO, NO BIG DEAL???
Turn the ceiling fan on then off (we have an inquisitive toddler) and the tv volume went off ... GET YOUR TODDLER TO STOP MUCKING AROUND WITH STUFF
Childrens bedding tatty (exactly how much does a duvet cover cost these days, surely they're practically disposable now)... DID YOU ASK FOR NEW?
Tiny double bed (I'm 6'5" but that's not that huge!).. 6FT 2" BLOKE CAN FIT IN NO PROBS

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
... not really big problems it has to be said. I went to florida, found the parks amazing, the set up, colours, its all much bigger and louder and things like epcot have that "wow" factor.. but no way as magical as disneyland paris! Its all so much more "disney" rather then just big bang tourist attraction.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
... not really big problems it has to be said. I went to florida, found the parks amazing, the set up, colours, its all much bigger and louder and things like epcot have that "wow" factor.. but no way as magical as disneyland paris! Its all so much more "disney" rather then just big bang tourist attraction.

See this is what I mean, how come people can have such different views of it?

I prefer your version!:rotfl:

See this is what I mean, how come people can have such different views of it?

I prefer your version!:rotfl:

haha me too. I have to say.. my recent trip in mid Nov... bar the crazy busy saturday.. which i just enjoyed in other ways, walking around pocahontis village, studios.. getting photos etc.. the other 4 days..were so magical! Its all so quaint and unique.. i love that. If it was all flashing lights, booming and crazy... it wouldnt be the same.... its almost as...

ok.. wierd way to put it.. but this is how it worked in my head :lmao:
disneyland paris - shows the soft side.. snow white, sleeping beauty, the old drawings, music and magic, ladya nd the tramp... its all old fashioned and CHARMING!!

Where as studios/ disneyworld etc etc- are all much more... nemo/ incredibles. very impressive effects, colours, bright, and very "wow" factor... but not quite as ... charming!!

does that make sense to anyone but me??:rotfl:

I was also there this last weekend and have to agree with you on many things. Esp that the magic just isn't there, it really doesn't even come close to WDW Florida

haha me too. I have to say.. my recent trip in mid Nov... bar the crazy busy saturday.. which i just enjoyed in other ways, walking around pocahontis village, studios.. getting photos etc.. the other 4 days..were so magical! Its all so quaint and unique.. i love that. If it was all flashing lights, booming and crazy... it wouldnt be the same.... its almost as...

ok.. wierd way to put it.. but this is how it worked in my head :lmao:
disneyland paris - shows the soft side.. snow white, sleeping beauty, the old drawings, music and magic, ladya nd the tramp... its all old fashioned and CHARMING!!

Where as studios/ disneyworld etc etc- are all much more... nemo/ incredibles. very impressive effects, colours, bright, and very "wow" factor... but not quite as ... charming!!

does that make sense to anyone but me??:rotfl:

makes sense to me and i not been to wdw!! BUT i know that americans do everything 'showy' and i do feel that dlrp is the softer more genteel side - and thats what i like..... i wud never go to vegas for eg as i think it is like blackpool on speed..... i like the more understated - but hey,. thats just me!!!

also - on the water front - we never had a prob and were bathing at 8pm and water was lovely n hot (maybe we took it all????:lmao: ) so not sure on all that but have to totally agree with poppyolivia!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter