Not too impressed with DLRP

I suppose it depends on what we all consider a "newbie". I guess I am one - as DLRP has been going for around 16 years, and I didn't start going until 2007.

I personally feel we all have as much right to an opinion on the place as anyone else, and I don't think Davewasbaloo would disagree with that.

bit patronising? isnt she allowed an opinion... ???

Indeed everyone is entitled to an opinion. I am sorry lil mermaid if I offended. It was nothing personal. It is just that I get really upset with the decline of Disney over the last 10 years and I do blame the guests somewhat for letting them get away with it (WDW worst of all). I am sorry if I offended, but I do not think mold and chipped paint is right for Disney. Having spent a lifetime studying the man and the parks, and his attention to detail, it gets me upset when we don't receive consistency across the resorts.

Indeed everyone is entitled to an opinion. I am sorry lil mermaid if I offended. It was nothing personal. It is just that I get really upset with the decline of Disney over the last 10 years and I do blame the guests somewhat for letting them get away with it (WDW worst of all). I am sorry if I offended, but I do not think mold and chipped paint is right for Disney. Having spent a lifetime studying the man and the parks, and his attention to detail, it gets me upset when we don't receive consistency across the resorts.

Sorry slightly OT but when you say you studied the man and parks was that a hobby or job (just find it quite interesting thats all:goodvibes )

Sorry slightly OT but when you say you studied the man and parks was that a hobby or job (just find it quite interesting thats all:goodvibes )

On numerous levels. As a kid, I always got in trouble because I would write every report to include something to do with Walt or the parks as a kid.

At University, one of my key thesis was on Disney's role in wartime propaganda and their role in helping to rebuild the American Dream.

Professionally I have used much of the Disney lessons in a professional capacity as I have trained senior managers across a number of the top PLCs in the UK and government agencies.

When I qualified as a PRINCE2 Project Manager and MSP Programme Manager, I used the Disney parks as key components in the courses.

I believe I have read every book written about Walt or the parks in English, published since 1986.

Add up 300+ trips to DL, 1 to the real studios in Burbank California, 8 weeks in WDW, 51 trips to DLP, the building site at Hong Kong, as well as conversations with a number of key legends and imagineers.

I am tempted to do my PhD on the Cultural Diversity requirements for the successful operations of international Disney parks.

I have named my kids after Disney references, and decorated each room of my house after different lands in the parks. I am obsessive :3dglasses

On numerous levels. As a kid, I always got in trouble because I would write every report to include something to do with Walt or the parks as a kid.

At University, one of my key thesis was on Disney's role in wartime propaganda and their role in helping to rebuild the American Dream.

Professionally I have used much of the Disney lessons in a professional capacity as I have trained senior managers across a number of the top PLCs in the UK and government agencies.

When I qualified as a PRINCE2 Project Manager and MSP Programme Manager, I used the Disney parks as key components in the courses.

I believe I have read every book written about Walt or the parks in English, published since 1986.

Add up 300+ trips to DL, 1 to the real studios in Burbank California, 8 weeks in WDW, 51 trips to DLP, the building site at Hong Kong, as well as conversations with a number of key legends and imagineers.

I am tempted to do my PhD on the Cultural Diversity requirements for the successful operations of international Disney parks.

I have named my kids after Disney references, and decorated each room of my house after different lands in the parks. I am obsessive :3dglasses

Sweet lord almighty, if my friends say I'm obsessive I'm showing them this!:eek:

You are like totally in love with Disney huh? Your kids must think you are well cool!

My mouth is actually wide open!:rotfl:

Ooops, I meant 1976. Oooops. I used to be. But frankly after my experience at WDW, the way DLP has been since the mid 90's (though getting better again), and all the reliance on toons at all the parks (never used to be this way), I have been losing a lot of faith over the last few years. But my kids do love it.

and all the reliance on toons at all the parks ?????:confused3

Most attractions built in the last 10 years (or shows) across the globe have been based on animated characters (or thrill rides). Disney never used to have to do this. As a kid, the only toon attractions were in Fantasyland.

But wouldn't that just be expanding, if they didn't do that then it would grow to a hault?
(I'm actually away right now so not ignoring you!;)

But wouldn't that just be expanding, if they didn't do that then it would grow to a hault?
(I'm actually away right now so not ignoring you!;)

There are other directions they can go in (like they used to) around the future, the wild west, the jungles, or new.

We have been to dlrp numerous times now and we have never noticed any neglect in the parks, We must have been too busy soaking up all the magic that dlrp has to offer. Yes, some of the hotels need a bit of redecorating, but as we only sleep in the room, we don't mind. :santa:

Just read through this, well done OP for introducing a bit of debate, you have obviously made some valid points, although nothing that I can say I've experienced but then I'm a DLP fan, my OH says I view it all through rose coloured spectacles and I probably do, but I like it that way - my only comparison to DLP is UK parks, so I'm the one wandering around Legoland, Alton Towers, Thorpe park etc. etc. saying "oh they wouldn't do it like that in Disneyland!" or "you'd never see that at Disneyland". Like others have posted I don't go looking for peeling paint or cobwebs, in fact on the one occasion I saw an overflowing bin in the queue to the Storybook ride I was totally aghast, but I put it down to the fact that the ride wasn't listed as being open, so maybe nobody told the cleaning staff - you see I'm very forgiving. lol

For the majority of us, the magic is there, I openly admit to being a newbie to DLP in comparison to davewasbaloo and I'd like to keep it that way, at the point when I start looking negatively at the parks, I think it will be time for me to give up, but I sincerely hope that doesn't happen before I've had chance to take grandchildren or even greatgrandchildren there. ;)

Wow, a very lively debate here.

I kinda agree with everyone here tbh.

Little Mermaid is right...a few cobwebs on the Dumbo ride of the odd chip off paint from a horse on the Carousel is not going to spoil anyone's holiday really.

Dave is right insomuch that DLRP has suffered massivly over the years. Unfortunatly Little Mermaid doesn't appear to have visited DLRP before the mid to late 1990's and therefore hasn't seen just how good the park has been and could be again.

I still feel a little sad when I walkt through the gates and you aren't greeted by the brass band on the band stand or the Babershop Quartet outside the Baber Shop...maybe one day

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy DLRP.
DLRP looks 100% better than MK. I find MK really artificial looking. I love going to both DLP & WDW however not so keen on MK, I think Epcot is brilliant. The hotels aren't that much better at WDW, I don't think any WDW or DLP are true luxury even the GF or DLH are pretty basic compared to what you can get for the same money else where. I love staying at a Disney hotel though.

I still feel a little sad when I walkt through the gates and you aren't greeted by the brass band on the band stand or the Babershop Quartet outside the Baber Shop...maybe one day

You are definitely a kindred spirit my friend. I really miss it to.

I was a little disappointed with certain aspects on our trip.
we stayed in the New York which is supposed to be a 4star but you still have to request the kettle ,cups ,iron ,ironing board .There were no pens or paper
the bathroom needed re-papering and the bath was tired and old ,I could feel the springs of the mattress and the thermostat was broken so the room temperature couldn't be altered.

these things did not spoil our trip but they are the sort of things I expect to find in a 4 star hotel especially at that price .

There are other directions they can go in (like they used to) around the future, the wild west, the jungles, or new.

I think what Davewasbaloo is meaning (and I hope no one minds me saying this) - if you look at the original attractions of the park - very few outside of Fantasyland - where related to a character or film. Attractions such as Space Moutain, Big Thunder Moutain, Phantom Manor.

Now, just about every new attraction being built has some connection back to a character or recent film. It's beginning to feel that attractions such as Autopia, Small World etc wouldn't get past the drawing board if there wasn't a way to connect it back to character or film.

Iain

I think what Davewasbaloo is meaning (and I hope no one minds me saying this) - if you look at the original attractions of the park - very few outside of Fantasyland - where related to a character or film. Attractions such as Space Moutain, Big Thunder Moutain, Phantom Manor.

Now, just about every new attraction being built has some connection back to a character or recent film. It's beginning to feel that attractions such as Autopia, Small World etc wouldn't get past the drawing board if there wasn't a way to connect it back to character or film.

Iain

Absolutely spot on with my views. I was being lazy I suppose in how I wrote it (and also didn't want to put my foot in it even more)

Dave is right insomuch that DLRP has suffered massivly over the years. Unfortunatly Little Mermaid doesn't appear to have visited DLRP before the mid to late 1990's and therefore hasn't seen just how good the park has been and could be again.

I'm a relative newbie too ~ my first time to WDW was 2004 and DLRP was 2005 but I understand what you and Dave are getting at. You'll be delighted to hear that there was a barbershop quartet singing on Main Street when we went this August. DH thought I was mad because I stood there for ages listening to them but that's one of my favourite things about WDW and I was so excited to finally find the same at DLRP. :yay:

Dave, each room in your house decorated after different lands ~ wow, that sounds awesome! :thumbsup2

london75 ~ sorry you had a disappointing holiday. Hope you have a better time in May. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter