Now I've seen everything: St Louis couple comes out of their house and points guns at protesters marching in front of their street

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I won't get into the politics about the demonstrators, but they were marching in the street and the sidewalk when this couple came out of their with guns and started pointing them at the crowd. They weren't protesting the couple, but this was just their path to protest the Mayor of St Louis at her home (may be an official residence?). The couple are apparently personal injury attorneys. There are other photos that show them pointing their guns at the crowd while there's also video, although I'll refrain since there's a lot of foul language.

5ef95188825ce.image.jpg

5ef9518851e66.image.jpg

My laymen's interpretation is that they can't randomly point a firearm at people simply because they're upset that they're making noise. I could by wrong, but I'm guessing they just violated several laws against brandishing firearms or menacing.

Last edited:
Growing up, St Louis was my stomping grounds

looks like not much has changed

I did find out that this was a private gated community. However, the protesters entered through a unlocked entrance to the community. I'm not sure that a gun can be pointed at trespassers, especially if they weren't specifically on their property (other than the sidewalk). They were upset that during a regular announcement, she gave out the names and addresses of citizens who had written to her to complain about things.

Here's the full article from the St Louis Post-Dispatch:

https://www.stltoday.com/news/multi...ion_cab79d8a-2742-5449-a43f-941071e2152c.html

While the gate may have been unlocked, there was a sign posted outside of it saying,
"Private Street
Access limited to residents."
So protesters entering were most definitely trespassing, and even if they stayed on the road/sidewalks (some videos seem to indicate that they did walk through yards), their presence there was still illegal. Assuming since it is a private road and community that the residents themselves pay for the upkeep of the sidewalks and roads, then I'm not sure they could actually be prosecuted for pointing weapons. They stayed on their own private property and pointed at people trespassing on private property that they presumedly pay towards the upkeep of.

I will say though that they give gun owners a bad name. Any knowledgeable gun owner knows that you don't put your finger on the trigger unless you're ready to shoot. You also don't point a weapon at anything you're not intending to shoot. They both unintentionally pointed their guns at each other which shows their lack of awareness while holding a weapon and that was reckless and irresponsible.

While the gate may have been unlocked, there was a sign posted outside of it saying,
"Private Street
Access limited to residents."
So protesters entering were most definitely trespassing, and even if they stayed on the road/sidewalks (some videos seem to indicate that they did walk through yards), their presence there was still illegal. Assuming since it is a private road and community that the residents themselves pay for the upkeep of the sidewalks and roads, then I'm not sure they could actually be prosecuted for pointing weapons. They stayed on their own private property and pointed at people trespassing on private property that they presumedly pay towards the upkeep of.

I will say though that they give gun owners a bad name. Any knowledgeable gun owner knows that you don't put your finger on the trigger unless you're ready to shoot. You also don't point a weapon at anything you're not intending to shoot. They both unintentionally pointed their guns at each other which shows their lack of awareness while holding a weapon and that was reckless and irresponsible.
That they ended up sweeping the guns at each other, as well as poor trigger discipline was noted in lots of commentary about this incident. It's not clear whether the guns were actually loaded.

However, that someone is simply in a gated or private community is not likely to be a mitigating factor unless they were threatened with harm. They weren't. If a solicitor comes to my door, I can't point a gun at him while telling him to leave. That's also on my property. Heck - if someone is cutting a flower in my front yard, I should be able to ask him to leave and even call for police, but I can't point a gun at them without a reasonable fear that I might be injured by that person.

That they ended up sweeping the guns at each other, as well as poor trigger discipline was noted in lots of commentary about this incident. It's not clear whether the guns were actually loaded.

However, that someone is simply in a gated or private community is not likely to be a mitigating factor unless they were threatened with harm. They weren't. If a solicitor comes to my door, I can't point a gun at him while telling him to leave. That's also on my property. Heck - if someone is cutting a flower in my front yard, I should be able to ask him to leave and even call for police, but I can't point a gun at them without a reasonable fear that I might be injured by that person.

It depends on state and local laws. While most areas do have laws that prohibit brandishing a weapon in anger/pointing a weapon as someone, some have exceptions for private property. The fact that it was a large crowd of people as opposed to a single trespasser could also possibly aid an argument that they were reacting in self-defense and felt threatened. Not saying I agree that they were actually in danger, but that I could potentially see a defense atty arguing that a large crowd trespassing on private property could leave someone fearful and thus justified in pointing a gun.

The country has gone mad. These two would be perfect for the next iteration of The Purge. They should go inside, switch off OANN and turn on Disney Plus. Although...."trigger warning" for them. Hamilton starts streaming on Friday. I'm not sure they could handle that. Insane.

I don't know the laws there as far as open carry, or what is permitted on one's own property. They are both lawyers, and normally I would say they probably know the law but seeing the way these two were handling their firearms makes me question what they actually do know.
I have no issues with American citizens practicing their 2nd Amendment right to protect their property.
The problem is that they were pointing at people who were not an immediate threat to them, and with their finger on the trigger no less :scared: While a large crowd can be intimidating, especially in today;s climate, they were just walking past. Even if trespassing through that gated community they were not bum rushing their house. Sitting outside with your firearm is OK IMO, pointing it at people while they are walking by takes it a step too far.
They need a few safety courses before they put their hands on a firearm ever again.

I think both sides are at fault here. If the protestors showed up and were trespassing, they were wrong. People waving guns at others on the streets is crazy and wrong. What is wrong with this country nowadays? So disheartening.

As an Australian where legally held guns are strictly controlled (criminals of course are a different matter) I was agog watching them both waive their guns around like they were toys! My Dad is a licenced firearm holder, registered shooter plus trains people to become licensed - I could just imagine him having a heart attack watching that video. My son pointed a water pellet gun at me last week and my Dad almost had a conniption at him (and he’s only 10!)

I wonder if the reaction would be different if they were merely sitting in a couple of chairs with the guns on their laps? We are in a "stand your ground" state, but not sure where the limits of liability/defense are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter