Now they're going after Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course not all, but one is still left wondering what the non Halloween shoppers were looking for. If they seeking generic "fall" decor, the majority are going to end up in a place like Michaels, not Spirit.

As for the non-Halloween crowd buying things at Spirit, again, one wonders what? Costumes for something other than Halloween? Possibly, if they are real advance planners (given Spirit stores are short term seasonal operations). And yes, I know the Spirit online operation does sell some Christmas items, but I've never seen those in short term seasonal stores.

As for all the plethora of prop items Spirit sells, I really wonder what the prevelance (much less profile) is of customers who are buying animatronic ghouls, plastic pitchforks and skull motif candelabras not for Halloween but instead for what? Thanksgiving? Christmas? Some weird office party? :rolleyes1
Well I lived in a college town at that time....you'd be suprised what people used those things for.

But costumes aren't just for Halloween. Frats and sororities had parties like that, aside from adult things kids b-day parties I can think of. Also cheap jewelry and clothing for things like school plays and whatnot (could also include random parties on that), black light bulbs and tubes, different colored light bulbs, fog machines (which I know some people used them for events other than Halloween), CDs-actually the one that we played the most at our particular store was Nox Arcana which does have a vibe for Halloween but certaintly isn't meant for just Halloween and other items.

As far as advanced planners---well the day after everything was 50% off and then the next day after that it was 75% off. Of course things were usually in short supply but hey if you're not picky about what's there you might find some cool stuff.

I did say the vast majority go in for Halloween but not all.

As a school librarian, I've purchased many items from Spirit that were never used for Halloween. In a previous position, I used costume hats when I did story time. More recently, my students have been creating short videos, and I bought various costume pieces and props for them to use when filming.

Really, what sorts of props? The severed hand or head ones? Or the bloody dead rat ones? Perhaps the plastic swords and pitchforks? Last time I checked Spirit, they didn't have prop typewriters, telescopes or baby carriages (except for those oned with screaming animatronic zombie babies). And do you do all this shopping for education just in September and October, or do you wait until Spirit does their online clearance in November? Tell us more.... :teeth:

Really, what sorts of props? The severed hand or head ones? Or the bloody dead rat ones? Perhaps the plastic swords and pitchforks? Last time I checked Spirit, they didn't have prop typewriters, telescopes or baby carriages (except for those oned with screaming animatronic zombie babies). And do you do all this shopping for education just in September and October, or do you wait until Spirit does their online clearance in November? Tell us more.... :teeth:

You do know they sell costumes and the props used for them that are not scary do you not?

Juliet, Cleopatra, Harry Potter characters, gangsters, cheerleader, ball players, referees, princess, knights, etc. Hats, wigs, plastic swords etc are props.

Are you seriously just this unable to see anything from another's point of view? I mean, seriously. First you refuse to answer a question that was asked of you several times and now you have decided everyone is lying. Very odd.

Well I lived in a college town at that time....you'd be suprised what people used those things for.
But costumes aren't just for Halloween. Frats and sororities had parties like that

Obviously, but not all parties are in September and October. I have a very hard time believing most college students plan on buying a costume they want for an event in April five months in advance at Spirit. Which is why I am also taking some of the other "I purchased X Y Z at Spirit but not for Halloween" "testimony" with a big grain of salt. The retail operation is short term and seasonal and I have hard time beleiving there is a massive universe of consumers who all proactively plan months in advance on on going to it during the brief period it is open, armed with pregiously drafted detailed lists of the "non Halloween" items the are not to going to use until months later or even longer.

A great example given by another poster was the one about "getting a fake rat at Spirit for an office prank." Was this prank planned back in May, but put on hold until the local Spirit opened sometime in September? Yeah, right. Or stated another way, the handful of cited "non-Halloween" Spirit purchases were likley random, rare impulse ones. And sorry Virginia, silly string (in just about any color you want) is a stock item at everyplace from dollar stores to odd lots.

As far as advanced planners---well the day after everything was 50% off and then the next day after that it was 75% off. Of course things were usually in short supply but hey if you're not picky about what's there you might find some cool stuff.

In my experience, the choice stuff (like the rare color versions of the fire and ice lights) sell out long before "the day after." As for blacklights, everyone in the haunt forums knows better deals can be found on ebay. The last purchase I made at Spirit was actually two years ago - an animated cat skeleton which I heavily modified ( weathered it with gel stain, ditched the cheap red led eyes and replaced them with green ones, then motorized the tail to also move when the cat is remotely activated).

Uhmmm football isn't played in April.

The point made apparently went over your head. It didn't have to do with when football is played.

It had to do with certain people claiming they purchase things at Spirit (for "non Halloween" use during other times of the year) during the short period of time the retail operation is open.

Ergo, the supposed "advance planners." :rolleyes:

You do know they sell costumes and the props used for them that are not scary do you not?

Juliet, Cleopatra, Harry Potter characters, gangsters, cheerleader, ball players, referees, princess, knights, etc. Hats, wigs, plastic swords etc are props.

You do know the point I was making had nothing to do with what is or isn't scary and everything to do with the preopsterous claims that Spirit sells loads of "Non-Halloween" merchandise.

What you are trying to do -- which is really odd -- is to equate "scary" costumes to Halloween and "non-scary" or "traditional" costumes to...... just "dressing up" (ergo not necessarily related to Halloween).

Which is patently absurd. The children who trick or treat here come dressed in every form of costume imaginable: scary, cute, flirtatious, traditional, odd, you name it, someone is wearing it. I see every character you mentioned above and more. That's one of the joys of the holiday.

The point is they purchased or made those costumes for HALLOWEEN. Not for some other purpose.

Which is what the OVERWHELMING majority of costume purchases at Spirit are made for.

Last edited:
No, you are practicing the simplistic, erroneous and nonsensical "sample of one" approach to reaching a conclusion.
You are making the clearly erroneous assumption that luvsJack is the only person in the country who purchases non-Halloween items at a Halloween store. You know their website is permanent, right? Not just September/October? And that they even sell seasonal items not related to Halloween?
Uhmmm football isn't played in April.
It can be... but the referee costume was purchased to use in a wrestling show.
Once again, some here like to play games with semantics.

But that doesn't work.

Due to principal's decision, there are no longer any events at the school that contain the label "Halloween." Since a now terminated event previously had that label, the use of that term to refer to ANY events at said school has also been terminated.

What form of ban are are you having difficulty understanding?
See what's highlighted in red. This is NOT what was previously claimed. All that was said prior to this backpedaling is that [use of] the word Halloween is banned.

So the word itself is not banned. People can still say it inside the school.

I see dead people. Just sayin. :jumping1::jumping1:

Such a debate over a day. And oh btw Halloween is not actually a holiday it is more an event.

An event that has roots in the eighth century and a pope, Gregory IV, who made the date what it is today. The customs that come from it like trick or treating is rooted in what is called souling. Wearing disguises for protection while souling. Getting food for offering to soul, mostly buns with crosses on it, the poor children would do this. It is more of a holiday than an event.

Actually, your reply makes it pretty obvious that you have never been in Spirit, if you think all they carry is scary items. And while I don't have any interest in listing every prop I have bought, they do include wands, police hats and plastic handcuffs, a white doctor's coat, plastic "filled" test tubes, and even fake cigarettes for an anti-smoking PSA.

As for my spending, the district always freezes our budget, usually in December or January. So yes, my shopping for the entire year is completed by October or November so I don't lose any funds. (Very frustrating, since books are published year-round.) I'm wrapping up all of my orders and purchases for this school year right now, as a matter of fact.

Actually you would be surprised what kind of stuff Spirit is good for. I do the costuming for my daughter's dance studio, Every year we put on the Nutcracker and a full ballet and we love Spirit for props and costume pieces... Le Corsair (we shopped for all sorts of pirate stuff)... Don Quixote (armor, weapons, Spanish accessories) ... Cinderella (mice, glass slippers)... this year we are thinking of doing Alice in Wonderland and will again shop Spirit, specifically for the White Rabbit and the Queen of Hearts accessories. Clearance is ideal, but if it is an important piece, we will get it before the sales.

So, they keep their website up all year long for those uber-Halloween-planners buying their costumes in, oh let's say, April? Got it! I'm sure that their management sees no value in selling all year long for cosplayers, theater programs, etc.

Well, there is a Jewish holiday where people dress up in costumes. Usually Purim falls in February and March.

What you cited is the reading level, i e., how difficult the text is to read. Children can comprehend language at a higher level than they can read. Many picture books have a reading level far above the grade of the children who might enjoy the book, which is why adults read these stories to children. For example, Where the Wild Things Are has a reading level of 3.4 but is loved by students as young as preschool. The same can be true for novels.

Well, for picture books, sure, because there are , well, pictures, to help the kids comprehend. But why read a novel that is a few years ahead for kids, one that they probably can't go home and read them selves? What's the purpose of reading it to them if they can't access it themselves at the same time?

You are making the clearly erroneous assumption that luvsJack is the only person in the country who purchases non-Halloween items at a Halloween store. You know their website is permanent, right? Not just September/October? And that they even sell seasonal items not related to Halloween?

It can be... but the referee costume was purchased to use in a wrestling show.

See what's highlighted in red. This is NOT what was previously claimed. All that was said prior to this backpedaling is that [use of] the word Halloween is banned.

So the word itself is not banned. People can still say it inside the school.

You are right about the costume. I was referring to the silly string.

The referee costume will be worn weekly probably for a few months until we get a real one ordered (shirt not referee lol).

The pp cannot seem to believe that silly string is bought for a multitude of things by high school and college kids. And usually the biggest games are played in October, early November so perfect timing for Spirit Halloween.

I agree completely with your entire post, by the way.

You do know the point I was making had nothing to do with what is or isn't scary and everything to do with the preopsterous claims that Spirit sells loads of "Non-Halloween" merchandise.

What you are trying to do -- which is really odd -- is to equate "scary" costumes to Halloween and "non-scary" or "traditional" costumes to...... just "dressing up" (ergo not necessarily related to Halloween).

Which is patently absurd. The children who trick or treat her come dressed in every form of costume imaginable: scary, cute, flirtatious, traditional, odd, you name it, someone is wearing it. I see every character you mentioned above and more. That's one of the joys of the holiday.

The point is they purchased or made those costumes for HALLOWEEN. Not for some other purpose.

Which is what the OVERWHELMING majority of costume purchases at Spirit are made for.

No I don't equate scary with Halloween. Far from it. You, on the other hand, only posted pictures of scary items and mentioned severed hands and such as props.

It doesn't matter what something is made for, it does matter what it is purchased for.

You mention that lights and such can be purchased cheaper from eBay. I am sure it can. But after getting a couple that don't work, they prefer to get them where they can see them. This year they picked some up at Home Depot but in the past they have gotten lights at Spirit Halloween because they had some no one else had and they were great for special effects needed in a show. Besides how does where something is cheaper prove where someone may or may not have bought them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter