Observations from HKDL visit January 2015

MNTwinsMom

Mouseketeer
This board was helpful when planning my recent trip, so I thought I would share some of my thoughts and hopefully help out some of you currently planning a trip.

I visited Hong Kong Disneyland on Thursday, January 28, 2015 with my sister, brother-in-law and nieces (age 3 and 6). This was the first to trip Hong Kong Disneyland for all of us. I am the Disney fan of my family, having participated in the College Program at WDW, 10+ visits to WDW and 2 visits to DL California. I have 12-year-old twin boys so my most recent park touring has been fast-paced and attraction-centered. Travelling with smaller kids and those not familiar with Disney parks was different, but exciting.

Traveling to the Park

We rented a flat in Discovery Bay on Lantau Island. We travelled by bus from Discovery Bay to the Sunny Bay MTR (subway) station and took the Disneyland Line to the park. Even though it is technically part of the public transportation system, the train to Disneyland and the Disneyland station when you arrive set up the Disney theming well and you feel you are stepping into the Disney bubble as soon as you board the train. The train ride is less than 10 minutes.

Entering the Park

Be sure to allow time to take pictures and look around the entrance area before heading into the park. The Hong Kong Disneyland sign and Mickey fountain provide great photo opportunities. We arrived at 9:20am and were waiting in the hub just before 10am for the opening. At park open we headed for the Anna and Elsa fast pass distribution. This may have changed, but in January the only way you could meet Anna and Elsa was getting a return time/fast pass. The fast past distribution was just to the left of the castle. We waited in line for about 10 minutes and were given a return time of Noon – 12:15pm.

First impressions

With the castle currently under scrims, the initial site on Main Street did not exactly take your breath away. Part of Main Street was also under scrims. However, we knew this was going to look this way, so it was not a huge disappointment. There are plenty of other beautiful sites and photo opportunities. Not to mention the lush green mountains that surround the park.

Character Interactions

Hong Kong Disneyland does character meet and greets well. The Fantasy Gardens area in Fantasy land is similar to the character trails at Camp Mickey Minnie in AK. There are separate gazebos and queues for 5 different characters (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Pooh). The longest we waited was about 15 minutes for Mickey. Pluto and Goofy often had just one family waiting. Princesses were meeting near Snow White’s grotto next to the castle with waits of less than 15 minutes in the afternoon. This was not a busy time of year, so obviously wait times will vary greatly depending on how busy the park is.

Food

Lunch at the Lucky Nugget Saloon in Grizzly Gulch was far better than the US parks counter service food. The food was better quality and freshly prepared. The service was fast and there was plenty of outside shaded seating. Popcorn options were plentiful, with each cart offering 2 flavor options (salt & pepper, curry and carmel corn, etc.) Although we aimed for Western style food offerings, there were options for all types of food throughout the park.

Photopass

If you are interested in photopass pictures you must decide before you leave the park. We made the mistake of thinking we could view the photos once we had left the park and were disappointed to find out this was not an option. You must go to a kiosk inside the park the same day the photos were taken and they can tell you the options to buy prints and/or downloads.

Attractions

The It’s A Small World attraction at HKDL is exceptional. The exterior is stunning, set on the side of a mountain and the attraction itself is flawless. It is different enough from the US parks that it feels familiar, but also like a whole new attraction. Don’t skip this attraction thinking it is the same as you’ve experienced at the US parks.

Mystic Manor is exceptional and should not be missed. If you are any kind of a theme park fan you will enjoy it from start to finish. If you are a Disney fan and remember what it felt like to experience Tower of Terror for the first time, this will be similar. It is immersive, full of details and an original story different than any other Disney attraction. This is not a haunted house.

There are many play areas, splash zones and photo locations around the park that although technically are not attractions, provide great opportunities for kids to play and parents to relax. My nieces particularly enjoyed the Grizzly Gulch play area and the splash zone near Space Mountain in tomorrowland.

Overall Impressions

Visiting a foreign Disney park was at the top of my Disney bucket list, so I was extremely excited to visit Hong Kong Disneyland. It felt familiar, yet unique and I absolutely loved it. If I had the time, I definitely would have spent another day in the park to experience more of it. We were in the park at an off-peak time of the year (longest wait of the day was 30 minutes for Mystic Manor at 2pm and many attractions were less than 10 minutes waits) and didn’t experience even half of the offerings in our one day.

I’d be happy to answer any questions you have. Thanks for reading!

how scary was Mystic Manor compared to ToT? Is there any big drop? This is the first time I heard this comparison and now I am worried about my kids. Did the kids you were with go on it?

how scary was Mystic Manor compared to ToT? Is there any big drop? This is the first time I heard this comparison and now I am worried about my kids. Did the kids you were with go on it?

Sorry if my comparison to ToT was confusing. I meant it is an immersive experience similar to ToT. Even walking up to the building is part of the experience. There are giant wooden gates that lead to Mystic Point and the mansion looms over the area. And the queue is setting up the story the way ToT does.

That said, Mystic Manor is not a thrill ride. There are no drops. It does have one room that spins you a few times, but nothing too extreme. However, some of the images are intense and could be frightening for smaller kids. I went on this attraction by myself to check it out and we decided not to take the kids on it. If you are not sure if your kids would like it I would suggest watching a YouTube video to get an idea of the experience.

Oh and do you know when the Main St renovations will be complete?

Sorry I don't know when the renovations will be complete, but from what I read I think they just started on that side of the street recently. Main Street Gazette does a weekly blog on changes around HKDL and he just reported the scrims on the Emporium side of Main Street on 1/29.

And since we are talking about rehabs:
- Tarzan's Treehouse is being worked on and covered by bamboo looking scaffolding
- The Iron Man Experience construction (including a tall crane) in Tomorrowland is covered by fences

Thanks for the info! We won't be there until June so hopefully it will be done by then and my kids wouldn't be interested in Iron Man so that is good for is. And thanks for the Mystic Manor info, we will likely try it.

Hi

Great detailed trip report. We are taking a trip on Jan 16, a long time to wait but excited. Would love to know about the weather at HKDL in January. Is it very chilly and should we pack or jackets??

I went in December last year and it was chilly. I ended up buying a hoodie sweatshirt there to give me a little more warmth. I had packed a lighter coat/jacket which was fine with the hoodie. It did rain a lot though and was cool and misty. I bought a rain poncho as the park as well.

Hi

Great detailed trip report. We are taking a trip on Jan 16, a long time to wait but excited. Would love to know about the weather at HKDL in January. Is it very chilly and should we pack or jackets??

Sorry for the extremely late reply . . . the weather in January in Hong Kong was beautiful. I wore a light fleece jacket in the morning, but it quickly warmed and I was comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt during the day. From my perspective, PERFECT park touring weather! We did not experience any rain while in HK.

Our other days in HK varied from shorst and t-shirt weather to needing a light jacket most of the day. When you are near or on the water it is breezy.

Thanks Expat - always do pack light. With the horrid exchange rate at the moment won't be buying much unfortunately I think! I was thinking a hoody will keep us warm enough if the evenings turn a bit nippy? though I am expecting more on the hot side.

Thanks Expat - always do pack light. With the horrid exchange rate at the moment won't be buying much unfortunately I think! I was thinking a hoody will keep us warm enough if the evenings turn a bit nippy? though I am expecting more on the hot side.

I think you are right probably will be more on the hot side in October- have fun planning and a great trip!pixiedust:

I asked this as my own topic; but no replies to it yet. Lots of looksie-loos though. lol

Is pin trading alive at HKDL? I don't do it much anymore in FL, and I know it's banned in TKDL, but did you notice anyone trading pins with cast while you were at HKDLR?

I didn't notice anyone trading pins when I was at Hong Kong Disneyland last year.

But, I don't pin trade, so it's not something that would necessarily be on my radar to look for (or even notice).

sperkins921 when are you going? I can have a look and let you know if its after our trip in mid Oct?

I asked this as my own topic; but no replies to it yet. Lots of looksie-loos though. lol

Is pin trading alive at HKDL? I don't do it much anymore in FL, and I know it's banned in TKDL, but did you notice anyone trading pins with cast while you were at HKDLR?

I noticed several cast members with pins to trade, but did not see anyone actually trading pins. There were LOTS of pins to buy. I purchased several HKDL exclusive pins.

I noticed several cast members with pins to trade, but did not see anyone actually trading pins. There were LOTS of pins to buy. I purchased several HKDL exclusive pins.
That's what I suspected. Thanks for the heads up. I will just bring my spare trading pins just in case. Did not want to because they added weight, you know? But better safe than sorry LOL can't wait to buy some of the Hong Kong Disney exclusive pins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter