• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Off to an awful start----LONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya know it such a problem I called my Rep. I just bought in a few months ago and she instructed me to email guest relations with my complaint. I am going to Vero and SSR for Thanksgiving, every minute counts on vacation and a two hour difference is a deal breaker! I want my rooms to be clean and I want to check in by 4pm. At HH on Memorial Day I got in at 4:10 no worries there!!!

Gosh... a deal breaker? The chances of having to wait until 6pm... very slim, and so getting into your room 2 hours later on the first day breaks the whole deal. :confused3

You know what I think is the better check-in solution... having earlier check-out times. 10 am is not unusual for a check-out time. We're almost always out the door by 9 am. That last morning is pretty much useless at the resort and we're ready to go (all packed I mean) when it comes.

Because people are booking a property other than booking through Disney! They book them from travelosity, yhaoo, expedia and so forth. So as I said they all need to be on board and get it correct so that people know what to expect before they arrive.:groom:

Oh please. Let me tell you about a trip I had to Holiday Inn for a convention in Los Angeles.

We booked and pre-paid through convention packager. Check-in time was listed at 3:00. We reserved, and pre-paid for a room with two beds, as it was my employer and I sharing the room.

We arrived about 3:30. First we were told the hotel was full, no room. We produced the pre-paid confirmation that was issued by the hotel, on their letter head, to the convention packager. We were told that a room may be available by 5:00. Keep in mind that the convention packager, while they made the reservation, the pre-payment was billed out directly through Holiday Inn...the credit card receipt was issued by Holiday Inn, along with confirmation.

We had a dinner meeting, and an evening conventio session. We returned to the hotel about 9:30. We were assigned a room that had been converted into an emloyee break room... there was no bed in it, there were folding tables and chairs, the bathroom had been turned into a kitchenette.

We waited another hour...so it was now 10:30, they finally came up with a room ...with a King bed...no rollaways or cots were available. After taling with the manager and complaints Holiday Inn corporate, the reply was that the confirmation only guaranteed a room, but that check-in times and room types were subject to change and were no guaranteed.

I have NOT stayed in a Holiday Inn since.

Gosh... a deal breaker? The chances of having to wait until 6pm... very slim, and so getting into your room 2 hours later on the first day breaks the whole deal. :confused3

Very slim to wait? Have you seen these discussions in the last 3 days? Including mine? I just came back?

Snip....
Basically WDW is in a severe crisis shortage of housekeepers, so the ones they do have are only able to give the units a cosmetic cleaning, not a deep cleaning.
Snip.....

This creeps me out. Just wondering, where is this information coming from?:confused3

Oh please. Let me tell you about a trip I had to Holiday Inn for a convention in Los Angeles.

We booked and pre-paid through convention packager. Check-in time was listed at 3:00. We reserved, and pre-paid for a room with two beds, as it was my employer and I sharing the room.

We arrived about 3:30. First we were told the hotel was full, no room. We produced the pre-paid confirmation that was issued by the hotel, on their letter head, to the convention packager. We were told that a room may be available by 5:00. Keep in mind that the convention packager, while they made the reservation, the pre-payment was billed out directly through Holiday Inn...the credit card receipt was issued by Holiday Inn, along with confirmation.

We had a dinner meeting, and an evening conventio session. We returned to the hotel about 9:30. We were assigned a room that had been converted into an emloyee break room... there was no bed in it, there were folding tables and chairs, the bathroom had been turned into a kitchenette.

We waited another hour...so it was now 10:30, they finally came up with a room ...with a King bed...no rollaways or cots were available. After taling with the manager and complaints Holiday Inn corporate, the reply was that the confirmation only guaranteed a room, but that check-in times and room types were subject to change and were no guaranteed.

I have NOT stayed in a Holiday Inn since.

I had a virtually identical experience with a Courtyard in Phoenix several years ago. I have not stayed in a Courtyard since.

Do you think part of the problem with housekeeping is that they are moving cash-paying guest from other properties to OKW (i.e. AKL guests moved due to construction/upgrades from POP, etc.)? Since those cash-paying guests are entitled to daily housekeeping, that would seem to create a greater strain on housekeeping resources than member stays would create.

Note: I'm not saying it's an excuse - OP should NEVER have been treated rudely.

Yes, I remember the peach colored towels and sheets. Imagine how much they faded when laundered with chemicals to sterilize them between guests. I also remember place mate, scales, the coffee pots with the thermos carafe that you couldn't "forget" to turn off. Oh, and remember "express check-in" where you could call in a credit number, then just pick-up your room key at the express desk?

But, perhaps we shouldn't blame Disney or DVC for all these changes. Surely the placemats and scales were high theft items by your fellow members (after all, I've even seen the paper beverage coasters on ebay). Just like the pirate cove area along the canal was vandalized so often, they simply removed it.

Express check-in...ha, not with today's security concerns.

Thanks for the memories Chuck! I thought for a moment I may have been dreaming! We were on the DCL cruise and had the magnet Welcome Home Member signs on the doors stolen. Sad isn't it!

ahhh, yes, express check-in....:love:

ok, back in my clean house after driving all day...I'll keep you informed.

As I said before, our main issue was the fact that after asking at 1:00 if there was any way we could possibly put a rush on the cleaning and was told they would but it would take about an an hour, calling back at 2:15 and it was not done, 3, 3:15, etc. The dh started going up to the front and the girl would disappear for a while. Then come back and say, it isn't done. At 4:05 is when I got involved again and I got the eye rolling and head shaking. By then I was pretty frustrated, but only because no one was being honest. Then the manager (some female) got involved and basically told us it will be ready when it is ready. At that point, we staged sort of a sit in, most of the family came back from the parks, so they went over to the store, bought a six-pack, sat on the floor and we waited. and waited. and waited. Mind you, I had my 1 yo dgs tied to me who had been a gem all day. (thank you Jesus!)The manager was standing behind the desk with the girl dh kept asking info from and suddenly she announced the room was ready. (not quite sure were she got that from). That's when I said I certainly hope after all this time cleaning it, it is clean! She said, well, if it isn't you know where to find us. Have a magical day!

Also as I said before, we always have something to do the day we arrive, but this time getting off the ship and dh not feeling well, we just wanted to crash, even if it was just in Papa's Den. It was the little bit of hope I was given at 1 pm that started it all down hill. Also, I need to say that when they sent someone back to clean the floor, she wasn't even from OKW, she was from SSR, and she told me she had never cleaned those floors before or had even been in the villa. I showed her where the mop and bucket was. She was very nice and apologetic, but hey, it wasn't her fault.

The management at OKW is the same that it has been for several years, back to the good ole days.

If you want heads to roll you are going to have to go higher than the OKW management and I suggest the DVC management.

His focus is sales and not the current membership.

Thanks for the insight Sammie.

It always does start from the top doesn't it?
Focusing on sales and ignoring your consumer base will only work for so long before it comes back to bite you. Hopefully, the powers-that-be will start paying attention before ....

The Passporter, nor whatever website twinand01 quotes are NOT official Disney guides or sites in any way. I could post that check-in time is 2:15, but that doesn't make it so.

Why would folks take a non-Disney published source over an actual DVC/Disney document?

my thoughts exactly.

As well, the OP rushed OKW into getting into the room, and then is upset at some perceived lack of cleanliness???

OP makes much out of her perception that she was lied to. Could it have been that OKW made every honest attempt to help her, and it just didn't work out? It seems a little understanding should go both ways...

As I said before, our main issue was the fact that after asking at 1:00 if there was any way we could possibly put a rush on the cleaning and was told they would but it would take about an an hour, calling back at 2:15 and it was not done, 3, 3:15, etc. The dh started going up to the front and the girl would disappear for a while. Then come back and say, it isn't done. At 4:05 is when I got involved again and I got the eye rolling and head shaking. By then I was pretty frustrated, but only because no one was being honest. Then the manager (some female) got involved and basically told us it will be ready when it is ready. At that point, we staged sort of a sit in, most of the family came back from the parks, so they went over to the store, bought a six-pack, sat on the floor and we waited. and waited. and waited. Mind you, I had my 1 yo dgs tied to me who had been a gem all day. (thank you Jesus!)The manager was standing behind the desk with the girl dh kept asking info from and suddenly she announced the room was ready. (not quite sure were she got that from). That's when I said I certainly hope after all this time cleaning it, it is clean! She said, well, if it isn't you know where to find us. Have a magical day!

Also as I said before, we always have something to do the day we arrive, but this time getting off the ship and dh not feeling well, we just wanted to crash, even if it was just in Papa's Den. It was the little bit of hope I was given at 1 pm that started it all down hill. Also, I need to say that when they sent someone back to clean the floor, she wasn't even from OKW, she was from SSR, and she told me she had never cleaned those floors before or had even been in the villa. I showed her where the mop and bucket was. She was very nice and apologetic, but hey, it wasn't her fault.

Checking every 10-15 minutes seems excessive.

While the eye rolling and condescending looks are not acceptable, you do have to admit (from this post it seems clear) that you pushed these CM's over the edge. I wouldn't have been able to last as long as they did...

It looks like you set them, and yourself, up for the eventual outcome.

Checking every 10-15 minutes seems excessive.

While the eye rolling and condescending looks are not acceptable, you do have to admit (from this post it seems clear) that you pushed these CM's over the edge. I wouldn't have been able to last as long as they did...

It looks like you set them, and yourself, up for the eventual outcome.

I don't think so, not when I was told one hour and I waited over one hour to call and to give them time to finish. Then 45 minutes after that. I think at that point, I was being pretty darn patient. No where in that post did I say I asked every 10 minutes. You had to be there to see how we were treated and like I said before, we were not the only ones. This other family, who had been there just about as long as we were, had 2 small children and they were being jerked around and that woman ended up standing there the entire time because her husband was so annoyed. I certainly hope they write a letter as well. Also, remember, when you call, you do not get the same person. There was one man in Papa's Den who sat by the phone and had it to his ear every 5 minutes. Now, that is excessive. I'm sure they have a tough job, but you know what, so do we. While they are trying to make someone have a magical day, we are also trying to have people have magical days by saving their lives. I don't think it is to much to ask to go to Disney and be treated fair, considerate, and honest. As far as CM's being pushed to the edge, if they cannot handle it, they need to get out. I'm sorry you do not agree, but I would love to see how you would react when told one thing and the opposite was done, have the eye-rolling and head shaking, and by the way that was after I waited an hour and forty-five minutes after they told us it would be done. Then be told if it wasn't clean , I know where to find her? Then be told "Have a magical Day"! I don't know you, maybe you would just say oh ok, they are doing their best. Not acceptable to me. Also, when my family sat on the floor and waited, it was "after 4" because they had made other plans with their day until check-in.

You know, we shouldn't have to feel embarassed about expecting a product to be satisfactory...be it a new television or a hotel room. Whether we pay for a room on cash or on points we should be treated with respect. Being a nurse in a psych hospital I often have to take care of clients who can be "challenging". I always treat them with respect and never would think to "roll my eyes or shake my head" because my JOB is to deal with PEOPLE in a nonjudgemental way.
The poster was just reacting to what the CM's told her family. The CM's probably don't have much input in what housekeeping does and how long it takes them to clean. I don't know if the CM's just told them a time to "keep them quiet" or whether housekeeping gave them a time. We were involved in a similar situation about a room this June. We actually spent TWO DAYS trying to straighten out a room situation and believe me ...even though we felt that what we were asking for was right and the resort had made several errors about our room...we felt like the CM's were annoyed with us and we got several "LOOKS". One older CM actually came up to us and said "NOW
what's wrong?" in a condescending way.
We also were tempted to sell all of our points and to go back to renting rooms, but we decided that a couple of "sourpusses" won't change a smart vacation decision...DVC.

This creeps me out. Just wondering, where is this information coming from?:confused3

Any Orlando paper, the local news channels, people who work there. There have been several discussions of it here on the DIS by Disney CMs. They offer them bonuses to recruit workers.

Basically Orlando over built the manpower available. It is not just Disney that is short, but Disney is about 3,000 short.

Any Orlando paper, the local news channels, people who work there. There have been several discussions of it here on the DIS by Disney CMs. They offer them bonuses to recruit workers.

Basically Orlando over built the manpower available. It is not just Disney that is short, but Disney is about 3,000 short.

I have several good friends who work in the hospitality industry in Orlando -- they can vouch for the accuracy of your statements.

You know, we shouldn't have to feel embarassed about expecting a product to be satisfactory...be it a new television or a hotel room. Whether we pay for a room on cash or on points we should be treated with respect...

I totally agree. I know that we all are aware of Disney Guests who without a doubt have been extremely frustrating and obnoxious to have to deal with and are the type that give all hotel guests a bad reputation in general.

However, I also think a lot of people tend to give Disney a free pass when it comes to real issues just because it's Disney or because they simply do not want to have to use up the precious vacation time they do get to spend with their families by having to troubleshoot problems.

It is because we treasure and value our DVC membership, love Disney, and want to be able to enjoy every minute of our time there for the next 35 years, that I think we owe it to our financial investment, and to our fellow DVC members, to respectufully voice our concerns directly with DVC when clearly a problem exists.

As I stated earlier, I do believe that Mouskeeping has become a problem area that is now causing additional problems/complaints/issues to occur in other areas.

We've been fortunate in that the vast majority of mousekeeping issues we have encountered have been fairly minor, such as the mysterious phone calls at 8:00 AM, constant knocks on the door on check out day, missing sheets, trash left, broken armoires, dirty carpets, etc. We allways stop by the front desk to report any issues and they are usually taken care of within 24 hours.

However, we've also experienced a couple of pretty major issues such as a sink water leak that left our carpet soaked where it was obvious Mousekeeping didn't report it to Maintenence as well as a run in with an incredibly rude SSR Mousekeeping CM.

If Disney is so critically understaffed in Mousekeeping as Sammie has indicated, perhaps it really is time that members voice their concerns directly with DVC en masse.

So the basic problem is they said one thing and didn't produce results if I understand correctly. If you had simply been told at the beginning -"We are sorry it will be at least 4PM before a room is ready" would you have felt differently? In my opinion that is what they should have said and then if it had been earlier you would have been happy except for the dirty floor that is.

By TC Pluto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
The Passporter, nor whatever website twinand01 quotes are NOT official Disney guides or sites in any way. I could post that check-in time is 2:15, but that doesn't make it so.

Why would folks take a non-Disney published source over an actual DVC/Disney document?

my thoughts exactly.

As well, the OP rushed OKW into getting into the room, and then is upset at some perceived lack of cleanliness???

OP makes much out of her perception that she was lied to. Could it have been that OKW made every honest attempt to help her, and it just didn't work out? It seems a little understanding should go both ways...

Well.... IF all the guidebooks, etc, and Birnbaum's, Expedia, travelocity, etc SAY 4pm... Then, there will be a LOT more people complaining than just DVC people.... Say--200000 people or more who book thru these agents or read the books!!

Another thing no one has answered-WHY is BW INN ready at 3pm, and BWV at 4pm??

I agree with others, there is not enough manpower to clean rooms, but ALL the DVC properties are NOT cleaned everyday!!! This should be LESS of a problem at these resorts than as others than need cleaning everday!! This is my thinking anyway... Anybody have thoughts on this???

deerh

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter