• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Off to an awful start----LONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
These guidebooks, expedia, etc follow the Disney guidelines and go by what disney says.. WHY would they print misinformation for every hotel/villa? So..what you are saying is ALL check-in times are wrong at every travel webpage, and book? I don't think so, they call the resort, or whatever they do and use the information provided by the resort....

As for DVC and after 4, I check-in in 3 days at SSR (on a Wed), so we shall see what time I get in the room... Again, I ask, I know that DVC is harder to clean than the 'typical hotel', but DVC rooms are NOT CLEANED everyday... So, why the delay? Now on a Sunday (heavy check-in), I could SEE 4pm, maybe 4:15... but on a Wed, or Thur, or Monday?? NOPE!!

deerh
You would be suprised at how much misinformation is in these books, not just the WDW ones but almost all the ones I've used. A lot of good info but not always 100% correct they go with the best information at time of printing. Expedia does not update info nearly as much as they should. I'm not talking WDW specific since we don't use them for Disney.
As for check-in I'll be a little suprised if you don't get in by 4-4:30 at the latest on a weekday, but the folks complaining about 5:30 -6:00 on a Sunday during the busiest time of the year, sorry I just don't get it. Let us know what time you check-in and how long you wait for a room. Have a great trip:thumbsup2

Maybe the OKW staff was questioning the validity of the stated food poisioning, watching it get drowned in beer?

It still doesn't make the reaction you attribute to them right, but it could be an explanation. I might shake my head at the sight.

Easy, TCPluto... That isn't likely.

Maybe the OKW staff was questioning the validity of the stated food poisioning, watching it get drowned in beer?

It still doesn't make the reaction you attribute to them right, but it could be an explanation. I might shake my head at the sight.

Ok, my huband did not have a beer. Please read before you respond. All the behavior was before that. You seem to be asking for a fight and I'm not going to bite.

That the OP had a sickness and toddlers to deal with just compounded her frustration.

Going to the desk and constantly asking if your room is ready is akin to watching the pot of water boil. QUOTE]

You don't seem to get it. We were told the room would be ready in 1 hour. We waited 1 hour 15 minutes before we called. Then we waited another 45 minutes before we called again. Then we went up to the front and asked if there was a problem and that is when we started getting all the different stories. I did not have to deal with a toddler. My daughter took the oldest one and I opted to keep the 1 yo and he happened to sleep through the majority of the afternoon. My husband and I sat in Papa's Den. Went to breakfast and lunch at Olivia's. You are making it sound like we were in their faces the whole time. Like I said to you before, you were not there, you did not get different stories and if they would have told me at 1 pm (by the way we got there around 9:30 and it wasn't until dh was feeling worse that I called at 1) that they could not get it done until after 4, then so be it. My kids came back (all adults) and decided to have a beer. At that point they were hot and thirsty and yes, they were tired because they had planned their day knowing it would be 4. I don't see a problem with that since the cm's told us that any minute the room would be ready. As far as dealing with a sick member of the family, I deal with sick people everyday, some are dying, and I would never tell them what I thought they wanted to hear. That is not professional. You seem to forget that the cm's are working for "us" the owners as well as for Disney. I would not allow my employees to behave like that and if they did, they would be fired. Perhaps you don't mind people not being honest & trustworthy, and polite. I do. And I expect a clean room period. If you want to accept that sort of behavior and if you want to walk on a floor that is filthy then that is your choice. It just so happens not to be mine.

When you get there do you ever call to see if your room is ready throughout the day? Do you just show up after 4 and accept the fact that it is not and you have to wait? Is your room always spotless? Look at the kitchen and bathroom floors when you check in next time as well as the mold in the showers stalls. I can't imagine what would grow in a petrie dish!

The manager told me that on Land & Sea packages it is seamless. He also said they were trying to get the same to happen at DVC. Umm, most L&S's are cash and we did ours on points. We had a 2br before we left, 4 staterooms on the ship, and came back to a GV, all on points. I can't help but think if we were paying cash for all that, it would have been as the manager said, seamless.

I disagree with you, but you are much more invested in this arguement than I am. I'm only responding to what you write.

All I know for sure, is that there are two sides to every story, with the truth likely somewhere in the middle. It's human nature for anyone to place all of the blame on the other side of the story (no matter the tale).

That you can't allow that they may have attempted to get you in sooner but couldn't for whatever reason is telling. Instead you want to harp on that they lied to you.

I know there are bad cast members, late room readiness, and less than acceptable room cleanliness. Not because I've experienced it, I'm just going on the law of averages (we did have damp carpet one time from that monrings carpet cleaning).

I hope your next visit goes better.

Take care.

I disagree with you, but you are much more invested in this arguement than I am. I'm only responding to what you write.

All I know for sure, is that there are two sides to every story, with the truth likely somewhere in the middle. It's human nature for anyone to place all of the blame on the other side of the story (no matter the tale).

That you can't allow that they may have attempted to get you in sooner but couldn't for whatever reason is telling. Instead you want to harp on that they lied to you.

I know there are bad cast members, late room readiness, and less than acceptable room cleanliness. Not because I've experienced it, I'm just going on the law of averages (we did have damp carpet one time from that monrings carpet cleaning).

Take care.

Fine then, we agree to disagree. I want to hear from you though the first time somewhere in the middle happens to you. I am not harping on the fact they lied. Again, you did not read the post. We were going by what the cm's told us. The room was dirty after they said they spent all day cleaning it. I guess everyone on this board is "telling a tale" when they have a complaint. I'm glad you have had perfect stays. I can't imagine living in a perfect world but good for you. I hope it continues. I guess that pixie dust really works for some.

Fine then, we agree to disagree. I want to hear from you though the first time somewhere in the middle happens to you. I am not harping on the fact they lied. Again, you did not read the post. We were going by what the cm's told us. The room was dirty after they said they spent all day cleaning it. I guess everyone on this board is "telling a tale" when they have a complaint. I'm glad you have had perfect stays. I can't imagine living in a perfect world but good for you. I hope it continues. I guess that pixie dust really works for some.

You might have hit on something. I don't think I live in a perfect world, in fact, I'm confidnet I don't. And I don't expect it to be either. Maybe that's the difference.

This happens all the time when I look at WDW dining critiques. People say all of these horrible things about restaurants where I thought the food was very good. I've come to the conclusion, at least as far as dining, that my family must not be very discriminating; we like it all! Except the Chef's of France, we did have a bad meal there.

You might have hit on something. I don't think I live in a perfect world, in fact, I'm confidnet I don't. And I don't expect it to be either. Maybe that's the difference.

This happens all the time when I look at WDW dining critiques. People say all of these horrible things about restaurants where I thought the food was very good. I've come to the conclusion, at least as far as dining, that my family must not be very discriminating; we like it all! Except the Chef's of France, we did have a bad meal there.

We've had decent meals at Chef's de France but the servers smell when they reach across you, you can smell their armpits. Not very appetizing to say the least. Italy used to be excellent but the past few meals we've had have not been. Now Japan, I've never had a bad meal there but I have heard others have.

Thousands of people will go to sleep tonight in shelters...

But what does it matter, you had to wait an extra hour for a room at your home-away-from-home.

Hundreds of children are sick to their stomachs everyday at St. Jude's hospital...

But your husband gets our sympathy because he ate a bad taco on board a wonderful ship in the carribean, while vacationing.

To you I'm sure the sky was falling and life was horrible at that moment, but to us it just seems like you need to take a moment and breath. If the worst thing in your life is waiting for a room, a dirty floor and a stomach ailment, your way ahead!

I know these boards are here for everyone to vent on, but doesn't it all seem a little ridiculous in the big scheme of things?

But what does it matter, you had to wait an extra hour for a room at your home-away-from-home.

Hundreds of children are sick to their stomachs everyday at St. Jude's hospital...

But your husband gets our sympathy because he ate a bad taco on board a wonderful ship in the carribean, while vacationing.

To you I'm sure the sky was falling and life was horrible at that moment, but to us it just seems like you need to take a moment and breath. If the worst thing in your life is waiting for a room, a dirty floor and a stomach ailment, your way ahead!

I know these boards are here for everyone to vent on, but doesn't it all seem a little ridiculous in the big scheme of things?

I don't think this is a fair post. This is what your parents told you when you wouldn't eat your spinach. You could say this to anyone at anytime they complain about anything.

What is the big scheme of things anyway? All humanity is but an insignificant blip in time in a galaxy among billions of galaxies. The OP had a bad experience. Maybe some their fault, maybe some DVC fault.

There was much back and forth in the beginning of this thread, but it was not sarcastic. It now seems sarcasm has taken over.

I for one am done with this thread.

So what is your point? He did not eat a bad taco. And I didn't need a moment to breath, I breathe fine. If you want to walk on a dirty floor, then so be it. Perhaps when it happens to you, you will give up your DVC membership and give it to St. Jude's or a homeless shelter. You must either be very jealous or very mean. You should be ashamed of yourself.I understand the grand scheme of things, I deal with cancer every day. Do you? Do you even know what suffering is? From the sound of your post, I really don't think so.

I definitely see your point here...being inconvenienced while on what to many seems the "trip of a lifetime" is totally insignificant when compared with issues of hunger and homelessness.

However, these boards are not the Stop World Hunger and End Homelessness Boards. These are the Disney boards where everyone talks about all things Disney...the good and the bad. To the OP, this was one of the "bads."

I agree with DisDaydreamer, this was pretty unfair. You can apply that same logic to just about any topic of conversation or activity in anyone's daily lives.

The OP's DH, got food poisoning (while on a Disney cruise!) and was still ill upon check-in at OKW. It just seems to me that a little more humanity should have been been warranted in this situation and a little more creativity and common sense used to try to assist some guests in a difficult situation.

I can understand that the GV might not have been ready on time (despite having to wait past 4:00 which is a whole "nuther discussion) but someone should have stepped up to the plate and gotten them something (such as a studio) until the GV was ready because a member of the party was ill.

It would have been the right thing to do given the situation.

Well I can totally understand your frustrations with the room. Everyone in a service industry knows never promise what you can`t deliver and with your husbands sickness who would have thought a little sympathy would be so difficult.
I hope the rest of your trip was better and you enjoyed the cruise :grouphug:

I can understand the original post. I was at OKW on the DDP and got a stomach virus --food poisoning ???-- as well as one other memeber... This happened on Wed. of our trip that started on Sunday. I did call the front desk to make them aware and they could care less period I asked if there was a way to get part of DDP back and they transferd me to the claims dept. I got a letter a few weeks later that I filled out and then a phone call abput a month after that saying Dinsey was not responsable without even asking what I was looking for (37.99) for the day I could not eat --It was longer but we did make an effort to use the credits ;) It does seem that from the start someone at OKW could have helped but just brushed it off with nothing more that I will transfer you... No I never got the 37.99 back it just was not worth the headaches and they were rude and acted like I was trying to sue them...they did tell me the OKW should have helped me that and it should come out of thier budget :confused3
This does not make dislike Disney... But it seems that they do not care about true issues anymore... maybe they get a lot of false isues???

I'm sure they do. I can remember years ago hearing people laughing in the bar and bragging because they complained about something and were comp'd a meal, etc. The guy said he did it all the time. Sad isn't it.

I definitely see your point here...being inconvenienced while on what to many seems the "trip of a lifetime" is totally insignificant when compared with issues of hunger and homelessness.

However, these boards are not the Stop World Hunger and End Homelessness Boards. These are the Disney boards where everyone talks about all things Disney...the good and the bad. To the OP, this was one of the "bads."
As is evident from my previous posts I am not exactly 100% behind the OP. Yes even though things did not start out on a magical note it is not the end of the world. But as you stated ( much better than I would) we are not comparing the OP to the "end of the world", but to previous trips and one families expectations. My expectations may differ from OP but that does not make hers any less valid. IMO we go to WDW to forget about world hunger, aids etc.

I think I've read a fair amount of opinions on the issue. I can understand some frustration on the part of the OP. It can be annoying to receive conflicting information from multiple sources, especially when one is worried about a sick family member. No doubt, I would have been aggravated in the moment, as well.

That said, I think it may be an exercise in futility to keep pointing out (and being upset) that the front desk promised to help and didn't come through. I take at face value that the CM who told you they could get you in sooner did want to help. For whatever reason, the promise was not kept.

I doubt very much that the CM went out of his or her way to make a promise and then not keep it. Getting stuck on this issue is going to do nothing but irritate you over and over again. Maybe someone made a mistake. Not on purpose. Mistakes do happen.

I understand OP's frustration. I do. But sometimes in life, things just don't go the way we want them to. I would have been aggravated, too. Not because I didn't get into my villa until 4:00 PM since that's not a guarantee (no matter what someone promises to try to do as a favor). My issue would have been that we got into the villa at or after the standard check-in time and it wasn't clean. Period.

If I received attitude, that is something I might want to address, too (sometimes, it isn't worth it).

The question I have is, what would the OP like to see happen now that this situation has already passed? Does she want to pursue further action with the resort, or with member satisfaction? I believe there was some mention of possibly selling the contract. Curious to know what her next step is.

Not sure what we are going to do. We are going to address the Scott issue and the dirt issue. I'm just amazed that people are ok with the fact that you go on a vacation and have to put up with attitude with people who are suppose to be doing their jobs. We were perfectly willing, especially since we have made many many trips there, (which was the reason fo buying 2000) points, to wait until check in. We have many times and many times the room was available before check in. That is why everyone else went on their way. Common sense told us not to take my dh out in the heat or to any parks.

As it was pointed out, these boards are for good and bad. Just because someone has a bad experience doesn't necessarily mean it is their fault. Some people will not fault Disney for anything. I also don't think people commenting on St. Jude's or world hunger is appropriate. That is just mean spirited and somewhat amusing they would state that when they own a piece of the magic as well. They should sell their points and give it all to charity if they feel they can make a comment to me like that. I always forget how this board can be, which is why I have so few posts.

1) I am sorry about the wait.
2) However, let's look at a few things.
. . . rooms are checked-in AFTER 4:00pm
. . . there have been times we gave rooms to guests after 8:00pm
. . . availability of housekeepers is frequently a problem
. . . the Ready Room theory is good, but not for Grand Villas
. . . the GV's are usually so booked they are almost always pre-assigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter