*Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Runners' Thread!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had just about given up the idea of Goofy. But, if I could walk the half, maybe I can do it. Hmmm. I'll have to train for faster walking... Thanks for enabling me!

unless you train with walking one day, running the next - you might find it harder to walk the half and then run the full, rather than doing the half at an easy pace. remember, walking uses different muscles than running, and walking takes a lot longer (so more time on your feet) just some food for thought!

unless you train with walking one day, running the next - you might find it harder to walk the half and then run the full, rather than doing the half at an easy pace. remember, walking uses different muscles than running, and walking takes a lot longer (so more time on your feet) just some food for thought!

I would definitely train that way. Walking is a lot less impact on my knees, which is my limiting factor. My walking pace is not much slower than my running pace, both pretty slow. And I would choose walking as my cross training as well. Still thinking about it, though.

For the experienced people... I'm doing my first 1/2 in November (naturally the wine and dine) and while I definitely want to do another 1/2, how realistic is it for a new runner to do the full? or dare I say the Goofy? I started running in January (the same weekend as the marathon, actually) and am easily doing 6 miles for my long weekend run, but have reading that doing a full marathon in the first year can cause injuries...
I can't believe I'm even considering this as an option. Where are the flying pigs that were more likely?

For the experienced people... I'm doing my first 1/2 in November (naturally the wine and dine) and while I definitely want to do another 1/2, how realistic is it for a new runner to do the full? or dare I say the Goofy? I started running in January (the same weekend as the marathon, actually) and am easily doing 6 miles for my long weekend run, but have reading that doing a full marathon in the first year can cause injuries...
I can't believe I'm even considering this as an option. Where are the flying pigs that were more likely?

I think you can do the full without any problem as long as you start training for it early enough. You don't want to train for just the half and then try to start your training up to the full because you won't have enough time to get all your mileage in before January. If you start training for the full in early fall and use the half as part of your training, you should be fine.

As for getting injured, I don't think the first year has anything to do with it. Most injuries are caused by overuse, and that can happen in any year of a person's running career. It's probably more likely in your first year of running because you're going from no miles to lots of miles. That said, as long as your training program has you raising your mileage slowly and moderately, has plenty of rest days and cut-back weeks, and incorporates cross training to strengthen the rest of your body, I wouldn't be overly concerned about injury.

The full I would say is doable if you're careful and manage your training right, the Goofy on the other hand...I would wait. Have at least two or three fulls under your belt before you consider it. The jump from the half to the full distance is a BIG jump and is a lot more tiring. Do not do Goofy before you do the full because you'll going from 13.1 on one day to 39.3 on two days. And you will be feeling the 13.1 the next day even if you're careful.

And I can account for injuries with having run for five months I attempted the Napa Marathon. Not the best decision of my life. I badly sprained my left ankle. Now I still run but wear a brace anytime I top 10 miles. Ifs not impossible, but as my trainer said its best to have at least 6 months of solid training before doing a full. And doing a half breaks it up a little since you're supposed to rest a bit to allow for a recovery.

Hi, all - found this thread today after not being on for a few weeks - kind of confused. It says "Princess 2013" but am seeing mostly info regarding the January weekend?

Hi, all - found this thread today after not being on for a few weeks - kind of confused. It says "Princess 2013" but am seeing mostly info regarding the January weekend?

After 20+ pages the OP decided to change this thread to just the Princess race after finding it too hard to keep track of everyone doing the January races.

It is confusing. I'm thinking this thread should be closed and new ones for Marathon Weekend and for the Princess be started. Actually, I'll go ahead and start the Marathon Weekend one right now since no one else has yet! :)

And here's the link to the Official Marathon Weekend 2013 thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2898010

I think you can do the full without any problem as long as you start training for it early enough. You don't want to train for just the half and then try to start your training up to the full because you won't have enough time to get all your mileage in before January. If you start training for the full in early fall and use the half as part of your training, you should be fine.

As for getting injured, I don't think the first year has anything to do with it. Most injuries are caused by overuse, and that can happen in any year of a person's running career. It's probably more likely in your first year of running because you're going from no miles to lots of miles. That said, as long as your training program has you raising your mileage slowly and moderately, has plenty of rest days and cut-back weeks, and incorporates cross training to strengthen the rest of your body, I wouldn't be overly concerned about injury.

Thank you for all of your knowledge!! :worship:

It is confusing. I'm thinking this thread should be closed and new ones for Marathon Weekend and for the Princess be started. Actually, I'll go ahead and start the Marathon Weekend one right now since no one else has yet! :)

And here's the link to the Official Marathon Weekend 2013 thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2898010

Thank you for starting a new thread!! I was hoping someone would do that.. sorry about all the confusion!

After 20+ pages the OP decided to change this thread to just the Princess race after finding it too hard to keep track of everyone doing the January races.

Someone should start a thread for the Tinkerbell!
I'm too much of a newbie to start an 'official' thread :rolleyes1

I think it's very personal based on the runner. it's much easier for - lets say a young male in his 30s who is already fit from other sports and maybe even ran track in high school/college - to jump into marathon training than an older new runner who is out of shape, prone to injury due to biomechanical factors, etc.

i ran my first marathon after about a year and a half of running, and i wasn't ready for it based on my base mileage. i mean yes, i finished, but it wasn't fun, i was upset over my finishing time, i ended up nursing an injury post-race, and it took me a few months for running to be "fun" again. based on that experience, i would much rather stay at home or run the half then run a full marathon as unprepared as i was. but i'm also not a natural runner either, and have to work very, very hard to get to be a somewhat "average" runner. i'm not sure a new runner who is a naturally "better" runner than i am would necessarily have the same experience as i did. again, i think it's very personal. same reasons why two runners can follow the same exact training plan, and each end up with wildly different race results.

i would say follow a training plan and see how it goes, but hold off on signing up for the actual race until you have the bulk of the training under your belt (unless the race gets close to selling out and it becomes a now-or-never situation) when you get into the 16+ mile long runs, i think you'll kind of know where you stand.

Good evening,
I will be there next year. It will be my first time running the Princess but I did the Minnie 15k in 2007 and I loved it. So after doing the 2010 Donald half-marathon in freezing rain in 2010, the Wine and Dine in 2011, I am ready for the Princess.
I am now training for the half marathon in Ottawa,Ont at the end of May.
Do you know when registration open for the Princess???
Diane

thanks for all your suggestions-- I have to say, everyone on here is making me really excited to do the 1/2 marathon in October. I think it'll be a great group to run with!

Good evening,
I will be there next year. It will be my first time running the Princess but I did the Minnie 15k in 2007 and I loved it. So after doing the 2010 Donald half-marathon in freezing rain in 2010, the Wine and Dine in 2011, I am ready for the Princess.
Diane

Princess registration typically is in June/July

Is anyone WALKING (or has anyone WALKED) the Goofy Challenge? I'm thinking about it in 2013.

I did the Princess half this year. I walked it with my mother. It was our first half marathon, she's 65 and I'm VERY proud of her.

After that marathon, I realized I love getting medals. The idea of getting 3 medals is too tempting to resist.

Everyone keeps talking about running or walk/run. Where are the walkers???!! It's an honorable mode of mobility!!

If you are out there, let's talk it up!!

Congrats to you & your mom!! My mom is turning 60 this year and '13 will be her first half marathon as well :)

Good evening,
Diane

Registration is July 10.

thanks for all your suggestions-- I have to say, everyone on here is making me really excited to do the 1/2 marathon in October. I think it'll be a great group to run with!

I can't wait to hear about your experience, I'm excited for you!

Yeah, I got really confused too!

The princess threads tend to get a lot of traffic, so maybe we need a new one?

The flying pigs are most likely in Cinncinati at the Fly Pig Marathon/half Marathon (sorry I couldn't help myself.) I'd definately do a full before trying Goofy training for Goofy takes alot of time back to back days ect. Just my opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter