Official 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend Thread

Did anyone see the bib thief get detained by the cops? She's been stealing bibs for years, and there's a video online of the police stopping her as she gets her medal.
Awesome. Glad she finally got caught!
Now for the really, really bad, though. Mrs @camaker was running her first ever 10k from Corral J. On a hot, humid morning like this one THEY RAN OUT OF WATER CUPS!! That's inexcusable in a local race, much less a feature race of the size and stature of RunDisney. Especially after how much they trumpeted the need to hydrate for safety in the pre-race.
Nooooo. Come on, runDisney! That is unacceptable. :sad2: For a hot, humid weekend and a 10K costing over $100?? Come on.

Not just water...I saw absolutely no Powerade on the course. I am going by the expo to get a sweat band anyway so I'm going by the booth to ask what the deal with that is. Normally at least one stop is stocked with Powerade on the 10k. And this is not the weather to be lacking in it.

My friend had to pull herself half way through. Which we suspected might happen but I still felt bad that the weather was that severe that she couldn't finish with the clothes she had to wear (compression clothes).

I finished and was cramping by the end. And that was with downing 40 oz of Powerade through the race. I am going to carry a couple of bananas tomorrow since it looks like I am going to need more then just run of the mill Powerade.

Had a great time in the 10k, too! Was planning to take it easy in preparation for the half tomorrow but I was feeling good at the start and decided to go for it! Ended up with a shiny new PR by 2:51! Loved the course and the characters!

Now for the really, really bad, though. Mrs @camaker was running her first ever 10k from Corral J. On a hot, humid morning like this one THEY RAN OUT OF WATER CUPS!! That's inexcusable in a local race, much less a feature race of the size and stature of RunDisney. Especially after how much they trumpeted the need to hydrate for safety in the pre-race.

That is just unacceptable. I hope they get it together on that front by tomorrow. Other than this issue, I thought the race today was well done. Security was quick...but then again we were early since we've never entered the corrals from the Ball Rd direction before and didn't know what to expect. The photo ops in the staging area were cute so we took some photos there. I saw lots of characters on course. I usually don't stop for pictures but they sure make me smile as I run by.

Was thrilled to run into @Keels on the course! She provided encouragement and a much needed boost when I really needed one. Thank you @Keels!!

That is just unacceptable. I hope they get it together on that front by tomorrow. Other than this issue, I thought the race today was well done. Security was quick...but then again we were early since we've never entered the corrals from the Ball Rd direction before and didn't know what to expect. The photo ops in the staging area were cute so we took some photos there. I saw lots of characters on course. I usually don't stop for pictures but they sure make me smile as I run by.

Was thrilled to run into @Keels on the course! She provided encouragement and a much needed boost when I really needed one. Thank you @Keels!!

You looked AMAZING!! I was so proud of you!!

+++++++++++++++

If anyone was planning on joining my meetup, I'm going to have to reschedule for tomorrow. Our lunch is running WAAAAAAAY long and I won't be able to be over there in time.

I loved the course today and thought everything ran pretty smoothly from security to corrals, etc. I thought we were near the back of the race and there was plenty of water being handed out. I guess we weren't as far back as we thought. That's crazy that they ran out. I don't usually drink anything on a 10K but it was hot enough today that I did for sure!

Good luck everyone running tomorrow! Keep hydrating!

I too was pretty surprised there was no Powerade or anything this morning in the 10K. In this heat you need more than water to replace what you have lost. I seriously hope it is there tomorrow. I got a bit queasy at about km6 this morning and could have done with a few sips of Powerade to settle the stomach.

I was a bit frustrated in course this morning. I know it is hot, and that a lot of people chose to walk (or walk more than they planned) as a result, but what annoyed me was that people in the early corrals (I was in E) were walking 3,4, 5, even 6 (!) across within the first kilometre. As a result there was pushing and weaving and dangerous behaviour from those trying to run. Remember folks, stay right, and don't block the entire course if walking.

DW just remembered that at the first Dark Side 10k there was a water station that was pulling cups from the packaging and filling them as needed, if you wanted to wait. We think they may have been on the verge of running out (or had) and were just restocking. That was also a very humid morning. Humidity seems to be throwing off their calculations, for both race directors.

Last edited:

This morning was so much fun, albeit sticky. My time wasn't that far off what I was doing in training, which I'll take considering the weather and the amount of weaving I had to do.

I'm in awe of people that do all three races...and the Parks...in one weekend.

While I didn't like the 5am start time, I forgive it because everything else about this one was so much nicer than Tink. Security was only one-time and was (as others say) quick, characters were practically everywhere on the course (they took the chance to pull a lot of stuff from the Pixar Play Parade and put it out for photos in DCA, which was neat), and other live entertainment (the Soundsational drummers and a couple of live jazz bands near the finish): and I didn't have to listen to "Following the Leader" 500 times! Especially nice was that the corrals were smaller in size: there were way more of them than Tink but each one was smaller so when we started it was much less of a stampede than Tink. There were more water stops than they've had in the last few DL 10k's as well. And the DJ on the back stretch of DCA when you're on that final mile put on Uptown Funk, which pepped me right up through a stretch that gave me struggles last time.

The weather got me a little bit and I too got a bit queasy around km6 (and water wasn't particularly helping) so Powerade or something would have been nice, but this is only my 4th 10k ever (4 Disneyland ones in a row!!!) and all of the previous ones weren't nearly so hot so I didn't realize that'd happen. I may have to carry an emergency stash of Powerade next time.

I noticed they had a lot more corrals this morning, but with the intentions of making each corral smaller. I didn't mind it and thought it worked great. Security wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be after reading horror stories from previous race weekends. Tomorrow will be the real test to see if RD has adjusted accordingly to handle the crowds.

I definitely liked how they had the DJ music playing throughout most of DCA, but then DL had nothing besides music similar to what they played at the starting line.

Edit: Also, this was my first race with Photopass photographers on the course instead of the other company RD would have before. I have to say these pictures are better and love the convenience of being able to have all pictures linked to my account after putting in the code on the app!

Last edited:
While I didn't like the 5am start time, I forgive it because everything else about this one was so much nicer than Tink. Security was only one-time and was (as others say) quick, characters were practically everywhere on the course (they took the chance to pull a lot of stuff from the Pixar Play Parade and put it out for photos in DCA, which was neat), and other live entertainment (the Soundsational drummers and a couple of live jazz bands near the finish): and I didn't have to listen to "Following the Leader" 500 times! Especially nice was that the corrals were smaller in size: there were way more of them than Tink but each one was smaller so when we started it was much less of a stampede than Tink. There were more water stops than they've had in the last few DL 10k's as well. And the DJ on the back stretch of DCA when you're on that final mile put on Uptown Funk, which pepped me right up through a stretch that gave me struggles last time.

The weather got me a little bit and I too got a bit queasy around km6 (and water wasn't particularly helping) so Powerade or something would have been nice, but this is only my 4th 10k ever (4 Disneyland ones in a row!!!) and all of the previous ones weren't nearly so hot so I didn't realize that'd happen. I may have to carry an emergency stash of Powerade next time.

When I passed, the 2nd band at the 6 mile mark was still setting up (or taking an extended break) but -wow!-that 1st band was killing it! I would've loved to just stop and listen for awhile. They sounded fantastic.

All right - how are we all feeling about tomorrow?

Im in good spirits and ready to do this thing. Hoping the heat holds off until after 8am but we will see.

Stay hydrated everyone!!

Cautiously optimistic for tomorrow. Not liking the forecast too much at this point, so I'm glad I went for it this morning and PR'ed the 10k. Now the pressure is off having an all out effort and I can focus on just enjoying the half.

Hope everyone has a fun, safe race! See you on the course!

FYI, the final instructions that came with your shirt for the race specified there is only water for the 10k. Water and Powerade is only for the Half Marathon.

FYI, the final instructions that came with your shirt for the race specified there is only water for the 10k. Water and Powerade is only for the Half Marathon.

I realized after that after talking to someone. For some reason I thought they had had it on the course before so my bad.

I still wish that they had had it this once with the weather though.

When I passed, the 2nd band at the 6 mile mark was still setting up (or taking an extended break) but -wow!-that 1st band was killing it! I would've loved to just stop and listen for awhile. They sounded fantastic.

They were AMAZING!!! M and I were trying to decide if it was real or piped in music and when we turned the corner to see their whole Vegas/Big Band setup ... I just wanted to hang out for a while!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter