******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question....

I think I got some dates that will be a good deal and work for us.

My only concern is flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Are the prices of flights usually crazy that weekend?
We flew Black Friday on SWA last year. It was the cheapest for us.

We flew Black Friday on SWA last year. It was the cheapest for us.
We are flying on Black Friday this year. Did you find the airports busier, calmer or about normal? My thoughts are most people will be traveling before thanksgiving and then home on Sunday.

We are flying on Black Friday this year. Did you find the airports busier, calmer or about normal? My thoughts are most people will be traveling before thanksgiving and then home on Sunday.
It was pretty calm! No issues! Hoping for the same travel day this year, unless Thursday night is cheaper.

I know that my flight will be about 100 more for my group moving it back to the day I need to go now. I already added that to the savings i might get.

A bit off topic but I'm not sure where else to post and everyone here is so helpful... I am travelling with 4 adults, 1 child and 1 under 3... Should I reserve for 5 or 6 ppl for TS? We will have DDP, and I know they charge 18% gratuity for parties of 6, just not sure if we would be considered 5 or 6.

We also traveled Black Friday last year on SWA. Lowest price and our flight from Pittsburgh was not full- which has never happened before. The airport was not crowded at all. Fares on Thanksgiving Day and the Saturday and Sunday after were definitely higher.

I may be wrong, but under 3 I think are not charged. I wouldn't reserve for her but let the staff know when you arrive maybe?

We also traveled Black Friday last year on SWA. Lowest price and our flight from Pittsburgh was not full- which has never happened before. The airport was not crowded at all. Fares on Thanksgiving Day and the Saturday and Sunday after were definitely higher.
We flew from Pittsburgh too! Thanksgiving was definitely more expensive. I priced both days.

I don't think anyone meant any disrespect towards teachers and principals. I think most were merely saying that as parents we have the right to take our children out of school for vacation. I think all vacations can be educational.

I think schools are somewhat inconsistent though as often you see the sports teams, bands etc take time away from school and these aren't ever questioned. Not all of them are educational. How many bands go to Disney annually?
Agreed. There are so many wonderful teachers out there, they don't get enough credit by a long shot, but that doesn't mean that they'll all be 100% understanding. Just look at the "discussions" on this forum regarding whether it's okay to pull kids from school for vacation, it gets very heated. It would be nice to think that everyone was understanding, but that's probably not the case. You can worry that a teacher is judging you (and find that annoying) while still respecting teaching as a profession and keeping in mind district policies.

I hope you didn't take any offense to my "this is fun" comment. I totally understand the whirlwind of planning. Sometimes it is fun however for ME to step outside of my own planning and look at someone else's scenario. That's all I meant.

I agree that the room only discounts on both rooms wouldnt be the best way to go. As for the different free dining scenarios, you have to look at how much your party will likely eat. And you are completely correct that I didn't factor in the upcharge of having additional adults in the cost of the room.

Adding free dining and upgrading for both rooms= $468 for 20 adult TS, 12 kid TS, 32 QS, 64 snacks, and 8 mugs

Adding free dining and upgrading to one room with 4 adults= $336+ $120 (I think each add'l adult is $15/nt) so $446 for 16 adult TS, 16 QS, 32 snacks, 4 mugs, and $200ish room discount

Upgrading to DxDP in one room with 1 adult and 3 kids= $446.96+ $120 (add'l charge for adults in other room) so $566.96 for 48 TS or QS meals, 32 snacks, 4 mugs, and $200ish room discount

The second scenario probably makes the least sense. Between the first and the third, it would mostly come down to how much people will probably eat, how willing they will be to share, and if the additional meals, snacks, and mugs in the first scenario will all be utilized or if the $200ish room discount but lesser meals, snacks, and mugs in the third scenario would be a better option.

Took it all in fun and I appreciate your insights!

A bit off topic but I'm not sure where else to post and everyone here is so helpful... I am travelling with 4 adults, 1 child and 1 under 3... Should I reserve for 5 or 6 ppl for TS? We will have DDP, and I know they charge 18% gratuity for parties of 6, just not sure if we would be considered 5 or 6.
You should reserve a space on your reservation for all in the party to make sure you get a big enough table. They will not charge you, though, for the child. Not quite sure, though, if at the end you get charged as a party of 6. But, would recommend the table size . . .

I've very much enjoyed following this thread. I was wondering... if you do not have any room reservations or confirmation number... can you still make dining reservations on line? I'm looking to go in august if by the grace of God I can snag free dining. I've tried it on line, but it doesn't seem to work?

I may be wrong, but under 3 I think are not charged. I wouldn't reserve for her but let the staff know when you arrive maybe?

But if you only book for 5, you may end up with a table that won't have room for everyone. I think the automatic gratuity will kick in based on the number of people who order meals, not reserve seats. Then again, is it really an issue for the 18%? I would probably just tip that anyways for our party of 2.

I've very much enjoyed following this thread. I was wondering... if you do not have any room reservations or confirmation number... can you still make dining reservations on line? I'm looking to go in august if by the grace of God I can snag free dining. I've tried it on line, but it doesn't seem to work?
Yes, you should be able to get reservations for up to 180 days out WITHOUT current reservation.

I found just the opposite, brought DD home on Thanksgiving, MCO-BDL, for $79, cheapest flight all week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter