******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I used FD was in December of 2009. Back then I just got online and saw that this deal was available. I took weeks to think about it and decide, and I was still able to book two rooms. I didn't even start planning until fall either. Has it really gotten this competitive?

Yes.

The first time I went to Disney in August 2010, I booked free dining just three weeks before my trip, though the promotion had been available to book for months. There was tons of availability for standard rooms at both value and moderates.

Oh my gosh, I'm so confused now I don't know what I said. :rotfl:

You're right. I was just thinking that KimBean meant that there was lots of availability in May for royal rooms. I didn't clue in to the fact she said for booking in December. I didn't see the option to book at POR past October 1st. I agree, she must have got some pixie dust. :)

See. Everyone tells me I'm crazy. Bahahaha!!! im glad the world is right again.

The last time I used FD was in December of 2009. Back then I just got online and saw that this deal was available. I took weeks to think about it and decide, and I was still able to book two rooms. I didn't even start planning until fall either. Has it really gotten this competitive?

Like a completely different universe. Remember 2009 was still the recession too. Completely different. We were there in 2007 -million dreams year. Best thing ever. No one was there. Not as dead as January 1995 - my honeymoon but close.

I am going with DD too see it tomorrow! My oldest DS doesn't want to go so DH is stuck home with the boys.:)
I hope you both enjoy it! My oldest DD didn't really want to see it either so when my youngest DD's friend invited her to go, she was thrilled! She really wanted to see the movie when she found out "Olaf" was in it. When I picked her up she was so excited. Maybe your DH and the boys could have a movie day of their own at home.

So if all of the few available FD packages are going to be booked up within hours or days, mostly by those of us who are already planning to go or even already have vacations booked why is Disney offering this deal at all? It doesn't seem like it's enticing people who wouldn't other wise be going.

Am I missing something? Why don't they offer more rooms in the deal to attract more people? Or why don't they just stop this deal all together if we'd go without it any way?

Sorry if I'm bringing the mood down. I just want to understand.

So if all of the few available FD packages are going to be booked up within hours or days, mostly by those of us who are already planning to go or even already have vacations booked why is Disney offering this deal at all? It doesn't seem like it's enticing people who wouldn't other wise be going.

Am I missing something? Why don't they offer more rooms in the deal to attract more people? Or why don't they just stop this deal all together if we'd go without it any way?

Sorry if I'm bringing the mood down. I just want to understand.

Just My opinion... if you aren't picky on dates or where you stay then you can get free dining a few weeks after it drops. The higher room rate you are willing to pay the easier it is. I think us stalkers are because we have certain dates or resorts that we want or make it financially feasible to go. Moderates are the sweet spot in my opinion for free dining and this year those rooms are limited by construction. That leaves values which I am willing to do but will go pretty fast. I can't afford deluxe so for me I need to stalk and get what I need best way to do that is try to snatch it up quick or check multiple times a day until I get it.

Just My opinion... if you aren't picky on dates or where you stay then you can get free dining a few weeks after it drops. The higher room rate you are willing to pay the easier it is. I think us stalkers are because we have certain dates or resorts that we want or make it financially feasible to go. Moderates are the sweet spot in my opinion for free dining and this year those rooms are limited by construction. That leaves values which I am willing to do but will go pretty fast. I can't afford deluxe so for me I need to stalk and get what I need best way to do that is try to snatch it up quick or check multiple times a day until I get it.

That makes sense. So it's more the prefect room and date that has people feverishly waiting.

I'm all about the excitement and following along here for rumors and updates. It's just all starting to make me a little nervous that maybe there are so few rooms that it's as likely that I'll be chosen to stay in the castle as get FD.

That makes sense. So it's more the prefect room and date that has people feverishly waiting.

I'm all about the excitement and following along here for rumors and updates. It's just all starting to make me a little nervous that maybe there are so few rooms that it's as likely that I'll be chosen to stay in the castle as get FD.

Last year I took a few days to compare free dining to the room only discount. The rates and room availability were still similar when I checked up on it later.
I didn't check weeks later (we went with the room only discount since we already had park tickets), but last year was also a year for stalking the release date like addicts.
This year I'm stalking for exactly what Kim says; I need the discount to even go (and I must go! lol). Just like Kim, I have specific dates in mind and also trying for a moderate. Not everyone plans to this extent and I'm sure Disney keeps that in mind :)

anyone stay at yc/BC? I currently Have the WL FD BB but if I have to go earlier WL seems to be sold out 8/23 (our trip would include that date). We're leaning towards BC as a back up but I saw YC is a little cheaper. Is there a difference? I know they share the same pool. I picture more kids on the BC side and more adults on the YC side. I have 2 boys who will be 4 and almost 6 at the time. Would we be frowned upon for having kids on the YC side?!? We're hardly at the resort just for afternoon pool time and to sleep! o_O

anyone stay at yc/BC? I currently Have the WL FD BB but if I have to go earlier WL seems to be sold out 8/23 (our trip would include that date). We're leaning towards BC as a back up but I saw YC is a little cheaper. Is there a difference? I know they share the same pool. I picture more kids on the BC side and more adults on the YC side. I have 2 boys who will be 4 and almost 6 at the time. Would we be frowned upon for having kids on the YC side?!? We're hardly at the resort just for afternoon pool time and to sleep! o_O
BC/YC is wonderful, I wouldn't think you would be frowned upon, but I actually like staying on the BC side because it's just a little bit less of a walk to Epcot, either one you can't go wrong. Enjoy your stay!!!

Perfect room, to some extent. But cheapest room for many. Free dining begins to lose it's value if you are booking the most expensive room at a moderate or have to book a deluxe to get the FD offer. Deluxe rooms are usually the last to be booked up, so there will be some availability there, but you may be better off booking a room only discount depending on how many people are in your room.

FD opened at around 4am. The boards always go down at about that time each morning and usually open up again just before 6am.
So I'm confused. If the boards go down at 4 a.m. how are people booking the FD at that time, like many people have talked about? I think we are all getting to be a little OCD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter